Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Things I learned during my clutch install

Old 11-09-2009, 04:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Things I learned during my clutch install

Here are a couple things I learned that I think the pros know, however for my first transmission drop, I had to learn the hard way...

Car is 00 SS with the T56.

Drain the transmission BEFORE removing it. I know this has been stated before, however it really makes life easier and cleaner.

The clutch alignment tool (the cheap plastic ones), are practically worthless once you start torqueing down the pressure plate. I was able to install the transmission without the bellhousing (to help align the input shaft into the pilot bearing) and torque the pressure plate bolts down, then remove the transmission and install the bellhousing. Then raise the transmission back up and it aligned perfectly.

The slave that Summit sells to go with their ls6 clutch kit (part # 89059282) is not the correct slave (actually the slave is correct, however the connection has approx 12 inches of braided cable). I am guessing that this is for a corvette or CTSV. Buy one from your local parts store our from one of the sponsers on this site.

When installing a new Torque Arm Mount, bolt the top bolt in before sliding the torque arm into the mount (assuming you unbolted the rear bolts from the differential). Then raise the rear end to match up the rear bolts.

Do not get ahead of yourself and try to re-fill the transmission fluid prior to installing the driveshaft or the fluid will just pour out the tailshaft!!!

Mobil 1 ATF smells horrible when spilled on the garage floor.

Transmission mounting bracket should be the last thing to install (since you need to torque the torque arm mount bolts to different specs).

Purchase a speed bleeder from Tick, very good investment.

When bleeding the clutch, do not look directly into the bleeder. Brake fluid burns your eyes.

That's all I can think about at the moment...like I said, they may sound like common sense, however if I did them, Im sure others will too.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jutt26

When bleeding the clutch, do not look directly into the bleeder. Brake fluid burns your eyes.

Some people have no idea how bad that is. It also takes all the tears out of your eyes so you cant blink out the brake fluid.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Outstanding information and quite entertaining, I must say.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dude. Everything you just said is sooo true! When I dropped the tranny I hadn't drained it and all the tranny fluid poured out onto the parking lot and I had to lay in tranny fluid for the entire install and I didn't have a creeper and my back was all cut up from getting in and out from under the car so the fluid was rubbed into my wounds for like 8 hours I actually did a little how to video, check it out for some funny stuff. I'm sure it'll bring back some good ol memories jut26.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/L...kes_638399.htm
Old 11-11-2009, 09:45 PM
On The Tree

Drain the transmission BEFORE removing it. I know this has been stated before, however it really makes life easier and cleaner.
Mobil 1 ATF smells horrible when spilled on the garage floor.
I learned both of these the hard my myself. I read time after time to drain it dont know why I thought I could get away without!!
Old 11-11-2009, 11:09 PM
Teching In

Default geez

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
I actually did a little how to video, check it out for some funny stuff. [/url]
Good grief. I thought I had it bad in the garage.

I actually used 2 floor jacks, one on the back of the tranny, one on the front. Both were pointed front to back under the car (with lift bars pointed away from each other) that allowed me to 'roll' the transmission forward and back out as needed to clear the exhaust.

The front jack was more an alignment tool for the input shaft than really lifting the transmission.

In this configuration, you can 'roll' the transmission towards the back of the car and get to the bolts holding the slave in if needed. You can also 'see saw' down and up the transmission to clear the exhaust and keep the tranny fairly level (although it does not prevent the fluid from draining out).

Nice video, maybe Ill take one of the stains the fluid left on my garage floor.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:56 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
Dude. Everything you just said is sooo true! When I dropped the tranny I hadn't drained it and all the tranny fluid poured out onto the parking lot and I had to lay in tranny fluid for the entire install and I didn't have a creeper and my back was all cut up from getting in and out from under the car so the fluid was rubbed into my wounds for like 8 hours I actually did a little how to video, check it out for some funny stuff. I'm sure it'll bring back some good ol memories jut26.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/L...kes_638399.htm
Haha!!! I love your explanation of how the tranny works. It shoots this red thing and shifts gears then vacuum puts it back. Awesome!!! I get to drop the tranny this winter for the first time. I'm excited I'll have to keep these things in mind.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Things I learned during my clutch install