LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

hExx's Review: K&N vs CAI Intake

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 04:02 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hExx's Review: K&N vs CAI Intake

So I installed my K&N last night after FINALLY selling the CAI intake. With all the debate on which one is better, I figured I'd throw down my review being that not all of us actually got a chance to try both.

CAI:
The CAI intake is a very nice, good looking intake overall. The installation was much easier than the K&N (less pieces). There is a modest performance boost overall. Soundwise you don't really hear it until 3800-4000 RPMS. Take off the lid and the sound improves a bit, but you probably sacrifice a little bit in terms of keeping it more sealed away from engine heat.

What I REALLY liked about the intake was that the inside of the enclosure had a nice layer of insulation. I took the car out one sunny and hot Florida summer day and drove it around for like a 1/2 hour stomping on it a lot. I stopped and popped the hood and found the the IAT's were def MUCH hotter outside the box than inside. The outside of the box was VERY hot, but the insulation was barely warm...my conclusion is that the box is def doing it's job to keep the incoming air cooler..

CAI Pros:
-Sealed box that seems to effectively keep intake temperatures lower
-Great looking
-Easy installation
-Nice sound past 4000 RPMS

CAI Cons:
-Uses restrictive stock tubing which seems to be it's ultimate downfall

K&N:
The K&N is also not a bad looking intake. For those looking for a more "stockish" \ conservative look, this is the way to go. I felt a MUCH more significant performance boost over the CAI intake! I was shocked at how much harder it really pulls! It makes sense though...K&N did it right by replacing the crappy stock tubing with something much less restrictive. Think of the difference sorta like mandrel bent vs none mandrel bent exhaust piping.

Soundwise, I was not as impressed as I thought I would be. Others have reviewed it to be a lot louder....I do not find this to be the case necessarily. I noticed *slightly* more grunt around the 2500 - 3500 RPM range....not much though. Once you hit around 3800 - 4000 RPM's, the CAI intake seems to be a little louder with the top removed. So if you have a CAI intake and are considering going with the K&N merely for the sound difference.....it's not worth it.

K&N Pros
-Stock intake tubing replaced with something much less restrictive
-more "stock" look and feel
-GREAT performance...def much better than the CAI

K&N Cons
-Operates on higher intake temps due to open design
-more tedious installation than CAI

Conclusion:
K&N wins. The performance is unrivaled. The price is lower. How can you beat that? The CAI is still a VERY nice intake. But if they want to keep on selling intakes, they're going to have to drop their price way below K&N's, OR they're going to have to fabricate intake tubing to replace the crappy stock tubing it uses. At the end of the day, the best setup would be the CAI box with the K&N replacement tubing. Someone needs to do BOTH!

Edit: I just contacted CAI and told them that using the stock tubing is really killing their otherwise elegant product. Let's see if they bone up and fix it and offer current CAI owners a cheap or free upgrade.

Last edited by hexxLS4; 08-28-2007 at 04:20 AM.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Good review. Thanks.

I would jump at the replacement tubing for my CAI if it was available or I new exactly what to get. I have no time to fabricate one.

Cooler air that moves unrestricted would make me the most satisfied.

The K&N tubing is one feature I really liked on my truck and Z. I just don't care for the extra noise on the truck. Maybe the Imp has a lot more insulation for noise.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:43 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hExx, I will take my cut on helping you out 2x now on CAI's, LOL
Old 08-28-2007, 06:15 AM
Launching!

Anything special about the K&N intake tube? Just a hole drilled into the elbow for a grommet for the IAT sensor?

Hmmm, might need to try to fab something up for mine....
Old 08-28-2007, 07:40 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by live2ride
Good review. Thanks.

I would jump at the replacement tubing for my CAI if it was available or I new exactly what to get. I have no time to fabricate one.

x2...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 08-28-2007, 08:29 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by nighthand
Anything special about the K&N intake tube? Just a hole drilled into the elbow for a grommet for the IAT sensor?

Hmmm, might need to try to fab something up for mine....
Yep....that's pretty much it...it's too bad K&N doesn't just sell these pieces seperate....or do they.....
Old 08-28-2007, 08:30 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Taz34SS
hExx, I will take my cut on helping you out 2x now on CAI's, LOL
yep...special thanks to Taz for selling me his CAI uber cheap...I think I was the third member on the board to own it...community intake lol
Old 08-28-2007, 08:41 AM
TECH Resident

And helping you on the K&N CAI aswell...
Old 08-28-2007, 08:46 AM
TECH Resident

ya...it didn't take much convincing from you for me to want the K&N....when I heard you felt significantly more power without even being tuned yet, I was sold. I'm surprised you even feel more power with the uber amounts of TM that these cars have stock. Sound-wise, I had my hopes a little higher...but the performance alone was worth it!
Old 08-28-2007, 08:47 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by hexxLS4
Yep....that's pretty much it...it's too bad K&N doesn't just sell these pieces seperate....or do they.....
nope, they don't... I asked them about a month or two ago...

you could check here for individual parts...

http://www.spectreperformance.com/modularintake/

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
Old 08-28-2007, 10:32 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS
nope, they don't... I asked them about a month or two ago...

you could check here for individual parts...

http://www.spectreperformance.com/modularintake/
Damn I wish I woulda done a little searching before I sold the CAI. I def woulda just gone the route of customizing it. =P Thanks for the link anyways.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:33 PM
TECH Resident

No problem. Always looking out for an old friend ( we go back to the days of 2kmc with the L67's. ) You are the one that talked me into waiting for diablosport to come out with the 07 tuner.... Now I just gotta wait.............................................. .................................................. ...................................... LOL
Old 08-28-2007, 01:07 PM
TECH Addict

Interesting...thanks for the comparison.

I was going to start another thread about something like this...but if you don't mind...i'm going to add it here.

Anyway, when i installed an intake on my 4.0L Explorer, it came with an open-cone filter...the end was not flat like the K&N...but it was a quality filter brand (whose name brand i cannot remember).

Wouldn't there be a significant benefit to an open-cone filter as opposed to this one? It would seem more air would get sucked in with less resistance. With K&N seemingly the frontrunner in this field, there MUST be a reason they do what they do, right?
Old 08-28-2007, 01:29 PM
TECH Resident

What am I? Chopped Liver?
Old 08-28-2007, 01:57 PM
TECH Resident

Corny, No your not... But what is about chooped liver?

Buffalo, I think the reason why the K&N does a great job on the LS4 motors is due to the intake tube, which is alot more free flowing then the stock one, and also the open cone ( 360 ) design. With the lack of airflow coming into that spot vs the older W body cars, ( Monte, Impala and Grand Prix from 2000 to 2005 ) the K&N not only picks up the air from where it can, but also picks up the fresh air coming in from the front grills aswell.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:25 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

but a lot more engine heat too, no? being as it's so open under there and only has that little plastic piece.. .doesn't really shield it much from the engine heat...

Old 08-28-2007, 02:51 PM
TECH Addict

Sorry Taz, you may have misunderstood my question or i didn't get my question across right. I know what makes the K&N great, to an extent, but...

The K&N is not an open cone...it's a closed cone (sealed end). I (remember that I) had an S&B Powerstack filter on my Explorer...and those are open cones...notice the open end:

http://www.sbfilters.com/universal_filters.php

Wouldn't it seem you'd get more air from an Open cone vs. a Closed cone filter?

[HEY CORNY>>>I SEE A RED ONE IN THAT PIC ]
Old 08-28-2007, 03:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yes I guess more air could come in, but you would want to smooth out the air flow. I would think air coming in from the top, and sides with the ring around the top would cause more turbulence.

I’ve read the screen in the MAF also functions to smooth out the air flow through the MAF.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:13 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BuffaloSS
[HEY CORNY>>>I SEE A RED ONE IN THAT PIC ]
Thanks Buff!!! I'm all over that!!!
Old 08-28-2007, 04:17 PM
TECH Regular

I took out my k&n sprayed it with that high heat engine paint. Then on the inside I layered this down. http://www.1tail.com/sa/p/Reflect-A-Cool_12_x_24_.htm

Then I ran an intake tube down underneath my fog light to the rectangle hole in the drivers side front panel. I am happy as hell I monitored the heat with my HP Tuners and my IAT dropped almost 30 degrees. I also bent the K&N shield to make it fit more snug in the car also.

P.S. DON'T LAYER IT ON THE OUTSIDE! (Keeps the heat in) I learned that mistake already. I had to redo the hole thing and put it on the inside (Keeps the heat out).

Quick Reply: hExx's Review: K&N vs CAI Intake