Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Door skin coming undone.

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 02:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Door skin coming undone.

The outer door skin on my '00 TA seems to have come loose at the top on front and rear. It's causing the top of the door skin is sit out a little, causing ridiculous wind noise.

Name:  2010-12-31143630.jpg
Views: 1725
Size:  66.3 KB

Name:  2010-12-31143708.jpg
Views: 1784
Size:  42.7 KB

Name:  2010-12-31143653.jpg
Views: 1642
Size:  49.5 KB

I believe it's also preventing the window from following the track as I have to pull the window up or it seems misaligned as it goes up and won't go all the way.

Name:  2010-12-31143804.jpg
Views: 1604
Size:  78.4 KB

What I'm wondering is if it would be worth it to try and have it fixed, or if I should just get a whole new door. Also, what would my options be as far as repair?

Thanks in advance
Old 12-31-2010, 03:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Bring it to a body shop, they can re glue back on.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you take the door off so you can get some clamps on it, you can use the super glue gel. load up area that is coming apart. i put towels where the clamps go to prevent damage to the paint. when you apply the clamps wipe down the areas where the glue seeps out and let it sit for about an hour. done this to both of my doors and never had a problem since.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by slow93z
if you take the door off so you can get some clamps on it, you can use the super glue gel. load up area that is coming apart. i put towels where the clamps go to prevent damage to the paint. when you apply the clamps wipe down the areas where the glue seeps out and let it sit for about an hour. done this to both of my doors and never had a problem since.
What adhesive did you use exactly? If you did well with it I wanna be sure to get as close to what you did as possible.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:03 AM
TECH Junkie

And thats what GM gets for using Fiberglass for freakin doors. Hope that's an easy fix for ya OP.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks. I'll probably get around to it this weekend and let you guys know how it goes.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:40 PM
11 Second Club

funny... i got this same problem. I've been holding out because the previous owner tried to reglue it, unsuccessfully. So i've been waiting to find a good adhesive.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:39 AM
On The Tree

i used the brand "Super Glue" but you can get it in the gel form instead of the thin watery stuff. il see what we use at the body shop if you would feel more comfortable doing that.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:42 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BirdsSince16
The outer door skin on my '00 TA seems to have come loose at the top on front and rear. It's causing the top of the door skin is sit out a little, causing ridiculous wind noise.

I believe it's also preventing the window from following the track as I have to pull the window up or it seems misaligned as it goes up and won't go all the way.

What I'm wondering is if it would be worth it to try and have it fixed, or if I should just get a whole new door. Also, what would my options be as far as repair?

Thanks in advance
what im seeing in the pictures my door use to do. there is a pivoting roller at the bottom of the glass that breaks off sometimes. i just went through this with my window. can you slide the window back and forth?
Old 01-05-2011, 03:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by slow93z
what im seeing in the pictures my door use to do. there is a pivoting roller at the bottom of the glass that breaks off sometimes. i just went through this with my window. can you slide the window back and forth?
Do you mean like from the front of the door to the rear of the door?
Old 01-05-2011, 01:28 PM
On The Tree

yes from the front to the rear
Old 01-07-2011, 08:00 PM
Launching!

In the 2nd picture, you have the SAME exact rubbing/missing paint that I do on mine in the upper left of the edge of the door. It could be a clone of my rubbing spot. Can't figure it out either as opening and closing it, it isn't anywhere near to hitting the edge of the fender. So, just weird.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:54 PM
TECH Resident

I had this exact issue with my previous camaro, however it was only at the rear of the door, not by the mirror. My window was slightly loose and was a noisey mess over 60mph. The proper adhesive to use is by 3M for gluing SMG panels, HOWEVER I cheaped out and got a tube of PL Premium(4 bucks from Home Depot) and it worked like magic.

In my case however there was no issue with the window getting caught on the track(just loose when full up on the hwy), so in your case I would try the following: Have someone put pressure on both the front and rear of the door where it is seperating, then try putting the window up/down. Do this BEFORE applying glue! If it doesn't bind, i would try gluing it with the PL. Your most difficult part will be getting clamps into the front part of the door. I would just grab a beer and a buddy and put pressure on both ends for 20 mins while the door is closed

HTH
Old 01-08-2011, 04:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NDFORSPD
I had this exact issue with my previous camaro, however it was only at the rear of the door, not by the mirror. My window was slightly loose and was a noisey mess over 60mph. The proper adhesive to use is by 3M for gluing SMG panels, HOWEVER I cheaped out and got a tube of PL Premium(4 bucks from Home Depot) and it worked like magic.

In my case however there was no issue with the window getting caught on the track(just loose when full up on the hwy), so in your case I would try the following: Have someone put pressure on both the front and rear of the door where it is seperating, then try putting the window up/down. Do this BEFORE applying glue! If it doesn't bind, i would try gluing it with the PL. Your most difficult part will be getting clamps into the front part of the door. I would just grab a beer and a buddy and put pressure on both ends for 20 mins while the door is closed

HTH

I wasn't able to get around to it this weekend to really do anything, but I grabbed the towels and a clamp and just clamped the back and it seemed to help, but it was a small clamp.
Recently found the fix for interior door panel cracks, so I'll probably get on that first, as I have it on both sides.

As for the rubbed paint on the front of the door, I had the same problem with my 98 Firebird. Couldn't figure that one out either.

Thanks again for the help, guys.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:03 PM
Launching!

go to a body shop supply store there is a SMC adhesive you can buy its around $25.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

incorrect, gm and every other company uses panle bond, that skin is panle bonded to that frame

it does look like the door should come off to correctly fix the skin and re adjust the window, any body shop can fix this for you if you buy panle bond i recomend fusor but then your buying the product and the gun which is expensive
Old 02-07-2011, 04:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bdyman
incorrect, gm and every other company uses panle bond, that skin is panle bonded to that frame

it does look like the door should come off to correctly fix the skin and re adjust the window, any body shop can fix this for you if you buy panle bond i recomend fusor but then your buying the product and the gun which is expensive
I've talked to a couple of shops and both have told me it would probably be safer to just get a new door. The bond "might not hold" which I thought was BS since that's how it was on there to begin with. I've got one more guy I wanna talk to about it. He's my gf's friend's dad so I figure he won't try to rip me. Hopefully he can fix it and save me from a new door.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:25 AM
Staging Lane

Hahaha Ive got the same damn problem on my convertible. Stops early and ****. Sides i think my track is bad cause during the summer when i roll it down it makes a horrid *** noise. but i thought i was the only one that has these problems.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Get a tube of PL Premium Advance from Home depot/Lowes.

Cake that ****** in and use clamps to hold it there, gotta leave it overnight to cure but it hardens like a rock. Half my passenger side door skin is glued with this stuff.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:32 AM
Teching In

If your willing to take the door off. kent brand sealer( glob it on ) heavy clamps on the doors ends so it gets a good hold also lay the door on the shell so the weights on the shell, after a day or good dry, fiberglass over it body filler over the fiberglass. it worked for my door and hatch... don't have pics of the door also make sure your door or fender doesn't need to be adjusted mine was hitting the fender cause the skin was separating after putting the door back on the fenders were still tapping and had to be adjusted ( sagging door )
Attached Thumbnails Door skin coming undone.-green-lantern-0131.jpg   Door skin coming undone.-green-lantern-0161.jpg   Door skin coming undone.-green-lantern-0165.jpg  

Quick Reply: Door skin coming undone.