Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

MTI Stealth II cam+Stage II LS6 heads makes 422.7 RWHP!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2003, 03:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default MTI Stealth II cam+Stage II LS6 heads makes 422.7 RWHP!

That was a pickup of 71.6 RWHP at the peaks and alot more than that in other places (after the stock cam's peak.) Not bad for an A4 car with a cam that prompted me to accuse them of reinstalling the stock cam in my car when I first heard it (we left the idle where I had it with the stock cam at 675 RPM.) That 116 LSA really did it's job at making the cam truly stealthy. Everyone in the shop was laughing at how stock it sounds. Now I knew that it would be fairly close to stock sounding but I had no idea just how close it would be. I couldn't believe my ears.

For those of you who may think that a 116 LSA cam can't make TQ, this cam absolutely KILLED the stock cam all the way across the chart. It made 395 ft-lbs of TQ with a locked converter. The stock TQ was 360.

And here's the kicker...I got BETTER MPG than with the stock engine! I measured 325 miles out of 15.5 gallons of fuel on the way to MTI. When I left with the new package I measured 340 miles out of 15.1 gallons. I would have been very happy to have made 300 miles to a tank. I certainly wasn't expecting to PICK UP gas mileage!

Here are some more details.

The car has the standard bolt-ons including QTP 1 3/4" headers. No bolt-ons were added with the heads/cam package.

The 422 RWHP was made through the QTP cuttout. With the cuttout closed and running through the stock exhaust it made 395.5 RWHP. The stock muffler is REALLY restrictive at this power level and the reverse split seems to really like the cuttout.

No timing or fuel/air changes were made.

It had TR-6 plugs before and after.

Peak HP was at 5950 and it held within a just few HP for AT LEAST 550 RPM (to the end of the chart.) Nice and flat across the top. Lot's of usable power.

All runs were made with ALL original accessories intact. NO short belt. NO electric water pump. The air filter WAS in place. The converter was locked. The stock rockers and lifters were re-used.

Cam specs are 224/220 .581/.581 116 LSA

Here are a couple of dyno sheets. In this first chart we see how much power the stock muffler cost. Capped v/s uncapped. This chart also shows us how well the SS2 cam holds it's power after peak. It just keeps going and going and going...

This chart compared the SS2 cam to the stock cam...

This chart stops at 6000 RPM for some reason. I'll see if Jayson has one that goes higher...

Old 09-18-2003, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: MTI Stealth II cam+LS6 heads makes 422.7 RWHP!

These were stock LS6 heads? Were they assembled with the stock 02+ valves?

Hey jmX.... This reminds me of a stockish TA with a Hooker catback

Sounds like a really nice setup. Is the valvetrain any noisier than it was before?

Chris
Old 09-18-2003, 03:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey...wait a sec... Headers, right?
Old 09-18-2003, 03:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

I should have stated that they were stage II LS6 heads done by MTI. I guess I assumed everyone would assume that.

Yes, the same QTP headers I've been running.

I'll go back and give some more details in the original post.
Old 09-18-2003, 03:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow!!! Nice gains!!! So when are the track times??
Old 09-18-2003, 04:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

To begin with I didn't notice any increased valvetrain noise until Jayson pointed it out. His ears are pretty well tuned to LS1s. While driving it I can hear it with the cuttout closed just a tinsy bit. It's hardly noticable. With the cuttout even cracked, forget it. Can't hear it at all. The stock rocker arms and lifters were re-used.

Track times? Stay tuned. Won't be long.
Old 09-18-2003, 04:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey Colonel, what happend to the pin on the timing end of the cam? how did yall fix that?
Congrats on your new found power!! I wish I could have stayed around and heard it.
Old 09-18-2003, 04:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

I added the TQ specs from the dyno runs to my post.

Wassup, Drew? It was nice to meet you. We chopped the end of the stock cam off and used a hammer and punch to knock the pin out. We used that pin in the new cam. No problem. For those of you wondering, for some reason the new cam didn't come with the timing gear pin. I've had this happen to me before. You could actually install the cam without that pin if you wanted. The three timing gear bolts are what actually takes the load. The pin is just there to help you line it up.
Old 09-18-2003, 04:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

How would you compare this with the original stealth cam (220/220 .581/.581 115 lsa)?

What would be the differences between the two?
Also, what do you think would be the difference using Stage2 Ls1 heads?
Old 09-18-2003, 04:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

I would think that the idle would be the same. The increased LSA of this cam (116 compared to 115 for the SS1) counteracts the extra 4 degrees of intake duration as far as idle is concerned. The HP should be a little higher with this SS2 cam but that peak should be at a little higher RPM and it should carry that power out a little longer than the SS1 so higher shift points would be needed to get the most out of this cam. Some people will prefer the SS1 for this reason. I would also think that this cam might suffer just a little more from not having a free flowing exhaust since it is biased to the intake side.

I think the Stage II LS1 heads would make about 10 RWHP less.
Old 09-18-2003, 04:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Stephen, it was good too finally meet you too! Thats actually what I thought that same thing when I was thinking about it on the way home. glad it worked out
Old 09-18-2003, 04:29 PM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Very nice...
Old 09-18-2003, 04:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

That 116 LSA really did it's job at making the cam truly stealthy. Everyone in the shop was laughing at how stock it sounds. Now I knew that it would be fairly close to stock sounding but I had no idea just how close it would be. I couldn't believe my ears.
Congrats Colonel! Yeah, the guys at the shop laugh at mine too!! Nice numbers, I wonder how much you think an M6 would pull with this setup?

Randy
Old 09-18-2003, 04:59 PM
On The Tree

Damnit Colonel .. This just makes my cam choice even harder

BTW - Is the Cam available now?
Old 09-18-2003, 05:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

I think it's a safe bet that an M6 would have made at least 10 RWHP better...maybe more?

This setup really goes against the "way bigger is way better" mentality that is so prevalent with street cams these days.
Old 09-18-2003, 05:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Sure, MTI can order you one but they don't have them in stock yet.
Old 09-18-2003, 05:57 PM
10 Second Club

Very impressive. Low 11s should be a fairly easy targed, considering the internally stock times that car produced and how much new found power it has. You think you'll still be able to hook with all the extra torque on those nittos?

Jordan
Old 09-18-2003, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

This setup really goes against the "way bigger is way better" mentality that is so prevalent with street cams these days.

See that's what I was wondering. What do you think this setup would make with an x1 cam? It'd have to be considerably more, right?

This setup sounds like a great one for emissions and drivability, and those who dont want any cam related issues whatsoever.
Old 09-18-2003, 06:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well, I guess it's according to what your idea of a considerable amount is.

I would like to see my graph over the top of an X1 cam in a similar car. The peak HP would certainly be somewhat greater with the X1. How much? I don't know but I think it would be about 10 RWHP (NOT worth the gain to me for a daily driver.) Like I said, I really don't know for sure but I do know that we're really not talking about a whole lot even when comparing peaks. But peaks don't tell the whole story...especially with a true street car (meaning, we're not running a lightweight car, 4.x gears, and a 4xxx converter. This cam has really good power over a wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide range of rpms.

What I'm saying is, sure, the X1, or some other large cams, will win the race if the rest of the car is setup to take advantage of it, but this little cam will hold it's own against the larger cams even at the track. And it flat out rocks for a daily driver!
Old 09-18-2003, 06:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Let me also be clear that I'm a BIG fan of the X1 cam. I like it. If I wanted my car to sound like it was as fast as it is, I'd be running one right now. (But I don't. I'm sneaky like that!)

Just didn't want you big cammers to jump me!

Quick Reply: MTI Stealth II cam+Stage II LS6 heads makes 422.7 RWHP!