Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power steering cooler install

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 08:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering cooler install

So I figured I would write a little How To on the Power steering cooler which I choose to install before I go out track racing.

I am not liable for any actions that occur from this at all.

To begin I ordered a Thin line transmission cooler Jeg's website (Part #771-1010) for about $30 then I went to make local hardware store and bought a 3/8" to 3/8" male to male brass coupler barb for $4. Three feet of 3/8" hose was included but I needed to purchase another six feet of 3/8" hose for like $10 at my local auto parts store, well I was there I picked up another 3 quarts of power steering fluid. The only other thing I needed was a bunch of zip ties, socket set and a good pair of snips which I already owned.

So above is all the parts minus the tools:
-Thin Line Transmission cooler Jeg's website (Part #771-1010) $30
-3/8" to 3/8" male to male brass coupler barb $4
-Power steering fluid $9
-Six feet of 3/8" hose $10
Total of $53 to keep the power steering fluid from boiling!

So first things first drive the car on ramps and find the return line:

Pop the power steering pump lid off and then disconnect the return line from the power steering pump it self right here (be prepared for fluid to come out):

Let it drain out then head to the front and look for a suitable location for the power steering cooler, I choose here:

Then proceed to mount it up (eventually I will use one or two big zip ties):

I hooked up the six foot section of 3/8" tubing to the barb on the power steering cooler and then began to plumb the hose:

Run it up next to the return line you unplugged from the pump (here the stock return line has green lines on it and the new one you plumbed in has red lines):

Plug in the other three foot 3/8" hose to the other barb on the power steering cooler and plumb it through the car. You should end up with something looking like this (once again red lined hose came from the power steering cooler, the one with red stripes and red circles is the one you just plumbed, and the green is the stock)

Finally take the hose with the red stripes and plug it into the barb off the bottom of the power steering pump and attach a ring clamp, then take the hose with the red stripes and red circles and plug the brass coupler barb into it attach with ring clamp then take the stock line and plug them into each other (this may take a little triming) then attach a ring clamp. You should end up with something looking like this:

My three foot 3/8" hose looked like this:

Be sure to zip tie all the hoses out of the way of any moving parts or heat, then fill up the power steering pump, jack the tires off the ground and fire up the car look for leaks. Once you have determined no leaks have a friend get in the car and turn the steering wheel rack to rack 3-5 times and check level and fill as neccesary. Now your good to go take the car out and monitor the fluid level and add if neccesary!

I hope this was useful for you and check my website for updates and tons of photos anytime, just click here.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:28 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice write-up man!
Old 07-29-2007, 10:05 PM
11 Second Club

thank you figured I would try and give back for the so much I have received
Old 07-29-2007, 10:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have to add 20 bucks in zip ties to the cost

It's a nice write up, but I don't see how you would need this. Is this for road racing applications?

Did you figure the speedo thing out or did you give up?
Old 07-29-2007, 11:52 PM
11 Second Club

road racing = track in my talk, gave up on the speedo thing nobody seems to have an answer
Old 07-30-2007, 02:24 AM
TECH Resident

NICE!!!

you can also mount it near the air pump at the vent there on the drivers side...thats what i did and u can't see it and it gets all the air from the front of the car

i will post up pics later if anyone wants also for this idea
Old 01-11-2008, 12:38 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZL1Killa
NICE!!!

you can also mount it near the air pump at the vent there on the drivers side...thats what i did and u can't see it and it gets all the air from the front of the car

i will post up pics later if anyone wants also for this idea
I've been wanting to do this with my car. I know this thread is old but would you mind posting any pics of the cooler ZL1Killa?

Quick Reply: Power steering cooler install