Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with dry nozzle placement?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 01:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Need help with dry nozzle placement?

Ok, i am getting the car tuned on Saturday and need to get the correct placement done for the dry kit. I have a new HSW big hit dual dry kit w/purge. See below

http://www.harrisspeedworks.com/shop...cat=365&page=1
http://www.harrisspeedworks.com/shop...cat=263&page=1

I need to know were to place the two nozzles so the AFR is not going to be off horribly.The problem is i have the K&n FIPK on my camaro. i looked through Roberts Nitrous website and didnt come up with anything on the tunning/nozzle placement.The kit comes with two straight shotnozzles. Should i get two that are 70 degree or maybe 45 or 90.Someone help me out.

Old 05-11-2008, 02:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

alot of people will put a nozzle on each side of their lid ... I know you don't have a 'lid' but I dont see why you couldnt poke small holes in each side of the filter for the nozzle. I have seen hidden setups where people put the nozzles under the filter, so I dont see why you couldnt put nozzles in that filter
Old 05-11-2008, 03:26 PM
TECH Regular

Yea i don't know were i should put these to get the best AFR. I was thinking of getting the 70 or 90 degree nozzles and putting them in the rubber coming out of the filter.

So here are the options

For 90 degree nozzles.

(Paint FTL)

or

For straight shot fittings

Old 05-11-2008, 03:38 PM
11 Second Club

you got the right idea
Old 05-11-2008, 03:39 PM
TECH Junkie

or you could do under the filter and try and hide it
Old 05-11-2008, 04:04 PM
TECH Regular

I think both will work but this is my first kit so i want some expert advice before i install it.
Old 05-11-2008, 04:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

By far the best option these days is to use the HSW Interface, then you can place the nozzles where you like and adjust a/f with the interface. Actually, if it was my set-up, I would put the nozzles behind the MAF and let the Interface control the a/f ratio from the get go, and really that's what it is designed to do; more so than fine tuning the a/f with less than optimum nozzle placement before the MAF. The nozzle tuning really has been out dated, and now is considered dated technology. Anyway, some will still want to use the nozzle tuning, the basics are, about 4 inches from the MAF wires and aimed directly at MAF. This will give you your highest a/f ratio, then you can simply change one nozzle to a straight shooter to aim back into the box to lean it out, and/or turn a nozzle so some of the spray goes right past the wires. You can see the combinations are endless, but the main point is start with the richest location, because if you start with it running lean, the only recourse is to go into the PCM. This is the reason spray bars are not the best IMO, your stuck with a certain location and no way to tune a/f with out going into the PCM, which is another game all together.

This is not an FIPK but you can see it's really the same, and off of my site. the starting a/f was 11.7/12 area, but it does have some airflow blockage problems (n2o flow is disrupted and air dynamics get thrown off) which you won't have. basic same principle on all placements though.

Both of your locations shown could work. the bottom entrance with straight shooters is nice, but like the spray bars, if the begining a/f is to lean, you'll have to go into the PCM for adjustments. The better way to do it would be to use the Interface for fine tuning of the a/f and this will not effect your optimum N/A a/f settings, and another benifit is you can pull the timing you like with the same controller. Good luck and keep us updated on what you do and end up with.

Robert

Last edited by Robert56; 05-11-2008 at 04:24 PM.
Old 05-11-2008, 05:12 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the help. I will probably go with the two side nozzles then. What angle nozzle would you recommend 90 or 70.
Old 05-11-2008, 05:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by caMnaro
Thanks for the help. I will probably go with the two side nozzles then. What angle nozzle would you recommend 90 or 70.
I have had good luck with the 90°. On mine what worked for a 11.5:1 ratio was one 90° and the other 90° was cut off and became a straight shooter back into the air box to be diluted with incoming air for a less cold reading.
Robert
Old 05-11-2008, 05:58 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Robert56
I have had good luck with the 90°. On mine what worked for a 11.5:1 ratio was one 90° and the other 90° was cut off and became a straight shooter back into the air box to be diluted with incoming air for a less cold reading.
Robert
Thanks for the help. I will post back up the results on Saturday since it is getting tuned. Hopefully it wont be to far off were the N/A tune will be affected dramatically.

How much timing should i pull for 150 shot.

Car has Heads/Cam/ls6 intake, fast 36#(really 42# at 58 # fuel pressure), racetronix P&P intank fuel pump.?

Last edited by caMnaro; 05-11-2008 at 06:14 PM.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i used to stress over nozzle placement. hopefully you can get it dialed in pretty good with few adjustments, but if it starts reading inconsistently, just get The Interface from HSW and you'll shed tears of joy.