Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

really bad noises, sorry its so long

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 12:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default really bad noises, sorry its so long

hey guys, i have asked so many people and cant get a straight answer, so maybe you can help.

the problem started about a month and a half ago, i backing out of my driveway and i heard a squeaking noise when i was letting the clutch out, it was fairly loud, but i thought it was my brakes since i hadn't drove my car for a few days.

well, the noise kept happening almost every time i let my clutch out, it seemed to make the noise more when i made a full stop at a stop sign instead of a rolling stop.

the squeak only happens when letting the clutch out, the longer it takes me to let the clutch out, the longer the squeak is, 80% of the time it makes it while taking off in first but it sometimes does it in other gears or downshifting, but it doesnt make the noise every time. I can also "feel" the noise in the clutch pedal

The best way i can describe it is when someone is writing on a chalkboard and the chalk kinda bounces off of the board really fast, but from what people told me it sounds like im grinding my gears from the outside.

now for the second noise, keep in mind these problems started at the same exact time, but this noise doesnt happen nearly as often.

while im driving, sometimes when coming to a stop, i will press the clutch in, and put a bit of pressure on 1st gear till it pops in, well sometimes after it pops in, i can hear a noise that sounds like someone put rocks in a blender, it makes the noise until i come to a complete stop.

other times i will be slowing down, so i will press the clutch in and shift into 2nd gear, and with the clutch still in and the car in gear i can hear the same noise while slowing down, and it stops after i let the clutch out.

now, i have been told it could be the TO bearing, master/shave cylinder, bad bearings in my transmission, bad syncros, and a bunch of other stuff.

my clutch is not slipping, and my slave is fully releasing the clutch.

i checked the trans fluid and it was a quart low, i filled it up, but it still made the noises.

so does anyone have an idea of what it could be? like i said before it doesnt make the noises every time, which makes me to believe that somethings not majorly damaged, but i would like to find the problem before it gets worse

thanks so much guys!

edit* i forgot some things, i changed the clutch/slave/TO bearing/pilot about 15,000 miles ago, and the transmission doesnt make any odd noises when sitting still with the clutch in or out, only when im moving or the car is under a load, i can let the clutch out 100 times in neutral and wont hear a thing

Last edited by slvr98camaro; 02-21-2010 at 01:08 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:32 PM
Teching In

bump... anybody have any ideas? similar issue here, been told the same things but still dont know what the hell is going on. gonna take her to the corvette shop by the end of the week, let me know if you figure it out
Old 02-24-2010, 11:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SSilver BeaSSt
bump... anybody have any ideas? similar issue here, been told the same things but still dont know what the hell is going on. gonna take her to the corvette shop by the end of the week, let me know if you figure it out
thanks for your reply, let me know what they say, i havent been driving my car that much lately because its been snowing almost every day, and im afraid im gonna bust my transmission
Old 02-24-2010, 11:54 AM
Teching In

Silver,

I had a similar noise as both your scenarios in my 2000 SS.

I took the car into the Chevy dealership and let them drive the car for 100 miles in a week and they found nothing wrong.

I have heard that some aftermarket clutches make those sounds, however mine was stock. I replaced the clutch/flywheel/pressure plate/slave/TO/and master myself. No more squeaking when releasing the clutch.

Upon removal, the clutch disc looked fine. I truely believe the master cylinder (I replaced the stock with a Tick), was the original cause in my case.

The rocks sound almost sounds like the rearend which is fairly normal. It should get louder as you take sweeping turns, and this is a normal sound from what I have been told.

Last edited by jutt26; 02-24-2010 at 12:00 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jutt26
Silver,

I had a similar noise as both your scenarios in my 2000 SS.

I took the car into the Chevy dealership and let them drive the car for 100 miles in a week and they found nothing wrong.

I have heard that some aftermarket clutches make those sounds, however mine was stock. I replaced the clutch/flywheel/pressure plate/slave/TO/and master myself. No more squeaking when releasing the clutch.

Upon removal, the clutch disc looked fine. I truely believe the master cylinder (I replaced the stock with a Tick), was the original cause in my case.

The rocks sound almost sounds like the rearend which is fairly normal. It should get louder as you take sweeping turns, and this is a normal sound from what I have been told.
thanks, i drove a bit today and the squeaking sound is much better after i added ATF, so im almost positive the squeaking sound was coming from the transmission, it did it a few times while driving, but it was so minimal i wouldnt have noticed it if i didnt know i had a problem.

the rock sound isnt the rear end, because it does it while im going straight also, adding the fluid didnt really seem to help that problem. The reason why it does it when i go around bends is because thats usually when i am downshifting, but it makes the same noise when downshifting into 1st while coming to a stop sign.

also sometimes while im coming to a red light i just take it out of gear without using the clutch, and sometimes it also makes the noise while im taking it out of gear
Old 03-11-2010, 01:24 AM
Teching In

got my car back from the corvette shop last week with a whole new clutch assembly. car drives almost perfect now. they showed me the old parts and the bearing was all chewed up
Old 03-16-2010, 12:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SSilver BeaSSt
got my car back from the corvette shop last week with a whole new clutch assembly. car drives almost perfect now. they showed me the old parts and the bearing was all chewed up
thanks, are you talking about the pilot bearing, or the throwout bearing?

i replaced the clutch about a year and a half ago and i would rather not drop the transmission again

im going to try and bleed the system, hopefully that will take care of it, but im guessing it wont, since last time the hydraulics needed bled i didnt have these symptoms
Old 03-23-2010, 12:31 AM
Teching In

the pilot bearing was torn up
Old 03-24-2010, 05:03 PM
Teching In

the samething happen to me.im pulling it out now because it lock up.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks, i replaced the pilot and the TO bearing and everything is working normally now

Quick Reply: really bad noises, sorry its so long