General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Mobil 1 Synthetic 5w-30 Newer Vehicle Formula

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2004, 07:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Mobil 1 Synthetic 5w-30 Newer Vehicle Formula

Sup guys, I know I read a post, but couldn't come up on the search. Someone here is the resident Oil Guru, I'm in Hawaii and I'm currently using the above oil on my '01 SS.

How long should I wait between changes, I've been taught the 3k or 3 months but heard up to 9k from some mechanics who swear by this Oil.

Also, being in Hawaii, it's never colder than 60 here, and it's a daily driver, should I switch ratings/formula? ie 0w-30, 15w-50, etc?

Any help/opinions, thanks
Old 01-08-2004, 08:56 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I go 5K miles on 5w30 mobil 1. With a K&N Filter as well. You can't just throw a POS Fram filter on there and expect it to last as long as your oil changed intervals once they pass the standard 3K.
Old 01-08-2004, 09:47 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by FenixSS
Someone here is the resident Oil Guru
That's 'Patman', he knows his stuff.
I used to use 5W-30 (and even 0W-30) but after hearing Patman talk about the various content and 'VI improvers' in some of the thinner weights I went back to 10W-30 year round (I'm in NJ, temps range from 5*F (winter) to 105*F (summer) LOL, but those are extremes of course).
My brother uses Amsoil which is great synthetic as is Redline but they cost more and are harder to obtain (mail order) than the simpler 'off the shelf' Mobil 1.
I want to try the new Mobil 1 0W-40 as well when (if) it becomes available in my area.
Old 01-08-2004, 11:07 PM
11 Second Club

change it when it gets dirty.
Old 01-09-2004, 03:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
That's 'Patman', he knows his stuff.
I used to use 5W-30 (and even 0W-30) but after hearing Patman talk about the various content and 'VI improvers' in some of the thinner weights I went back to 10W-30 year round (I'm in NJ, temps range from 5*F (winter) to 105*F (summer) LOL, but those are extremes of course).
My brother uses Amsoil which is great synthetic as is Redline but they cost more and are harder to obtain (mail order) than the simpler 'off the shelf' Mobil 1.
I want to try the new Mobil 1 0W-40 as well when (if) it becomes available in my area.
Truth be told, the newest formulations of many synthetics don't contain as much VI improvers even in 5w30 and 0w30 form, so they are actually now the better viscosities to run over 10w30, even in hot climates, since you'll have much faster oil flow on startup, which can significantly reduce engine wear.

Mobil 1 5w30 is a decent oil, and you can definitely get longer than 3000 miles out of it. How far you go is dependant on the type of driving you do. It's safe to say you can very easily go 6000 miles or one year, without a doubt. I do believe the better choice in oils for the LS1 are Redline 5w30, Amsoil 0w30 or 5w30, or the new German made Castrol Syntec 0w30 (which possibly would be available in Hawaii under it's original name Castrol Formula SLX) The benefits of these oils listed is that they are all formulated on the thicker end of the 30wt range, and offer better protection than Mobil 1 which is formulated on the thin end. Mobil 1 0w40 is the better choice if you absolutely must stick with M1, although it also tends to show higher iron, as it's antiwear package is not as strong as those other oils mentioned, since those oils mentioned don't follow the more strict API certification which limits the amount of ZDDP in the oil.
Old 01-09-2004, 03:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Texas Terminator
change it when it gets dirty.
Just changing it by looks alone is not the way to do it. Read this link if you really want an eye opener:

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/s.../oil-life.html
Old 01-09-2004, 05:57 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DMNSPD
I go 5K miles on 5w30 mobil 1. With a K&N Filter as well. You can't just throw a POS Fram filter on there and expect it to last as long as your oil changed intervals once they pass the standard 3K.
Which auto stores usually carry K&N oil filters?
Old 01-09-2004, 11:27 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Patman
Just changing it by looks alone is not the way to do it. Read this link if you really want an eye opener:

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/s.../oil-life.html
i'll read that later, but, i don't use synthetic and what i have invested in my motor, i'll change it every week if need be. otherwise, i don't disagree, this is just my way of doing things, that's all. motor=expensive oil=cheap insurance german made oil 'eh? they can build hella cars, oil too i suppose.

Last edited by Texas Terminator; 01-09-2004 at 11:32 AM.
Old 01-09-2004, 11:30 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by yeary01z71
i know slowreilly's has them. if you are going to change the filter alot, save your money and opt for a conventional gm or wix. once again, jmo.
Old 01-09-2004, 11:34 AM
11 Second Club

I use Mobil 1 5w30, and do not highly recomend it, it seems to have trouble on cold morning starts. The starter has trouble turning it over, and the car sounds like sopme old POS starting. It started real nice with the thicker 10w30, so I will definatly switch back next time. I only experienced this starting problem when I changed oils, and only after. As a matter of fact, that night the temp was 59* and I turned the key and it went gug gug gug gug gug gug vroom. The night before was colder at 54* and I had no problems at all. The car starts fine when it is hot so the starter is OK.
Old 01-09-2004, 11:44 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by yeary01z71
I sell them
Old 01-09-2004, 12:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by CamaroSS
I use Mobil 1 5w30, and do not highly recomend it, it seems to have trouble on cold morning starts. The starter has trouble turning it over, and the car sounds like sopme old POS starting. It started real nice with the thicker 10w30, so I will definatly switch back next time. I only experienced this starting problem when I changed oils, and only after. As a matter of fact, that night the temp was 59* and I turned the key and it went gug gug gug gug gug gug vroom. The night before was colder at 54* and I had no problems at all. The car starts fine when it is hot so the starter is OK.
That does not make sense. 10w30 is going to be thicker on startup than 5w30, so starting will always be easier with the thinner oil.
Old 01-09-2004, 02:59 PM
11 Second Club

no doubt, that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. original battery? starter failing? corrosion?
Old 01-09-2004, 03:06 PM
On The Tree

I use Mobil 1 5W30 RELIGIOUSLY!!! Stuff is awesome in my book, never had a problem with noise, startup, oil burning etc., but to each his own. Use what you are willing to pay for and are happy with. Plus after reading the link about the oil analysis, I definitly feel great about using it.
Old 01-09-2004, 04:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Patman
Truth be told, the newest formulations of many synthetics don't contain as much VI improvers even in 5w30 and 0w30 form, so they are actually now the better viscosities to run over 10w30, even in hot climates, since you'll have much faster oil flow on startup, which can significantly reduce engine wear.

Mobil 1 5w30 is a decent oil, and you can definitely get longer than 3000 miles out of it. How far you go is dependant on the type of driving you do. It's safe to say you can very easily go 6000 miles or one year, without a doubt. I do believe the better choice in oils for the LS1 are Redline 5w30, Amsoil 0w30 or 5w30, or the new German made Castrol Syntec 0w30 (which possibly would be available in Hawaii under it's original name Castrol Formula SLX) The benefits of these oils listed is that they are all formulated on the thicker end of the 30wt range, and offer better protection than Mobil 1 which is formulated on the thin end. Mobil 1 0w40 is the better choice if you absolutely must stick with M1, although it also tends to show higher iron, as it's antiwear package is not as strong as those other oils mentioned, since those oils mentioned don't follow the more strict API certification which limits the amount of ZDDP in the oil.
Much Mahalos, Patman. I'll wait til 6k, money is tight being jobless and all. I'll look into those other oils, there's a Redline outlet here that my Dad wanted me to goto, but I thought M1 was best since it's factory for camaro/corvette. Good to know that I can go with a 0 weight.
Old 01-15-2004, 12:04 AM
TECH Resident

I use M1 5w-30 in my 02 Z28 and couple that with a K&N oil filter. Like the guy above said motor = expensive oil = cheap. Just change a 3k and don't worry about it.
Old 01-15-2004, 05:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

But why waste time and money to change it at 3k when this test below proves that you can go way longer with synthetics in an LS1 with no ill effects whatsoever?

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/mobil1.html
Old 01-16-2004, 07:08 AM
11 Second Club

I don't know what can explain it......it just does, and I don't know why. It may be something else but I got it looked at and that what the mechanic said. So I blame the oil, maybe it's not, we will see when I change it in the next few weeks when i change it.

Maybe it is suden temprature drop went from a low of 70 to 34 in a matter of 4 or 5 days?
Old 01-16-2004, 07:21 AM
Restricted User

i'd say thats your car, i went out and started mine when it was -3 last week and it started the same when its 90 out.
Old 01-16-2004, 12:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have used the Mobil 1 10W-30 in my car ever since I bought it and I have no problems with it. I switched to the 5W-30 once during the summer and I wasn't a fan since my oil pressure was dropping below where it would be with the 10W-30. I know it had to do with the thinner oil, and I know that the gauge probably isn't all that accurate either....is it acutally a gauge anyways??? BTW I change it every 5K and use the Delco PF46 filter

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 Synthetic 5w-30 Newer Vehicle Formula