Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Someone Has Used Stock Shifter w/an A3

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Someone Has Used Stock Shifter w/an A3

I am trying to do the TH400 swap and I desparately want to use the stock shifter. Anyone, Someone Please tell me that u did it. Here is your chance to be a hero. Post any info u have.
Old 05-04-2004, 06:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know Todd (Reckless) has done it.... PM him.
Kyle
Old 05-04-2004, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Yep...pretty easy. Mike Brown showed me how. This only works with a reverse valve body. Just need a Dremel and a welder.

- With the shifter out of the car, use the Dremel to grind the metal part of the gate so there is no stop between first and second gear. This will allow shifting from 1st ("D") to 2nd ("3") without using the button on the handle.
- Cut out a stiff piece of sheet metal about 1"x1"....move the shifter to the 3rd gear position ("2")...tack weld the piece of metal to the shifter housing so that the gear selector can't move any further back than 3rd gear.
- Confirm movement and final stop location, and then add a few extra welds for strength.

You should be able to shift from 1st to 2nd without the button, and from 2nd to 3rd using the button. The shifter should stop at 3rd firmly and no be ably to pull all the way back to the 4th position (what would be 1). Works like a champ. Mike even went so far as to have a graphics guy make a new sticker which displays the gears correctly as:

P
R
N

Old 05-04-2004, 10:32 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Reckless
Yep...pretty easy. Mike Brown showed me how. This only works with a reverse valve body. Just need a Dremel and a welder.

- With the shifter out of the car, use the Dremel to grind the metal part of the gate so there is no stop between first and second gear. This will allow shifting from 1st ("D") to 2nd ("3") without using the button on the handle.
- Cut out a stiff piece of sheet metal about 1"x1"....move the shifter to the 3rd gear position ("2")...tack weld the piece of metal to the shifter housing so that the gear selector can't move any further back than 3rd gear.
- Confirm movement and final stop location, and then add a few extra welds for strength.

You should be able to shift from 1st to 2nd without the button, and from 2nd to 3rd using the button. The shifter should stop at 3rd firmly and no be ably to pull all the way back to the 4th position (what would be 1). Works like a champ. Mike even went so far as to have a graphics guy make a new sticker which displays the gears correctly as:

P
R
N

Can this be done without a reverse valve body so it reads

P
R
N

??? Thanks.
Old 05-05-2004, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator

I suppose it could? I'd have to look at the factory gates. But since they are set up that way already, you could prolly just make a stop for the last position since it won't exist for the 3-speed.
Old 05-05-2004, 10:36 PM
TECH Regular

I suppose it could? I'd have to look at the factory gates. But since they are set up that way already, you could prolly just make a stop for the last position since it won't exist for the 3-speed.
That's what I was thinking, guess I will have to cross that bridge when I get there, I hope I can make the shifter button work as the over-drive button for the GVOD.

...long ways away that is though, I'm sure someone will do it before me
Old 05-06-2004, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator

The gear vendors comes with a brain, or you can operate it manually with a switch. It comes with a floor mount switch that is just like the old light dimmer switches. I would not use the button on the shifter. Everything in there is plastic anyway, so it would take some work to pull it off.
Old 05-06-2004, 04:34 PM
TECH Regular

The gear vendors comes with a brain, or you can operate it manually with a switch. It comes with a floor mount switch that is just like the old light dimmer switches. I would not use the button on the shifter. Everything in there is plastic anyway, so it would take some work to pull it off.
Yeah, I think I'm gonna go with the brain but I thought I might try to get the switch there.

I wonder if you can get a transbrake switch to go there?

I just realized you coming to DFW, might be cool to meet you sometime.
Old 05-06-2004, 10:02 PM
Super Moderator

I will be managing the new HPE shop when it opens there (formerly MMT) out in Royse City. Stop by!

Be careful where you put that t-brake switch. Keep it somewhere out of the way where it can't be bumped driving down the road. If you bump it, your tranny will effectively lock up while you are driving. Could be dangerous
Old 05-07-2004, 09:45 AM
TECH Regular

I will be managing the new HPE shop when it opens there (formerly MMT) out in Royse City. Stop by!

Be careful where you put that t-brake switch. Keep it somewhere out of the way where it can't be bumped driving down the road. If you bump it, your tranny will effectively lock up while you are driving. Could be dangerous
Yeah I was thinking of that. I want to make it as stock looking as possible, maybe some-sort of safety switch can be put in to prevent the solenoid from being engaged, like a hidden cut-off switch.

I know where the shop is, never been their though but I know some of the crew.
Old 05-10-2004, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator

I used to run a toggle switch in-line to provide power to mine. That way it only saw 12V when I gave it the switch at the track. That could be hidden out of the way somewhere.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Will this also work with a th350? i know it works on a th400 cause I did it on my car, wondering about th350 w/stock shifter...
Old 01-02-2012, 10:20 AM
9 Second Club

I'm planning on saving a few bucks for now and doing this. can anyone tell me if you use the stock shifter cable as well?

thanks and good to see the search feature works yet!
Old 01-02-2012, 11:43 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes I used stock cable and it works great.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:56 AM
9 Second Club

**** yea that's what i wanted to hear! saves me $400 for now on the shifter i want. thanks for the reply!
Old 01-05-2012, 10:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CamaroSS_2002
Yeah I was thinking of that. I want to make it as stock looking as possible, maybe some-sort of safety switch can be put in to prevent the solenoid from being engaged, like a hidden cut-off switch.

I know where the shop is, never been their though but I know some of the crew.
I will be using this after I seen it in another guys car. His T-Brake was on Acc-1.. you could always double switch it as well using Acc-2

Old 02-04-2012, 01:19 AM
Launching!

I am doing this also. Just for any others that might want to attempt this should read carefully what Reckless wrote. I didnt and almost screwed up the process. I made the first mistake of trying to grind it with a head porting bit and went to far back. Then I realized I need to use the button to get into 3rd "what an idiot" so that's about the time I just quite. All screw ups were the result of alcohol. I'm going do it right tomorrow and try and post pics up for reference.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:34 AM
9 Second Club

hahaha sounds good man! look forward to seeing that.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:55 PM
9 Second Club

For anyone searching about using the stock cable, i didn't specifically ask if the stock mounting bracket that gets bolted to the trans can be used as well......it cannot. through many pages of searching, i found out you can use the stock shifter and cable but you need to make your own bracket to hold the cable in place.

just thought i'd throw that out there to save someone else some time.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:49 AM
9 Second Club

Was deleting old bookmarks today and saw this. thought i'd just toss up the only pic i have of the modified stock bracket that's been working great.

Quick Reply: Someone Has Used Stock Shifter w/an A3