Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Help me build up a dream garage

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2003, 02:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me build up a dream garage

I'm looking to build up a dream garage from scratch. What all would you suggest buying?

I would like to have Air tools, but no lift.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 12-08-2003, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why don't you want a lift?

I tell you what I'm planning. First of course, and air compressor. I have a 60 gal oil lubed kind. And I'll be installing metal lines to mutiple places around the garage. Floor drain, and water supply to clean it all up.

Welder- probably get a 220v 175 amp model

Big toolbox, big work bench, some peg board, power washer, lots of tools. I kinda want a paint booth in mine. Plenty of storage for multiple cars and parts.

I'm planning to put the air compressor in the bathroom, so the noise is really cut down. Also a big wash tub/sink in the bathroom.

Some of this is what I want, some is what I have. Someday....
Old 12-08-2003, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have to agree with Ackattack1... why no lift?

Tell us what tools you have now and what type of work you plan on doing in the future, it would also help to know if you have a budget.

Al
Old 12-08-2003, 03:28 PM
On The Tree

I can't fit a light lol
Old 12-08-2003, 03:28 PM
On The Tree

I can't fit a lift lol
Old 12-08-2003, 03:29 PM
On The Tree

I've got the basic Sockets and Ratchets, but would like to add

Air Tools
More Sockets
More Ratchets
Plan on doing K-member and A-arm Swap, also motor swap too.
Old 12-08-2003, 03:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RED01TAWS6
I can't fit a lift lol
Are you saying you already have the building but it's not high enough for a lift?
Old 12-08-2003, 04:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RED01TAWS6
I can't fit a lift lol
Build a bigger garage.

If all you have is some sockets, first you need to go and get a good mechanic's tool set. A floor jack and some jack stands. I'd also get a creeper. Rhino ramps are pretty hand for these cars too.

As for air tools start of with some of the basics first, and then add as you need too. So I'd go with impact and impact sockets, rachet, and maybe a grinder.
Old 12-08-2003, 07:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A shop ... you will have best friends you never knew you had ...

A lift ... while extremely convenient to do big jobs underneath the car, I have found that in my case, I could have only really used a lift a couple of times in the 6 years I've had my shop.

It takes just as long to drive the car in, get out and align the lift legs and raise the car as it does to jack the car and set it down on jack stands.

A lift also severly limits the floor space in the shop, as well.

Metal work ... you need to have some place that is segregated from the shop proper. Grinding dust get EVERYWHERE!

Air compressor/pneaumatic tools ... If you saw in another thread, I received an 18V DeWalt 1/2" and 3/8" drive cordless impacts for my anniversary. These are AWESOME tools! The 1/2" drive impact can back off fully torqued lugnuts without a problem.

While the cost of the corless impacts are twice as expensive as a decent pneumatic gun, not including the cost of the air compressor itself, you don't need the fittings, hose, hose reels, driers, lubricators ... that air tools require.

And a skydiver doesn't need an emergency chute, just give them a welding lead or air hose. It will snag on something ... I guarantee it!

Last edited by mitchntx; 12-08-2003 at 07:49 PM.
Old 12-08-2003, 07:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

When I build my next garage it will be like this

30x30 shop with one hoist, shop air, floor drains water 220and 110 outlets workbenchs, cabnets and tool boxes
20x25 room for parking my cars
15x15 for metal fab
15x15 for lawn and home ****
20x10 for parking her car

someday......................
Old 12-08-2003, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mitchntx

It takes just as long to drive the car in, get out and align the lift legs and raise the car as it does to jack the car and set it down on jack stands.
Not if you have a four post lift like mine, you drive the car onto the ramps and it's ready to lift the car. A lift is also handy when detailing you car, a lift may not be for everyone but I'm glad I have one.

ta12sec, Being you live in Michigan make sure when you're ready for a lift to check out www.aresco.org/new_page_1.htm , too bad you don't need one now. They have there four post lift on sale for $2295 plus tax ( black only ) picked up at there Pontiac shop.
Old 12-08-2003, 11:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have talked to them and their lifts are top notch, Ill just wait till we replace one a work, or maybe when we move to a new building one will get "lost".
A 4 post is the only way to go imho.
Old 12-09-2003, 02:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mitchntx
I dunno about that. Once you get used to setting up a lift, it takes no time. If it takes me more than 30 seconds to set up a lift I get annoyed. Stupid trucks with step frames

I realize in his case he doesn't have room for a lift, but for the purpose of this reply I must say hands down a lift is THE most indespensable tool in a shop. And they are far safer than jackstands as well.

As far as cordless tools, they're OK but lack the raw power of air tools. They also can't run continuously, and aren't very fluid-resistant. And I can't remember the last time I saw a cordless air ratchet. They are great for some stuff though, without a doubt. The key to keeping air hoses at bay is hang them from the celing from a hose real. Can't trip over them if they're not all over the floor You also don't really need driers unless you're painting. A simple trap with a ball valve that can be drained periodicly is all that is necissary. Lubricators aren't necissary either. Just a simple $2.50 bottle of air tool oil will suffice, a few drops down the air inlet every day before use is more than enough.

Trust me, I turn wrenches for a living. If there are two things I wouldn't want to be without it would be a lift and air tools. (And flush machines )
Old 12-09-2003, 06:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess my thoughts on the lift surround a car with side skirts, like a Trans AM. I have to run the pads all the way down, move the legs under the car, run the pads up so the legs don't hit the skirts and then lift.

As for a drive on, you are right abuot ease of initial use. but to change a tire, you still have to jack it up.

Air tools ... I too wouldn't trade my air tools. My thoughts were more for those who were budget minded. I am thoroughly impressed with how well they are working out.

But this is a "dream garage" thread ...

ta12sec ... regardless of how big you build it, it is too small. I'm 24x54 ... too small, need more room!
Old 12-09-2003, 08:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

"As for a drive on, you are right abuot ease of initial use. but to change a tire, you still have to jack it up."

That is the beauty of center jacks on a drive in hoist.

"ta12sec ... regardless of how big you build it, it is too small. I'm 24x54 ... too small, need more room!"

I know But I can deal with my previous measuremnets, If I run out of room Ill juts put up a second garage in fthe front yard.
Old 12-09-2003, 10:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have been thinking of building a 42x40. 3 cars across and 2 car deep. That way the back half would "hopefully" be enough room to work.

Quick Reply: Help me build up a dream garage