Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

Everyone relax, the G8 is not being canceled.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 09:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Everyone relax, the G8 is not being canceled.

This is getting to be too funny:-))) Geez and I thought the market Gurus on CNBC were entertaining;-) From the source: http://pontiacunderground.typepad.com/

“Every few months, it seems that another rumor hits the Internet that Pontiac is throwing in the towel. Given the craziness that is the automotive industry right now, we guess it’s not surprising that some folks want to write us off, but that doesn’t make it true.

The latest is that we’re cancelling the G8. Interesting idea…just launch what most people think is one of the best cars we’ve ever built, bring two more models (G8 GXP and G8 ST) to the market over the next year…then cancel it.

Can you say, “Not gonna happen?”

Here’s the straight scoop. The G8 is a solid part of the Pontiac portfolio…period. We’ve just started building the G8 GXP in Australia and the first cars should be here right around the end of the year. The G8 ST is still on target to start production about mid-summer 2009 and arrive in North America in the fall. And, even in this dismal automotive market, the G8 sedan and G8 GT keeps right on selling

Interestingly, the Solstice was the target of the “cancellation” rumor here a couple of months ago, yet the Solstice Coupe starts production in January. Sense a pattern here?

Look, we all know that the auto industry is under a lot of pressure right now and we’ll admit to a certain degree of nervousness about the future ourselves. But, we are a car company, pure and simple, so our plan is to keep building great cars, like the G8 and Solstice, today, tomorrow, and the next day.

We’ll leave the predictions for the future to the folks at the Psychic Friends Network.”
Old 10-27-2008, 02:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I read that Wall Street Journal article too. I'm tired of all this dooms day ****. Its not just the WSJ, ,any newspapers are doing this doomsdays crap about the auto industry. Some of the stuff is easily recognized as BS by the enthusiasts, but people who don't care about cars believe it. Its all a big game to get readers enticed.

Frankly, if you can't write an article for the sake of writing an article, and just throw in an article about any bs to get readers interested, get a new job.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:03 AM
12 Second Club

That's just a way to skate around the fact that the next gen G8 was to be based on the same platform as the RWD Impala. The Impala has been canned. Unless they keep bringing the Holden over, there is no North American platform for the G8 to be built on. Not to mention the new EPA regulations that will really kill it.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Eh, do you really expect them to come right out and say it's being cancelled? Yes, they're right in saying it's not being cancelled.....right now. No one said it was being immediately cancelled. 5 years is a long way off. As far as them continuing to sell...I guess that depends on where you're at. Most places here in the NE they seem to not be selling at all. I've seen a total of 3 G8's on the road since they have come out. I hear alot of people saying dealers refuse to come down from MSRP at all because "the car is too in demand" which is kind of a joke if lots are full of them that aren't moving.

The same way you think no one should believe anything in any of those other articles, this one doesn't really change much either. It's what you would expect them to say in response.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:10 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah i live in phx and i have seen maybe 10 and thats a strech in a city with a few million.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

The G8 ST did get canned. It's in an article, I can't remember which one. Someone will chime in if I'm wrong.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:15 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It Done, pick your poison.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/9090106....ruck-cancelled

http://blogs.highperformancepontiac....led/index.html

http://globalmotors.net/pontiac-g8-s...uck-cancelled/

Quick Reply: Everyone relax, the G8 is not being canceled.