Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Effects of Progressive Controller on solenoids?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 01:09 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Effects of Progressive Controller on solenoids?

I was told that a progressive control can cause solenoids to leak? Is this true? The reason being a progressive pulses the solenoids when your at say 75% and it will beat the seats out in the solenoids causing a leak?
Old 12-19-2008, 01:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its puts ALOT of wear and tear on the solenoid. A while seasons worth of abuse can be done in one pass. If you have never taken one apart search for a few pictures and you will understand. It beats the **** out of the rubber seal in the noid.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:34 AM
10 Second Club

what would the cost be of fixing a set of solenoids?
Old 12-19-2008, 01:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Rebuild kits are next to nothing. Just dont wait til it breaks to fix it or you will be buying a new motor.
Old 12-19-2008, 02:29 AM
10 Second Club

Well I have a chance to get some NX Solenoids for a decent price, but they were ran on a progressive controller. He dont want to much, and says nothing wrong with them, but whats the chance they leak or the seat is messed up from the controller.. Im not sure what to do, I buy them and they need rebuilt, depending on how much to fix them, I may be better off buying new ones..
Old 12-19-2008, 02:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

I thought NX solenoids had a lifetime warranty which includes wear. Might wanna check that out.
Old 12-19-2008, 02:49 AM
10 Second Club

its limited lifetime for the "lightning series solenoids" to the original purchaser. These are the model before that, the big ones. Those only have 90 days to the original purchaser.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

I would replace the coils also. NX solenoids, the biggies are known for big amp pull and this also lessons life. So if they were progressed, I would just pass on them unless it's still a deal to rebuild and replace coils, that's my opinion. Why chance a motor on someone else's used up stuff, though only you can make the ultimate choice.
Robert
Old 12-19-2008, 10:31 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Originally Posted by Meen95z
I was told that a progressive control can cause solenoids to leak? Is this true? The reason being a progressive pulses the solenoids when your at say 75% and it will beat the seats out in the solenoids causing a leak?
You will not beat the seats out of a solenoid. You can damage or dimple the piston material. Leaks are caused by the piston not sealing to the seat. Caused by damage (tearing) or mainly trash. Now trash can scratch a seat causing a leak.
The piston material will differ from one company to the next. NX uses or did use a double spring compensating piston. There is a tiny spring under the sealing material, allowing it to seal at lower pressure. Over time the piston will develop a dimple, and it will get larger (deeped) over time of use. This dimple will allow the piston to set lower and lower on the seat, till finally the piston is no longer in the magnets pulling field area.
If you have to replace coil becuase they failed, you might as well as get a new solenoid and use your old ones parts for back ups.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:55 PM
12 Second Club

I brought this concern up with the NX guys at SEMA. He pretty much told me that their solenoids would hold up just fine with their progresive set up.
Old 12-19-2008, 02:54 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GTABurnout
I brought this concern up with the NX guys at SEMA. He pretty much told me that their solenoids would hold up just fine with their progresive set up.
He is right.

Solenoids arent what they used to be and they are made much stronger then the early years of say the NOS noids that did fail due to progressive systems. People shouldnt worry about solenoids failing anymore becuase its pretty unlikley to happen.
Old 12-20-2008, 12:08 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Speed Density
He is right.

Solenoids arent what they used to be and they are made much stronger then the early years of say the NOS noids that did fail due to progressive systems. People shouldnt worry about solenoids failing anymore becuase its pretty unlikley to happen.
Any sponsors care to comment on this? I was kind of curious about noid life in general, not just ones on progressive setups. ive had mine about 2 years without taking them apart. maybe its time to do so.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:28 AM
Ray@Nitrous Outlet

The current set of solenoids on my car have been on there since 2002...they have been used with a progressive the last 2 seasons. At the last inspection they still looked OK.

The Nitrous Outlet solenoids are built to be used with a progressive. We have yet to see a solenoid fail because of one.

Quick Reply: Effects of Progressive Controller on solenoids?