Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TSP/PRC Stage II Darts. Smoking issue.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 11:32 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default TSP/PRC Stage II Darts. Smoking issue.

How many of you guys have the heads and work fine?

How many of you guys have them and have "smoking" issues?

Is there a way to check before I put mine on? Thanks
Old 05-04-2006, 11:36 PM
TECH Addict

I've heard of only ONE set smoking. I'm not positive but I think it might've been a freak set because I have heard of no one else with problems-only great results. However, TSP did stop making the CNC Darts I believe but I'm not sure why. Sorry if this doesn't help, but I don't think you have anything to worry about.

If you don't want them anymore, PM me
Old 05-04-2006, 11:38 PM
10 Second Club

I have heard of 3 people. Knowing my luck, Ill be the 4th.

Just curious if there is a way to check.

But you know, all the resluts I have found, have been the "out of the box" heads and not the Stage II ones.
Old 05-04-2006, 11:41 PM
TECH Addict

Yea I just saw that other post where the guy said he's the third.
If I were you I would call the guys at TSP and see if you can send the heads back to them to have them check it out. They seem to be pretty upstanding guys and if they sold you a bad product I'm sure they will set it right for you.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had mine installed along with my MS3, but had to sell them unfortunately. I wish I would have gotten it tuned. It ran like a beast without a tune and didn't have any smoking problems. I had to sell due to some changes in my wife's and I lifestyle, but will hopefully get them back one day
Old 05-05-2006, 06:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine were "sort of" out of the box. I completely disassembled them and very carefully removed the original valve seals that came with the heads. I used sanding rollers and hand sanding smoothed them up a bit and then ultrasonically cleaned and re-used the seals. I haven't had a single problem with smoking. If they are not installed, what kind of seals are on the heads? Are they the original seals installed by Dart?
Old 05-05-2006, 08:45 AM
Banned

Something to be aware of, the intake rocker bolt hole is exposed in the roof of the intake port. That means you have to put some kind of thread sealer on the intake rocker arm bolts or it will draw oil past the threads and "smoke".
Old 05-05-2006, 04:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Just posted this in the other thread, but here is the Dart setup. The seals can be seen on the right valves.

Last edited by vettenuts; 06-14-2006 at 07:03 PM.
Old 05-05-2006, 06:08 PM

I see the seals, but what am I supose to be seeing? Did they leak or not?
Old 05-05-2006, 06:11 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by davered00ss
Old 05-05-2006, 06:13 PM

It also looks like they have single springs, not dual?
Old 05-05-2006, 06:38 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We've had several sets of Darts smoking on us & honestly I don't know why they're doing it. We've talked with several guys from Dart, & some of the best engine builders in the country on this. The guide clearances appear to be fine, but some of the heads just flat smoke like crazy. We've stopped all sales of the Dart castings & are one by one replacing each smoking set with LS6 heads. We've researched the way the heads drain oil, checked guide clearances, & checked each runner for leaks. Currently we still don't know for sure what's causing these issues.

We work very hard to make cylinder heads that don't have issues. Our complete cnc porting process & cnc valve job system helps to insure that each set of our LS6 heads flow & perform exactly to specs. We had planned on finishing up a new cnc valve job configuration so we could cut valve jobs & cnc port the Dart heads, but honestly at this point I guess we're done with them.

The most frustrating part of this situation is some guys have no problems what so ever & some guys have crazy amounts of smoking. CNC porting can't really cause a cylinder head to consume oil, but somethings doing it so we're going to make sure & swap out the sets that have issues with our LS6 heads.

We're currently working on swapping over to the Edelbrock casting & have over 20 sets of them going together with both our current port & our new 200ish cc kick butt small runner head. This new small runner head should perform better than the competitions small runner head & offer features and options that you guys will love!

One thing I can promise you guys is we work very hard to make sure everything we produce is second to none! From the big flowing stock valve Street LS6 heads that sell for under 1k, to the new small runner 200ish cc heads, we'll continue to push to produce the best cylinder heads on the market!
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com
Old 05-05-2006, 06:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by davered00ss
These do not leak, I posted the photo so they could see the seals since they are very hard to see with the springs in place.
Old 05-05-2006, 06:54 PM
TECH Resident

Wheres AFR in this mix? Or are they scratching there heads as to whats goin on too?
Old 05-05-2006, 07:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Jason,

Curious, when you replaced the Darts with the LS6 heads did the customers problems go away? A couple of people had reported that valve cover gaskets were blowing out if I remember correctly, and that seems to point to other issues with the motor. Some are also not running any positive crankcase ventilation.

Last edited by vettenuts; 06-14-2006 at 07:04 PM.
Old 05-05-2006, 09:39 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The LS6 heads aren't having any issues at all. In fact I think the only set of LS6's that have come back were because UPS beat them up real bad! I only heard one customer talking about valve cover gaskets blowing out, that honestly sounds more like a motor issue. Either way there's definately a issue with the cylinder head so we've decided to go a different route and replace any cylinder heads that are having issues.

Does anyone with as cast darts have oil problems? My vette has unported Darts, it definately smokes more than the 5.3l heads that was on it, but they don't smoke so much that I removed them. !!?!!?!?

One thing I want to make sure of is that we take care of the customer even if I have to turn these castings into coke cans!
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com
Old 05-06-2006, 02:53 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Jason,

Curious, when you replaced the Darts with the LS6 heads did the customers problems go away? A couple of people had reported that vavle cover gaskets were blowing out if I remember correctly, and that seems to point to other issues with the motor. Some are also not running any positive crankcase ventilation.
I removed my PCV system after pulling my intake the first time and seeing oil all over the place, including inside the intake. The reason I removed the PCV was to remove any possibility that the oil was coming from inside the motor. With it removed, all oil inside the ports has to come from the heads themselves...unless I severely over-oiled my K&N filter! The PCV system will be used once my LS6 heads arrive early (I hope!) next week.

Galen
Old 05-06-2006, 04:33 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jason 98 TA
We've had several sets of Darts smoking on us & honestly I don't know why they're doing it. We've talked with several guys from Dart, & some of the best engine builders in the country on this. The guide clearances appear to be fine, but some of the heads just flat smoke like crazy. We've stopped all sales of the Dart castings & are one by one replacing each smoking set with LS6 heads. We've researched the way the heads drain oil, checked guide clearances, & checked each runner for leaks. Currently we still don't know for sure what's causing these issues.

We work very hard to make cylinder heads that don't have issues. Our complete cnc porting process & cnc valve job system helps to insure that each set of our LS6 heads flow & perform exactly to specs. We had planned on finishing up a new cnc valve job configuration so we could cut valve jobs & cnc port the Dart heads, but honestly at this point I guess we're done with them.

The most frustrating part of this situation is some guys have no problems what so ever & some guys have crazy amounts of smoking. CNC porting can't really cause a cylinder head to consume oil, but somethings doing it so we're going to make sure & swap out the sets that have issues with our LS6 heads.

We're currently working on swapping over to the Edelbrock casting & have over 20 sets of them going together with both our current port & our new 200ish cc kick butt small runner head. This new small runner head should perform better than the competitions small runner head & offer features and options that you guys will love!

One thing I can promise you guys is we work very hard to make sure everything we produce is second to none! From the big flowing stock valve Street LS6 heads that sell for under 1k, to the new small runner 200ish cc heads, we'll continue to push to produce the best cylinder heads on the market!
When will these heads be available
Old 05-06-2006, 06:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

New out of the box dart 205's going on next week.
Ill let you know how they go. No porting being done.
Im hoping she isnt an oil burger.
Old 05-06-2006, 07:29 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Jason 98 TA
The LS6 heads aren't having any issues at all. In fact I think the only set of LS6's that have come back were because UPS beat them up real bad! I only heard one customer talking about valve cover gaskets blowing out, that honestly sounds more like a motor issue. Either way there's definately a issue with the cylinder head so we've decided to go a different route and replace any cylinder heads that are having issues.

Does anyone with as cast darts have oil problems? My vette has unported Darts, it definately smokes more than the 5.3l heads that was on it, but they don't smoke so much that I removed them. !!?!!?!?

One thing I want to make sure of is that we take care of the customer even if I have to turn these castings into coke cans!
I have out of the box Dart 205's with no smoking or oil use issues. So is it the CNC porting and the work you did on the heads or something wrong with the basic Dart heads themselves? You seem to be saying it's the heads themselves? Or you don't know?

Last edited by 1bdindn; 05-06-2006 at 07:35 AM.

Quick Reply: TSP/PRC Stage II Darts. Smoking issue.