Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
View Poll Results: Would you like for your car to look like a 2002 Dick Harrell Camaro?
Hell yes!
80.30%
No, that would be ripping off the design of the Dick Harrell supercar.
19.70%
Voters: 396. You may not vote on this poll

Would you like for your car to look like a Dick Harrell Camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 06:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FIREHAWK#608
Tell you what... I was going to do the !mire mod prototype on his D Harrell car if you can believe that!!!! So yeah, I can get some measurements of the quarters.

I did another guy's Z/28 because I didn't want to drive across the entire Atlanta city to do his D Harrell car. I was crunched for time.

Anyways, I'm doing the coil relocation prototype this weekend and have an F-body mountain cruise next weekend, but I will definately make an appointment with him the 1st weekend in May. I'll take 55 digital (max of the camera)photos/ take measurements and send them to you.

You do understand that if I do all this you are then committed to making a nice set of flares right? ~Joshua

Once started I stay committed. Its getting started that is the hard part. But I am serious about this and my partner who is wanting to get big into kit cars wants to step aside and work on this too. I can see it happening soon with enough motivation, and I am getting alot of it out of this thread.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:40 PM
formerly mystic-t/a (changed 02/05/2013)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You still havent answered my questions. It takes a lot of time and money to do something like this and I just dont want you to do all that and find out that your out on a lot of money. Before you really go into this look at all the negatives and address them first, if you find solutions for all of them then go for it, if not then your better off not wasting your time or money.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:54 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mystic-t/a
You still havent answered my questions. It takes a lot of time and money to do something like this and I just dont want you to do all that and find out that your out on a lot of money. Before you really go into this look at all the negatives and address them first, if you find solutions for all of them then go for it, if not then your better off not wasting your time or money.
calm down, lol. Like I said I am still not certain how the rear panels will be done. I am looking for a rolling chassis at the moment so I can experiment with it and not mine or my partners cars. So for now I dont have an answer. I know it will get figured out though.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:14 PM
TECH Regular

That looks pretty damn sweet. Its a great way to liven up the IMHO, dull styling of LS1 Camaro's. Seems liek a bunch of T/A guys are up and compaining because the car looks better than a run of the mill T/A! Heck, while your at it, Heritage T/A kit! If you can pull it off I'm sure you'll find a market, especially if people are buying carbon fiber dash vents. ::giggle:: Anyway, from a business standpoint yous hopuld market it to everyone you can, V6 owners included. Who cares if they look dumb when they are paying you good money. It definetly is a great way to add some "pop" back to an aging bodystyle. Good luck with it!
Old 04-19-2006, 07:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I read page 1 and thought that was enough. I would like to see the rear panel made but somewhat smaller to allow us to put bigger tires in the rear. The hood is nice as well.

Other that that, make is cost a butt load and limit it to the ones who already have bad *** sounding cars.

I would be all for that, as long as its TOP QUALITY!!!!
Old 04-19-2006, 08:04 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mystic-t/a
That is my point, it doesn't flex much, but it does crack. And those fenders flex a good amount, that is how a lot of people have dents in their rear fenders, but if it was made of fiberglass then it would just crack.
Once again, the Dick Harrell cars were made of fiberflass and are doing fine. Corvettes are/were fiberglass and do fine...

Throw some sub-frames on (like the DH cars) and no worries at all...
Old 04-19-2006, 08:34 PM
TECH Resident

I wonder how a Firebird would look with a wide body?
Old 04-19-2006, 08:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Chaotic Firebird
I wonder how a Firebird would look with a wide body?
Too wide. The Camaro could use it though.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think sheet metal fender flares would be more realistic. and easier to graph on.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:53 PM
TECH Addict

Bump on that. If you made flares that bolted on it would be much less problematic. You would not have to worry about structural intergrity at the install, or structural integrity 6 months down the road when the fender snaps on someone running 10s.

The flares could be produced fairly cheaply compared to entire fender replacements once the measurements were taken and a mold was formed. Then you could just leave the molding of it up to whoeever purchased it. If you did it that way, you could make several options on flare size. Making some larger, or smaller, than the DH cars. That would eliminate any opinion on the car being copied and leave tire width selection to the customer. You could attract a much larger crowd this way.

The front fenders are flared on the DH as well, correct? If so, do you plan on these as well?
Old 04-19-2006, 10:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would for sure be interested in these fenders, I love the way the DH car looks and just because mine would not sound as nice it would look sexy as hell. I have wanted those rear fenders since seeing them on this years Power Tour, but no one makes them yet.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SVT THIS
Bump on that. If you made flares that bolted on it would be much less problematic. You would not have to worry about structural intergrity at the install, or structural integrity 6 months down the road when the fender snaps on someone running 10s.

The flares could be produced fairly cheaply compared to entire fender replacements once the measurements were taken and a mold was formed. Then you could just leave the molding of it up to whoeever purchased it. If you did it that way, you could make several options on flare size. Making some larger, or smaller, than the DH cars. That would eliminate any opinion on the car being copied and leave tire width selection to the customer. You could attract a much larger crowd this way.

The front fenders are flared on the DH as well, correct? If so, do you plan on these as well?
Yes I plan on doing the fronts too. All I can think of right now is getting a rolling chassis so i can ficure out the rear panel.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:17 PM
TECH Addict

OH!!! For you convertible camaros, we have it made! Not only are there not any Dick Harrel convertibles so we wouldnt look like his cars, but the whole rear panel would be easy as hell for me to make since ours bolt right on, they arent fiberglassed to the cars like the t-top/hard top cars. Now I have to get a rolling chassis t-top or hard top.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:53 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by OldSchoolFormula
That looks pretty damn sweet. Its a great way to liven up the IMHO, dull styling of LS1 Camaro's. Seems liek a bunch of T/A guys are up and compaining because the car looks better than a run of the mill T/A! Heck, while your at it, Heritage T/A kit! If you can pull it off I'm sure you'll find a market, especially if people are buying carbon fiber dash vents. ::giggle:: Anyway, from a business standpoint yous hopuld market it to everyone you can, V6 owners included. Who cares if they look dumb when they are paying you good money. It definetly is a great way to add some "pop" back to an aging bodystyle. Good luck with it!
Dustin, speaking of the Heritage T/A...I'd be first in line for lip rear spoiler like the Heritage. I'd much rather have a nice lip spoiler than the T/A wing. I am about 2-weeks from installing the '76 shaker hood on my 98 T/A; on my way to reaching for the Heritage look...and yes I know it is non-functional, just call it a tribute to the muscle-styling of the '70's. Some company out of the Metro area of TX has a site up that listed some F-Body fiberglass mods, but they seem to have abandoned the idea.

As for the Camaro, count me as a supporter of the fenders, and non-supporter of the hood or graphics. I realize you are not looking at building the hood, but it really characterizes the DW car. You may want to design a unique hood to characterize your kit. Something smoother that ties in well with the fenders. See the interesting PS linked here http://forums.autoweek.com/servlet/J...20firebird.jpg
Old 04-19-2006, 11:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Raleigh TA
Dustin, speaking of the Heritage T/A...I'd be first in line for lip rear spoiler like the Heritage. I'd much rather have a nice lip spoiler than the T/A wing. I am about 2-weeks from installing the '76 shaker hood on my 98 T/A; on my way to reaching for the Heritage look...and yes I know it is non-functional, just call it a tribute to the muscle-styling of the '70's. Some company out of the Metro area of TX has a site up that listed some F-Body fiberglass mods, but they seem to have abandoned the idea.

As for the Camaro, count me as a supporter of the fenders, and non-supporter of the hood or graphics. I realize you are not looking at building the hood, but it really characterizes the DW car. You may want to design a unique hood to characterize your kit. Something smoother that ties in well with the fenders. See the interesting PS linked here http://forums.autoweek.com/servlet/J...20firebird.jpg
Damn that is crazy looking!
Old 04-19-2006, 11:51 PM
11 Second Club

I guess I am rice. Keep us updated Dustin.

Old 04-20-2006, 12:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

DUSTIN: KEEP ME UPDATED IM INTERESTED!! in the kit fro my z and how much its going to run and and any other info and yes i plan on putting some good hp in her to back up the looks ;-)
Old 04-20-2006, 08:23 AM
TECH Addict

ChevyZ28Thunder = rice! jk Your car looks perfect!
Old 04-20-2006, 08:31 AM
TECH Addict

Have you thought about contacting an import body kit company?

I remember when we (a national gay *** club of Lumina Z34 owners) wanted to make body kits for our cars we contacted a kit company. They require like 15-20 orders before they do the go ahead. It may be different now, but its def. worth calling around.

It may be easier for you to talk to them about making a mold you could purchase directly from them. Then, you could just get a fiberglass gun and fill that **** in. You may be able to find a used fiberglass gun if you call around-I know that animal decoy shops and some custom home builders have them.

That way you wouldn't have to spend a fortune on R&D. Instead of a rolling chassis what if you could get ahold of some rear panels or front fenders? If that will work I don't mind calling around locally at some salvages and looking for you. I'm all game to help out however I can as long as these things get made.

BTW Check your PM Dustin.

EDIT: I hyperlinked this thread on a bunch of other Camaro forums. Hopefully the numbers will be more representative.

Last edited by SVT THIS; 04-20-2006 at 08:43 AM.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:08 AM
TECH Addict

Pmed you SVT THIS

Quick Reply: Would you like for your car to look like a Dick Harrell Camaro?