Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

STS and Procharged owners, Reliability ??

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2004, 09:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default STS and Procharged owners, Reliability ??

FI Newb here
How reliable are these set ups running say 4-6 lbs. of boost on a stock motor?

Can running these on a daily basis be done safely and reliably? I wouldn't run more boost than that unless I built the lower half. Let me know how many miles you have on your setups and what they are.

Thanks
Old 10-01-2004, 10:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well the pro charger has been good so far, I will let you know how my sts kit is in a few weeks.
Old 10-01-2004, 10:18 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I put the procharger on my vette 2 months ago and ran 3000 miles so far without touching anything.Run's like a stock car till you mash the peddle.Also it is running 10lbs of boost on the stock motor
Old 10-01-2004, 12:35 PM
TECH Addict

Is it conceivable that if you put on a D1SC that your car may last (say 50,000 miles) if you go with a safe tune, 42lb injectors, and a walbro 255?

I know the rear is in trouble, but isn't that subject to the driver's tendancy to get on it?

Is the Tranny really a ticking time bomb or could it last a few years?

Is the bottom end destined for defeat even if you go with a safe tune, and don't go over board?

I would really like to do FI in the next year or 2, but not being able to control the longevity of my car worries me a little.

Sorry for all the "what if" questions, but it seems when I read all the posts here people are always upgrading their parts because they broke something, which is usually followed by "because I upped the boost" or something along those lines

Thanks in advance
Sorry to hi-jack your thread No Juice, but I think we pretty much have the same questions, and it never seems to be fully answered by the search button
Old 10-04-2004, 12:46 PM
On The Tree

Also very interested in the basic questions from above post. Have a 2001 z 6 speed with 52000 with basic bolt ons and 12 bolt. I will also have the walbro 255 and the injectors. Is it possible for the bottom end to last another 60-70k with a safe tune? Will i make more power at 6-7psi then a 224/224 cam and a set of heads? Is the gas mileage better supercharged if driven conservatively?
Old 10-04-2004, 03:23 PM
Teching In

Default 2000 ss with sts

I have had my sts turbo on for about 8 months now with no real problems. I run 5lbs with a switch to go to 10 but have never used it. I live in las vegas and due to the heat and detination have had to pull l lot of timing out. I have also had to put hose clamps on some of the lines coming of the headers. I ran at the track and put up almost 2 sec's faster quarter times than before the sts. Now that it is getting colder My car is getting faster and i will be able to put timming back in, Oh yea and i have 410 gears which slowed my quarter times down need to change to 342's. With different gears and cool air 125mph should be no problem. As far as price I paid 4000 area installed. I had to change the spark plugs for different gap and different injectors and now a better fuel pump. any questions feel free to ask. And if you want you can add alky or intercooler, so there kit can be added to cheaply.
Rick and Dave up at sts turbo are great will answer all questions no matter how dumb you think your questions are. good luck
Old 10-04-2004, 05:57 PM
Launching!

My 2000 Chevy truck has the STS Turbo kit on it. It runs great and I have 118,000 miles on it. Still runs like it did the day I bought it. It drives just as smooth as can be until you stomp it. Then its a monster.

Kevin Lucas

www.gracemotorsports.com
Old 10-04-2004, 06:27 PM
Tenured Member

Ran the STS system since our LT1 was a prototype for a year with no problems. Now decided on rebuild time for more boost

Quick Reply: STS and Procharged owners, Reliability ??