Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Holley Dominator EFI on LSX Platform

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 01:20 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Holley Dominator EFI on LSX Platform

As I mentioned in the other thread, we have decided to ****-can the BS3 and all their modular nickel and dimming to try out this new Holley Dominator EFI engine management system. Having mentioned this in a few different threads that I have going regarding the car, I have received many PM's expressing interest in a write up as apparently there aren't too many out there in circulation yet for this LSX platform.

My goal is to do an accurate and thorough write up on this product from a completely unbiased perspective. Be assured that I am not afraid to call a spade a spade and will call them like I see them. Some issues that come up may be our fault and as soon as that is determined, I will retract or accept blame as I have done many times in the past. Customers make mistakes, just like vendors and manufacturers. **** happens. The difference is in how you resolve the issue.

The platform:

422 LSX (3.9 X 4.155 ) 9.5:1 Static Comp
TFS 245cc Cathedral Port 6 bolt heads
Wilson Billet LSX Intake
90mm TB
Stock Coils
Twin TC78's
Chiseled A2W
Rossler Glide
FTI converter
9" rear
Radial tire
3500# race weight (full interior street car)
99' Formula Firebird

The car has been 7.9 @ 180 MPH with the BS3. It's a relatively new build and we have been working the bugs out of it for the last few months. Most of the issues so far have been transmission related. The issues have mostly been due to the transmission being older and was originally built for about 700 less rwhp. The other issues have been ignition related to figuring out the best routing for the plug wires.

About 2 months ago we started having issues with WBO2 sensor in the Big Stuff 3. It would read fine at part throttle but would hang at like 15.3:1 flat line at WOT.
We were using a Bosch sensor which was working fine up until that point. We contacted Big Stuff and they said that their sensor was different so Steve ordered one from them. Put it in and same ****. That car has an Innovate LM1 in it as well so we turned off the correction and used the LM1 to make sure all was well.

Fast forward a month or so and we started having some backfiring issues out of the blue. Turns out that the cam sprocket broke the dowel in the cam and the cam started moving walking up and down on us until it eventually sheared off the cam bolts. We suspect that the harmonics backed them out. Ended up dinging up a couple of pistons and hurting about 1/2 the valves and one of the seats.

At this point we knew that the car would be down for a little bit so Steve started shipping stuff off to get squared away. The trans went back to Rossler. The BS3 went back to Big Stuff. The transmission is back and modified to take the abuse.

While the BS3 was over there, he figured he'd have it upgraded with the additional inputs, 3 step and individual EGT. The quote added up to $5K+. We started looking around for other options and were told that the Racepak is a better way to go about it so we priced that out and it was about the same. This is not an all out race car that will be competing in some circuit or another. We are just a few locals guys slapping **** together in a garage and racing the clock on test and tune nights for fun. Having $7K-8K tied up in engine management is RETARDED. At this point we started discussing a complete change of direction.

Enter Holley Dominator EFI. I had been doing some research for another friend's car when I stumbled across it initially a few months back. I mentioned the system in the thread I started with regards to finding other options and Dennis Moore (64duece) of Moore's Racecraft Fabrications, chimed in with some details and promising information. He followed up with a quote and it came out to right around $4K with EVERYTHING. Please note that my understanding is that the basic system with all the harnesses required to run an LSx platform is closer $2K. The additional $2K was for the extras which I will list later on as I don't have the details right in front of me at this time or Dennis can clarify if he wants to chime in. I downloaded the software to play with it and it has a very modern feel to it. If it works as good as it looks, it should be a winner. We spoke about it and decided this was the way to go. He can likely get $1500 out of the BS3 setup and be into this thing for just another $2500.

So far, Steve paid Dennis in full and told him to ship what he has. He was told from the beginning that the box was about 2 weeks out (about 2 weeks ago). So far we have received the harnesses, power module and the WBO2's. We are hoping that the box will ship out this week or to be notified of any additional delays.

Once the computer arrives, it shouldn't be more than a couple of weeks until we have her up and running. We don't drag out builds so it should go quickly sans any unforeseen delays.

Here's a link to the original build thread for anyone wanting to learn more about the setup. Mucho details in there.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...c78s-kytp.html
Old 10-05-2010, 07:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So basically the only gripe you have with the BS3 is the O2 went bad twice
and the price of the upgrades where to expensive?

Did BS3 have and answer for the O2 failure?
Old 10-06-2010, 06:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Define everything...

8 EGTs?
traction control?
3 step limiters?
etc
Old 10-06-2010, 10:45 AM
Launching!

I can't wait for this to pick up. I've been dead set on the HP EFI for months now just waiting for my build to get further along.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:28 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by TT350
So basically the only gripe you have with the BS3 is the O2 went bad twice
and the price of the upgrades where to expensive?

Did BS3 have and answer for the O2 failure?
Gripes with BS3
1) No extended logging
2) You have to pay for each and every extra
3) It isn't cheap to begin with and extras are even more
4) The interface looks and feels ancient
5) They are absolutely sure that their product is awesome and can't be the cause of any problems

Regarding the WBO2, they said there is nothing wrong with it and charged him $127 to tell him that.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:29 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Fireball
Define everything...

8 EGTs?
traction control?
3 step limiters?
etc
I might see Steve tomorrow and I'll get the list of bells and whistles.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:30 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Forcfed93
I can't wait for this to pick up. I've been dead set on the HP EFI for months now just waiting for my build to get further along.
Apparently the hold up on the box is that they are releasing some new drivers for the stock coils so he is holding out to ship us one of the new boxes.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Not defending BS3...but...

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
Gripes with BS3
1) No extended logging
define extended...mine has it...logs for several minutes

2) You have to pay for each and every extra
apparently you are doing the same with the holley...hence the 4K price.

3) It isn't cheap to begin with and extras are even more
not really...the can interface is reasonable, the EGT upgrade (assuming you have DAE and CAN) is only $150. The racepak EGTs are the costly part

4) The interface looks and feels ancient
no doubt.

5) They are absolutely sure that their product is awesome and can't be the cause of any problems
they do win alot of races with that ECU...

Regarding the WBO2, they said there is nothing wrong with it and charged him $127 to tell him that.
diagnostic fees are normal in many different sectors.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:15 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Fireball
Not defending BS3...but...

define extended...mine has it...logs for several minutes
20 sec is the default log. If you can log longer than that, then you either have an older box or you paid extra.

apparently you are doing the same with the holley...hence the 4K price.
EGT's amd the second wideband are extra. The rest of the extras are the actual sensors. This $4K price includes EVERYTHING not just the capability to run the additional sensors that BS3 gets $250 a pop for.

not really...the can interface is reasonable, the EGT upgrade (assuming you have DAE and CAN) is only $150. The racepak EGTs are the costly part
You have to pay for the DAE and CAN. The $150 for the EGT upgrage is just for the capability.

they do win alot of races with that ECU...
There is no question about that. When it works, it works well. The problem comes in when it doesn't because according to them, it does. LOL

diagnostic fees are normal in many different sectors.
That's the great thing about the free market.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:25 AM
Banned

Subscribing.

I have a Holley Dominator on the way for a customers car.

I have no gripes with the BS3 setups. They really need to get on the ball with thier software. It looks like a ****. **** that works, but **** none the less.
Old 10-08-2010, 02:28 PM
Restricted User

Just got some details.

Required to run: $2250 ish
Dominator ECU
Main Power Harness
LS1 Main Harness
LS1 Injector Harness
Bosch WBO2

Options:
2nd WBO2 Sensor Harness $120 (includes wiring for additional inputs/outputs)
2nd Bosch Sensor $85
Pressure Sensor Senders $130ea
5 Bar MAP Sensor $130
8 Channel EGT Module $600
8 EGT Probes $600 (Type K)
Old 10-20-2010, 09:52 PM
Staging Lane

Default cool

let us know how this turns out pretty cool!
Old 10-24-2010, 02:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might want to send red91z a PM. He already has this setup on his car.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:03 PM
Teching In

I am a dealer for the new Holley FI. Im currently working on the Buick turbo V6 with Holley. Im am setting up to vend on the board. I can't and won't take orders until then. I can try to answer any questions you may have. If i cant Doug or Tom at Holley will be more than willing to help me. Having worked with both FAST, and BS3 i can say it blows them away. Not that they are not good systems, But the HP, and Dominator offer so much more in a small package. I cant even start to list the things it can do. This on top of a price that retails much,much lower.

Last edited by ForcfedGN; 10-26-2010 at 04:29 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:08 PM
Teching In

I was in Bowling Green on Tues. to meet with holley. The boxes are ready now. I sent Bryan at LME a Holley set up for their new dyno. LME will be dealing them as well. Hope this helps.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:46 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by ForcfedGN
I was in Bowling Green on Tues. to meet with holley. The boxes are ready now. I sent Bryan at LME a Holley set up for their new dyno. LME will be dealing them as well. Hope this helps.
Wierd. I was told 2 more weeks.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:31 PM
Teching In

I know the coil near plug GM is what I sent Bryan at LME.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:59 PM
Teching In

PM sent. If I can help you get what you need,just let me know.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:58 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,103 Likes on 723 Posts

Forcefedgn = Cal H?

I am helping Holley out on the boards, so if anyone has any tech questions, I can be helpful too. john@motorsports-media.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:37 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Forcefedgn = Cal H?

I am helping Holley out on the boards, so if anyone has any tech questions, I can be helpful too. john@motorsports-media.
We are discussing via PM's due to ForcedGN's pending vendor status. He is going to verify availability for us tomorrow. If you have any additional info John, please chime in.

Quick Reply: Holley Dominator EFI on LSX Platform