Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

06 z06 vs fords gt-40

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 10:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LSONE
I agree, i think it has alot to do with the fact that GM was improving upon a vehicle whereas ford built the GT from the ground up.
Well, on the actual body of the car you may be correct... but when you look at the engine, almost the opposite is true. The Ford GT motor, while it only shares like 15% of the parts of the Ford truck motor uses the same architecture, and is - for all intents and purposes - a cammed and supercharged version of it... whereas the LS7 is practically an entirely new engine.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:41 AM
TECH Regular

I wouldnt necessarily call the LS7 a brand new engine. It has been developed and used in race cars for several years now. Well a variant of it has anyway. And Chevy along with the LS1 guys have been using 427's for a while. Some of the parts in it are new though. But im sure Chevy already has the 427 all figured out and dialed in. Or the C5R wouldnt have been such a success.
Old 01-26-2005, 11:41 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 50 BMG
Ignoring the rampant & stupid opinions (am I on ls1gto.com hmmm, guess not):

This is not a comparison, nor should it be.

Ford GT has been confirmed @ 11.0/~130 MPH…BONE STOCK including tires, with rumored better times already surfacing. Anyone driving a GT to 12.2 needs to go back to bullshit writeups on real drivers and stay off the roads.

I don’t think 95% of the people in this thread understand the –ridiculous- amount of additional power that a pulley and tune will put on these cars. Never mind that its peanuts in cost. These are not roots blowers; these are 2.3 liter Whipple twin screws, at 15 PSI stock BTW. Consider this: if a pulley/tune is adding 70 hp on smaller roots Eaton supercharger cobras (4.6 liter engine), that hp figure will –at least- double on a stock Ford GT. As it's mid-engine, there should be almost no power loss (if any) to the wheels. Pulley/tune/Cams on these cars is going to be huge horsepower.

Mid-engine layout owns. There is a reason a front engine car hasn’t won LeMans overall since 1963…

Z06 has 2 things on the GT, price and weight. I’m not here to take away from it (the Z06); it is a badass car. If it really stays < 70K there is basically no reason to own a SRT Viper anymore. However I’m skeptical about the weight numbers right now on it, everything else seems legit.

Props for no one using the “if I bought a Z06 and used the rest to mods” argument.
FINALLY!!!! Someone with some REAL intelligence on the subject............. some of you people amaze me at the dribble that comes out of your mouths.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 52172
Which is faster do you think? Do you think the magazines will put them up against each other? They are already going to do a shootout with the z06 and the twin turbo porsche. I think the z06 is going to be a better car for less than half the money of the ford what does everyone think?
Well, i didn't read everyone's post, but my opinion is as follows:

New Z06 will be faster and superior in most of the performance tests.

Reasoning: the GT was compared to a Viper w/ 500 hp and the viper was quicker (by a tenth) in the acceleration tests in a Motortred mag last year.... since then, the GT was given another 50 hp becuase of the article .....from what i have "heard".

The new Z06 is gonna weigh less and still have 500+ hp at the motor. The potential of the GT from what i have "heard" is gonna be awesome. (just like the 03/04 Cobras). The new Z is gonna be forged also!!!

Bottom line, for the money, the new Z should spank the GT stock and even modded.....

my 2 pennies....let the flames roll in

Old 01-26-2005, 01:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Velocity
Well, on the actual body of the car you may be correct... but when you look at the engine, almost the opposite is true. The Ford GT motor, while it only shares like 15% of the parts of the Ford truck motor uses the same architecture, and is - for all intents and purposes - a cammed and supercharged version of it... whereas the LS7 is practically an entirely new engine.
I didnt mean motorwise, i would def. take a LS7 over the supercharged ford motor, but as far as frame structure, engine placment, etc. ford could do what they wanted where GM based the Z06 off the c6, which was roughly based on the c5.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lostpatrolman
No, the point is it is impossible to know exactly what you are getting from someone or some company when you buy. Look at how how many people buy a car, have a mechanic look it over thoroughly just to have it throw a rod a week later. Look at people that buy heads, look them over, they look fine, then they drop a valve soon after or break a spring. There are some things that are out of the buyers hands. Same thing as NASA, they spend billions of dollars building their shuttles and checking out the parts they get. EVerything they buy is top knotch, everything needs to be perfect. Looking at their histroy though they have been sold defective parts also and they have had their consequences. No one is perfect and there are some things beyond their control. I guess you can blame ford for not using their crystal ball to figure out which parts are good and which are bad.
thats exactically my point, it is nasa's fault for the shuttle explosion (unless the new theory involving lightning is true) I can understant that ford cant test every part they buy, but i dont understant how they could miss something as important as the halfshafts falling apart. how is this even an argument?
Old 01-26-2005, 07:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Next Phase
The new Z06 is gonna weigh less and still have 500+ hp at the motor. The potential of the GT from what i have "heard" is gonna be awesome. (just like the 03/04 Cobras). The new Z is gonna be forged also!!!
I have heard the LS7 will have forged pistons.
But, I read in the feb issue of automobile that they will be cast.
Which is it?
Old 01-26-2005, 08:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

I cant see GM dropping the ball on pistons and going cast, especially after seeing what the rest of the drivetrain and top end is made of. LSONE, your argument is rediculous. That is like saying it is the person's fault that ruins his engine because the new worked heads he bought were defective and dropped a valve. He shouldnt have bought defective parts...
Old 01-26-2005, 08:28 PM
Teching In

I second that WhiteTXmach...
Old 01-26-2005, 08:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lostpatrolman
That is like saying it is the person's fault that ruins his engine because the new worked heads he bought were defective and dropped a valve. He shouldnt have bought defective parts...
no, i'm saying its the companies fault for using shitty springs, your saying its the valvespring companies fault. either way, lets just agree to disagree, you're a lost cause
Old 01-26-2005, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

lostpatrolman:you have made so many ridiculous comments, I can't address them all, but the most glaring is the "Ford's not liable" statement. Remember a little incident called "Firestone Wilderness ATs?" Pretty sure Ford was liable...SAME type of issue.

Like I said before, Ford lets their customers do their R&D on all their new cars. And now they charge a fucggin arm and a leg for them? For $260k, you could get a Murcialago, which most mags agree is a WAY better car than the GT, even for thre 150 base price, you're almost in F430 and Gallardo range, again, both better cars to actually drive. Every article I have read comments on how cheap, shitty and plastic-y the GT is (corporate Ford Parts bin, see: Aston Martin Vanquish) not to mention the fit and finish of the car in general (leaking roofs) The GT is a POS for the money.
Old 01-27-2005, 07:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You can drive a C6 Z06 everyday and afford it.
Can't say the same for the GT, Lamborgini, Aston, Ferrari, TVR, or ANY other exotic.
With the exception of the F430, it looks better than ALL of them.
Old 01-27-2005, 07:38 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
1 black 2006 Z06 please.
Old 01-27-2005, 07:39 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Big Jimbo
U mean when u press the button and the car turns on??? I dont know about you but when the car is keylessly started, all u have to do is press the brake or gas pedal and it shuts off.........
Not this system, It's not a remote start. It's a keyless start.
Old 01-28-2005, 09:18 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Gen3Benz
You can drive a C6 Z06 everyday and afford it.
Can't say the same for the GT, Lamborgini, Aston, Ferrari, TVR, or ANY other exotic.
With the exception of the F430, it looks better than ALL of them.
You can daily drive anything you want depending on what you make. Some guy in Texas drives his McLaren daily to work.

I'd drive anything from the manufacturers you listed BEFORE an F430 as a daily driver (excluding the Murcielago).
Old 01-28-2005, 11:28 PM
TECH Junkie

remember what 03+ cobra engines are doing now.....just imagine a 5.4 with less weight
Old 01-29-2005, 12:49 AM
TECH Regular

Well while i was at the store a few minutes ago there was a magazine. It was Hemmings Muscle Machines and they got there hands on the 550hp Ford GT. And for the price the numbers weren't that impressive. It did a 1/4 at 11.6@128. Very much similar to what the new is estimated to do. And remember many chevy's are underrated and often perform better than GM thinks they will.
Old 01-29-2005, 12:50 AM
TECH Regular

Im sorry typoed, "very similar to what the new ZO6 is estimated to do. Sorry about that.
Old 01-29-2005, 02:07 AM
Teching In

So reason why Vette is better than $150K Ford GT its because its cheapper ? WTF
Than why buy a Vette over used Camaro or T/A !!! I mean its cheapper

Ford GT have suspension for road racing, NOT for drag racing
If you don't know whats better , you know whats more money

ANd its $150K not 250 like somebody else said

Last edited by Slow50; 01-29-2005 at 02:20 AM.
Old 01-29-2005, 09:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Slow50
So reason why Vette is better than $150K Ford GT its because its cheapper ? WTF
Than why buy a Vette over used Camaro or T/A !!! I mean its cheapper

Ford GT have suspension for road racing, NOT for drag racing
If you don't know whats better , you know whats more money

ANd its $150K not 250 like somebody else said
Newsflash! The Vette is not set up for drag racing, if thats what you mean. Its set up for road racing also The reason the Vette would be the better car is IF it matches the performance or is even remotely close to it, it will more than likely cost about half as much, you can go down to your GM dealer and buy one (not as easy with the GT )and not only do you get the matching performance but you also get a car that is docile enough to drive everyday. I've not actually compared the equipment options on the car, but I'm sure the vette has a lot more ammenities than the GT. Soooo, with a car that has similar to matching performance, has all the luxurie features of a standard vette, is attainable from your local GM dealer and costs half of a Ford GT, you tell me why the Ford GT is the better car? I'm afraid this is going to turn into one of those "gotta have factor" wins for the GT. It called the Car&Driver factor

Last edited by GMCVT; 01-29-2005 at 09:33 AM.

Quick Reply: 06 z06 vs fords gt-40