Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

The Proper Cleaning of the LSx engine bay..

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 10:24 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default The Proper Cleaning of the LSx engine bay..

Congrats to Fenix.. his post made me realize how much this question comes up (over and over and over)

So its time for a sticky.. So contribute USEFULL info to the thread.. tips, tricks and such.. posts that dont contribute to the topic will be pruned

What I do..

Remove any parts like FRC's and billet caps, etc (optional)
lightly mist greasy or dirty areas with Simple Green
Loosen heavy areas with a soft bristle brush (toothbrush?)
wash painted areas with car shampoo solution
Rinse with hose

NOTE: Just use common sense.. dont spray high pressure on the MAF, Lid, Coils, PCM and other area.. just rinse them.. DO use high pressure to rinse the block and areas where its obvious water wont do an harm.

I would also (on my engine) pour a gallon or tow of distilled water over the whole deal.. this help with spots on my chromed and polished parts.. but thats just me

Regular guy finish off: Towel dry.. run engine and they towel dry again.. detail to your heart desire...

Advanced finish off: 200mph leaf blower! .. blow that sucker dry and save a lot of time with the towel.. then use compressed air to get all the nooks and crannies dry.. towel off the last drops and detail..

Keep in mind that the engines are designed to be pretty water proof.. we do not have the problems with the Opti that the LT1's had.. just use common sense and remember that even if your not into show, a clean engine is just easier to work on..
Old 04-09-2004, 05:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Be careful around the bottom of the intake the knock sensors have been known to rust
Old 04-09-2004, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't rinse a hot engine down with cold water. Let it cool down before you begin. After cleaning take it for a drive/blow dry and then touch up any drips, etc.
Old 04-09-2004, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Please don't make me post how Simple Green is corrosive to aluminum. *Again* That and water corroded my knock sensors. DON'T USE IT!!
Old 04-10-2004, 12:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

minivette please do post. I must have missed that thread.
Old 04-10-2004, 01:42 AM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

FAQ from Simple Green's website.

Aluminum - Is it safe to use Simple Green on aluminum?
Simple Green products have been successfully and safely used on aircraft, automotive, industrial and consumer aluminum items for over 20 years. However, caution and common sense must be used: Aluminum is a soft metal that easily corrodes with unprotected exposure to water. The aqueous-base and alkalinity of Simple Green or Crystal Simple Green can accelerate the corrosion process. Therefore, contact times of All-Purpose Simple Green and Crystal Simple Green with unprotected or unpainted aluminum surfaces should be kept as brief as the job will allow - never for more than 10 minutes. Large cleaning jobs should be conducted in smaller-area stages to achieve lower contact time. Rinsing after cleaning should always be extremely thorough - paying special attention to flush out cracks and crevices to remove all Simple Green/Crystal Simple Green residues. Unfinished, uncoated or unpainted aluminum cleaned with Simple Green products should receive some sort of protectant after cleaning to prevent oxidation.
Old 04-10-2004, 01:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If all else fails, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS AND WARNINGS!
Old 04-10-2004, 02:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Brandon, do a search but MadIceV8 pretty much covered it.
Old 04-11-2004, 01:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

madicev8, thanks

minivette, i'll definatly do that.
Old 04-11-2004, 10:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So the keys to using Simple Green are:

1. Rinse off quickly
2. Rinse off THROUGHLY!!
3. To be safe you could start with a diluted mixture..

Simple Green (or any other degreaser) is mostly for grimy or oily areas.. if you keep you engine bay clean you could probley get buy cleaning with car soap or even a product like Dawn.

Sound fair?
Old 04-12-2004, 12:38 AM
TECH Veteran

Exactly Steve, if you continuously let your car get dirty to the point where you have to use degreaser, you either need to get some leaks fixed, or give the car to someone who cares!
Old 04-12-2004, 12:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

SSG well stated, I can't handle mine not looking good.
Still need to get all the dressnig off the plastics in the bay from the dealership. (I know i've had it nearly 3 weeks.... )
Old 04-13-2004, 05:56 AM
TECH Veteran

I've cleaned a couple of my friends' engine bays, because I simply could not look at it without wanting to hit them!
Old 04-14-2004, 08:58 AM
Launching!

I just did mine, the posted suggestions are right on, been using those methods for years, except I like Gunk foam engine cleaner, it has never cause any problems for me and the engine bay sparkles. Best tool: 200mph leaf blower! Works on interiors too.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SSG--Z28
I've cleaned a couple of my friends' engine bays, because I simply could not look at it without wanting to hit them!
Wow... will you be my friend?

Thanks for the tips Steve and Co.

This may be a bit specific for this thread, but it is closely related... Does anybody have any tips for cleaning the painted surfaces on a white car, or is it simply soap and water along with some claybar?
Old 04-24-2004, 08:43 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I saw one individual at a car show using a can of compressed air to blow out the tight spots in his engine bay....especially where the filter base assembly bolts to the car. Those four bolts are sunk in far enough that it's a challenge to clean them. If the compressed air isn't available, then you can also roll up a dampened paper towel and get the gunk out of those bolt holes too.

I also took an old spray bottle and filled it with water. It allows me to spray in specific areas without getting a bunch of other stuff wet. It works great at a car show when you notice a dirty spot that didn't show up at home.
Old 04-27-2004, 05:05 AM
TECH Addict

to protect from water getting to the knock sensors should the car be faced down hill or something?, also.. will the gunk discolor any of the plastics?
Old 04-27-2004, 08:31 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Assassin
to protect from water getting to the knock sensors should the car be faced down hill or something?, also.. will the gunk discolor any of the plastics?
No, it does not discolor anything, although I avoid spraying any cleaner of any kind on parts that are accessible and can be cleaned with a rag.
Old 05-13-2004, 01:35 AM
12 Second Club

Uhhh I'm gonna have to call horseshit on that. The Gunk Engine Brite cleaner definetly started eating my Whisper lid. Massive discoloration. Didn't see any damage on other plastics though, and it was also corrosive enough to make my 70,000 mile oxidized heads shine like new .
Old 05-23-2004, 06:10 AM
Teching In

Location: Fort Mill South Carolina/Charlotte...home of NASCAR

Is there a way to somewhat "brighten" the dulled and oxidized aluminum parts when cleaning your engine bay?

Quick Reply: The Proper Cleaning of the LSx engine bay..