Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supercar sounds out of the LS1

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2004, 10:32 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supercar sounds out of the LS1

I was wondering If anyone has achieved a very supercar sound out of their LS1 motors. When I do my exhaust system this will be the type of sound im going for. Its going to be a dual exhaust system, im not sure how wide to do the pipes or what mufflers to be using. Has anyone out their got a real tight sound that they love? What setup did you use to aquire this?
Old 09-15-2004, 10:35 AM
Launching!

try this site www.ls1sounds.com. I like the true duals with the sweet thunder chambered muffler personally.
Old 09-15-2004, 11:43 AM
z98
TECH Fanatic

Depends on what you mean by supercar.

To me, the solid lifter 69 ZL1 sounds like a supercar.

To you, that might mean a lambo or something.

I have a straight through magnaflow muffler with a single tip and it sounds very refined with no burbleing, I guess because there are no high/low pressure areas for air to push back and forth against itself, but I'm no expert.

But yeah, go to LS1sounds.com, find something close to what you want, listen to lots of different cars, etc.

Oh, and tell us EXACTLY what you want, "supercar sound" is too subjective.

Also, this is in the wrong forum.
Old 09-15-2004, 11:47 AM
Teching In

Sorry, I did not define supercar. I meant Lambo, Ferrari, McLaren. I would love a car that sounded like that, without the price tag. I think the LS1 is an absolutly phenomenal engine, one of the best made. I finally decided, If you cant beat em, join em. The LS1 is scheduled to go in my BMW over winter, but I am trying to do as much research as possible before hand, so all the parts are ready to go. Which forum should I be on for this type of question? This seems like it would have been the best from my quick glance, but I am a newbie to this forum. The sound Im going for is a non burble sound. Just a nice smooth, high pitched screetch almost. But not a ricer screetch. A powerful note.
Old 09-15-2004, 11:55 AM
On The Tree

Well man, you are buying a big honkin V8, derived from half a decade of Small Block Chevy engines. Making it sound like a McLaren V12 and the like is going to be real tough. I'll tell you though, when I first bought my SS, it did have a smooth sound, and when you get into the throttle it had a weird note, something I never did like, but you might! I'm sure the stock Camaro/Firebird muffler would give you the best sound. This was a single exhaust, however. The only problem is I think you are going into uncharted territory, because the words "non-burble, smooth, and high pitched" never go into the same sentence describing dual exhaust systems for the LS1.

The new GTO has dual exhaust from the factory, quiet dual exhaust, but it's still got that deep V8 sound.

Good luck! A LS1 in a BMW is going to be interesting, it will surely haul!

Last edited by Cricket99SS; 09-15-2004 at 12:04 PM.
Old 09-15-2004, 11:55 AM
z98
TECH Fanatic

Looking at your username, I was hoping that was what you were doing!

This would probably go in the external section, one of the mods will probably move it if they see it.

Also, have you checked out the conversion/hybrids section of the board? They might be able to help you with this, although I'm not sure how many people have done this particular swap.

Duals will be loud, no getting around that. They will probably have a "musclecar" sound to them.

Just go to LS1sounds.com and listen to lots of different setups. I know you can't exactly bolt a dual/dual setup on a BMW, but it will give you some place to start.
Old 09-15-2004, 11:58 AM
Launching!

Cricket is right it will be difficult to get that sound most LS1's sound meaner than exotic super car.
Old 09-15-2004, 12:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know if they have it on the LS1sounds.com or not, but you might want to go to corsa's sight and listen to their stuff, I think the vette sounds the best, it definetely has some scream to it, more high pitched, I am doing a conversion soon into a old triumph and am looking for a similar note. definetely worth a try at corsaperf.com
good luck, let me know if you find anything.
Old 09-15-2004, 12:17 PM
11 Second Club

'69 ZL1
Old 09-15-2004, 12:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Here's a video of me spinning the car to about 7100rpms in 4th gear during a race with a Supra.....I think the high rpm runs + an X pipe make for a semi exotic sound. I plan on bumping the rev limiter to 7400rpms soon so hopefully it'll sound even better.

http://members.***.net/mverbin/funny...%20vid%201.wmv

Old 09-15-2004, 12:19 PM
11 Second Club

I have seen a 318 getting an LS1 on the internet.
Old 09-15-2004, 12:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm not sure if anyone has ever asked this question before. it's an interesting one. I don't really know if the LS1 is going to give you the sound you are looking for. I have noticed that the New 350Z have a very exotic sound. It's hard to get past the fact that the LS1 is an American pushrod V8 and just has that rumble to it. Corsa's have a very mellow sound until you get into it. You might want to examine that exhaust system closely. Ultimately since this ins't going into an F or Y body you really only need the right muffler and your welder can do the rest.

If all else fails just put a quite muffler on their and get a Blower or Turbo. Then you'll definitely have the supercar sound.

Mike
Old 09-15-2004, 12:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Duals using an X pipe with Corsas will get you close
Old 09-15-2004, 01:04 PM
TECH Addict

You could always get custom straight-cut gears for an M6 car.

They have large hollow coffee-can sized chambered exausts out there that sound nice. Let me dig up a link.
Old 09-15-2004, 01:06 PM
TECH Addict

I think this sounds fairly exotic for a 5.3L truck.

http://www.pvmufflers.com/
Old 09-15-2004, 01:49 PM
TECH Regular

true exotic v12 comes @ 100 000.00 + , thats how ya get that sound.track level F1 = a thing of audio sensation. a good long tube,mufflex y -high flow catted,corsa cat back is a very nice quiet till go sound
Old 09-15-2004, 02:11 PM
Teching In

Wow thanks for all the feedback! I have a really good custom exhaust builder that has worked on some exotics before, we will sit down a couple times and discuss all the options. When it finally is finished I will let you all know the final choices, and some sound bits for you. It is going to be really hard to get the refined "supercar" sound out of the engine, but anything is possible I think. It wont be exact of couse, but I think it can sound pretty damn good. In the end I might have to cut some HP from the system maybe 10hp or so for constriction to make the sound right, but in the end, its worth it in a way to me. The extra HP would be nice, but the perfect sound (for me) coming from my car is worth it.
Old 09-15-2004, 02:25 PM
On The Tree

Go here http://www.corsaperf.com/flashc5-titanium.htm

I think that sounds kind of like a supercar. When it gets into high rpms it screams
Old 09-15-2004, 02:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wasnt there a way to get a similar sound by crossing header pipes under neath the car? Like taking 2 from one side and 2 from the other and crossing them into their opposite collectors? Might be more work than what you are looking for, but i think i remember reading something about someone doing that. Has to do with the firing order, i believe.
Old 09-15-2004, 03:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

My buddies Z06 has an exotic car sound...he has LG Long tubes, x, with no cats and stock titanium mufflers. Ive never heard another LS1 like it. Ripping by it sounds like a Lambo. Very tight. Try a stock Z06 muffler and no cats for your sound.

Another buddy got Corsa pace car cat back...that has a tight sound too. Ive heard other Corsas and the pace car sounds way more exotic.

Quick Reply: Supercar sounds out of the LS1