Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Lost his gto to the cops!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 08:58 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost his gto to the cops!!!!

Driver charged with racing adjusts to life without a GTO

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Driver charged with racing adjusts to life without a GTO
November 25, By By Sonja Elmquist, Staff Writer

Jarrod Bivins was charged with prearranged speed competition and two counts of reckless driving.

GREENSBORO - In a very real sense, Jarrod Bivins is grounded.

His Pontiac GTO is sitting in a Forsyth County Sheriff's Office impound lot with other cars seized in a street racing investigation that led to arrests Saturday night.

Highway Patrol officials continued to work Monday to arrest the remainder of the 32 people charged with racing-related crimes that troopers couldn't get Saturday.

Bivins, 19, who was arrested Saturday, was charged with prearranged speed competition and two counts of reckless driving. He said a few of his friends - other "car guys" - had also been charged with racing-related crimes.

"Mainly, we're just trying to figure out how we're going to get through this without losing our cars and drivers' licenses and going to jail and stuff," Bivins said.

Bivins declined to discuss the charges against him. But he said he had always been interested in cars and had a group of friends who participate in autocross events. He'd taken the occasional trip to a drag strip to race legally and had made cosmetic modifications to his car's exhaust and suspension, but nothing that made it faster, he said.

Troopers arrested Bivins in the parking lot of the Cook Out on North Main Street in High Point, a regular hangout for "car guys," Bivins said.

Bivins thought the car crowd might stay away from Cook Out for a few weeks, but they'll be back.

"A good percentage of people don't do stupid things," Bivins said. "They don't have anything to worry about."

Assisted by state Alcohol Law Enforcement agents and the Guilford County Sheriff's Office, troopers began serving warrants and seizing vehicles late Saturday after a 3-week undercover operation targeting illegal racing.

By Sunday, troopers had arrested 13 people and seized 12 vehicles. Seized vehicles are turned over to the sheriff of the county in which law enforcement officers say the offenses occurred.

Highway Patrol officials were unable Monday to provide an updated count of the number of people arrested and vehicles seized.

After Bivins was back home from the operation's command center at A.J. Simeon Stadium - his car traded for a court date - his mother went back and thanked the troopers for running the operation.

Julie Rouse picked up cheeseburgers and coffee for the troopers.

The way she looked at it, they might have saved her son's life.

"I back you guys 100 percent in what you've done," she told them. "If this is what it takes to stop it, it's a lesson learned the hard way."
Old 12-06-2008, 09:39 AM
TECH Resident

I've street raced and alot of other people do too, but it's really stupid. If these people are lucky they might get their cars back, but I kinda doubt that.
Old 12-06-2008, 01:25 PM
Teching In

Old 12-06-2008, 01:34 PM
Teching In

I don't understand why they street race when you can do it at a track and be perfectly legal. Dumb..
Old 12-06-2008, 01:59 PM
12 Second Club

That's crazy.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:09 PM
TECH Resident

Cheaper, Easier, and Dumber!
Old 12-07-2008, 10:25 PM
Teching In

May be the next time he will invite the challenger to the drag strip and not on the street...

oh well.....
Old 12-08-2008, 02:22 AM
Launching!

wth thats crazy
Old 12-08-2008, 02:55 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Must be that they have vids of them racing.. I guess if you are just hanging out you might get away with a loitering Citation..
Old 12-08-2008, 05:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Since when is hanging out and doing car meets illegal?
Old 12-08-2008, 07:21 PM
Teching In

Weak. His 4th amendment rights were violated, people need to learn the laws and start looking out for themselves.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SqueezeBag
Weak. His 4th amendment rights were violated, people need to learn the laws and start looking out for themselves.
FOURTH AMENDMENT [U.S. Constitution] - 'The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.'

Please show me which part of his rights were violated. He was arrested after a three week investigation and from the rest of the article, it sounds like many warrants were issued for others not at the scene that night. Warrants that, I am quite sure are based on probable cause resulting from that investigation. You can bet your last dollar that those warrants list the people and the cars they are driving to be arrested/seized. If the law says they are forfeited on a conviction, then due process has occured. It hardly seems unreasonable to seize and search a motor vehicle that is been used while commiting a felony directly involving the vehicle.

But perhaps I am missing something, so please, educate me on the 4th Amendment so I can be sure to protect myself.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Oh4GTO
Since when is hanging out and doing car meets illegal?
Depends on how they write it, here it's a $25 Loitering Citation.. I've never gotten one, we always left before the Cops could box everyone in.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:40 PM
Teching In

Wow that just sucks... You figure if they have been running a sting for 3 weeks.. they have video, plates and pictures of the cars involved and probably someone who was caught previously helping them out.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:46 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by EnfuegoZ28
Cheaper, Easier, and Dumber!
I dated her once
Old 12-09-2008, 01:09 PM
On The Tree

the cops run us off at the meets about 50% of the time. the problem is people talk on the forums line up races and say where to meet. the cops read these forums. you hang yourself. it is easy for them.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by brian.moritz
I don't understand why they street race when you can do it at a track and be perfectly legal. Dumb..
when some one talks smach. and a track is 1.5hr away. you do it on the street. i do all the time
Old 12-09-2008, 02:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The streets are always more exciting although it can be dangerous and you can get in alot of trouble in which this is one example...
Old 12-10-2008, 02:25 PM
12 Second Club

Id hate to say it but if a pig showed up at my house to seize my car id make him think twice about what life is all about and the loved ones he is about to leave behind, take my car because i street raced, seriously get a life. I can understand if there were innocent bistandards involved that were harmed but really, big government anyone? Is big brother watching a little too much these days. How about setting stings up to get the drugs off the streets. The rapists, big time crime orginizations. Its so easy for them to put such stringent rules on citisens that do really nothing. But when it comes to cracking down on serious problems they seem not to have the time or resources.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This is true...I see plenty of officers writing tickets on the highway, but when people go missing, get shot, or stolen from - the cops never seem to care. People are too damn dependent on what the government says is "right", when cities start making huge revenue from tickets and redlight cameras scamming the people out of their money..well the tax collector just found a new form.

I disagree with street racing, but the majority of the time it IS easier to street race than cruise down to the track. I know there isn't one near Austin here...The government has always chosen to ignore the basic issues though. Make it easier for tracks to draw in crowds or build out in new areas, and you solve the problem.

Why doesn't the gov sponsor an effort to get people off the street and onto the tracks? I guess seizing property for free, and auctioning it off is more profitable though.

/rant off

Originally Posted by 06black6spd
Id hate to say it but if a pig showed up at my house to seize my car id make him think twice about what life is all about and the loved ones he is about to leave behind, take my car because i street raced, seriously get a life. I can understand if there were innocent bistandards involved that were harmed but really, big government anyone? Is big brother watching a little too much these days. How about setting stings up to get the drugs off the streets. The rapists, big time crime orginizations. Its so easy for them to put such stringent rules on citisens that do really nothing. But when it comes to cracking down on serious problems they seem not to have the time or resources.

Quick Reply: Lost his gto to the cops!!!!