Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

STS Turbo questions/comments

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2004, 08:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STS Turbo questions/comments

Hey fellas,

I know this subject has been asked a lot, but the search really did not help me that much.

My question is on the STS Turbo kit.

I really, really like the idea. So much that since I heard about it a few weeks ago, it's the only thing I can really think about to give me that extra edge.

I have a 1995 T/A with the A4. It has stock internals. The only modifications I have done are: Moroso CAI, 160* T-stat, and an aftermarket muffler system.

I am looking for more power, but don't want to lose the driveability that I enjoy.

Would the 5psi be safe on my engine? It has 92k on it now, but is running in awesome shape.

Also, is a transmission upgrade pretty much mandatory with this power adder? How about the real axle (I know that it all depends on how you keep that lead foot..lol)

I live in south Florida, and it is considerably rainy. The filter location worries me because I drive this car DAILY all around town. Would water mess me up really bad?

Also- I brought up the idea to a few friends, so claimed "car guys". They flamed the idea and said that the turbo would be too hot, and fry the back end of your car. Please bring some justice to this.

Another thing, how long will these last. I'm not looking for a quick fix, I'd like maybe 1-2 years out of this set-up.

If anybody could answer these questions, it would put my mind at ease. And maybe a STS kit will be on the way. I love the power of my T/A, but would like the added power....I love the sound of a turbo spoolin'....

Thanks,
KenNy

Last edited by KennyD; 10-02-2004 at 08:18 PM.
Old 10-02-2004, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

First, your "car guy" friends are not "informed" about this system. I have had this system on for 7 months with no issues. A turbo will get hot, but mounted in the rear, it doesnt get as hot. On average, it runs 500 degrees cooler in the rear. Being cooler means water splashing on the turbo is not an issue also.
If it rains, it is normally not an issue. If there is excessive water, you may need to get some kind of shield. With the K&N filter charger, it does a great job of beading the water. I went of a 260 mile trip and it rained hard 3 times. I had no issues.
With a good tune, there is no reason you would have any problems at 5psi.
Your driveability will be just like stock. So far, I dont have any issue with my clutch or rear end. Obviously, it is harder on it though.
Old 10-02-2004, 08:44 PM
Teching In

I've had the STS turbo since July and works very well. If you're looking at low
400 RWHP at 5 PSI its the way to go. Water can be a problem. I've had a couple instances where it was raining buckets and I hit some deep water and some got sucked through the filter. I'm going to fab up a stainless deflector and that should cure it. But all in all if you don't want an all out race car and retain drivability and not have to cut or re-locate anything it is definitely the way to go.

Armin
Old 10-03-2004, 12:00 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by trtturbo
First, your "car guy" friends are not "informed" about this system. I have had this system on for 7 months with no issues. A turbo will get hot, but mounted in the rear, it doesnt get as hot. On average, it runs 500 degrees cooler in the rear. Being cooler means water splashing on the turbo is not an issue also.
If it rains, it is normally not an issue. If there is excessive water, you may need to get some kind of shield. With the K&N filter charger, it does a great job of beading the water. I went of a 260 mile trip and it rained hard 3 times. I had no issues.
With a good tune, there is no reason you would have any problems at 5psi.
Your driveability will be just like stock. So far, I dont have any issue with my clutch or rear end. Obviously, it is harder on it though.
Yeah it angered me that these guys who THINK they know, but don't even own the product, are telling me what works and what doesn't.

I am relieved to hear that water isn't a big concern. I'm sure if I fabricated something to keep all that lovely Florida rain water out, I would be ok.

With all these 4 banger's with turbos, I figured I'd show them what real turbo-power from a real engine will do. No offense to anybody, but I just can't get a feeling from a 1.6l or whatever engine.

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it, and when I get me enough $$, I'll be ordering one. May take a few months though, 3,500 isn't spare change.
Old 10-03-2004, 03:11 PM
...with cheese.

I've heard of people fabbing shields for the filter which would keep what little water out of the filter that might get into it. A turbo will run a lot cooler sitting under the back of a car with air constantly blowing on it then it will in an engine bay right by some headers... If the rear of my car melts off I'll eat crow... but I don't think I'll be doing any of that any time soon.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:06 AM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

I live in south Florida, and it is considerably rainy. The filter location worries me because I drive this car DAILY all around town. Would water mess me up really bad?
On a daily basis, there is no issue. On really really bad days, you just have to be careful of puddles. I've soaked the filter twice here in Orlando (once during a tropical storm and once during one of those freakish thunderstorms that drops like 12 inches in 45 minutes and then quits raining...) but I didn't submerge the filter, so it just went really really really rich....
Old 10-04-2004, 11:20 AM
TECH Regular

I have to comment on the water issue...when we got hit with that crazy storm from the hurricane in PA and got 7-8in of water where i live...i had to drive my car in it and it was perfectly fine. I think you seriously have to submerge that filter in order for it to do any harm. Drove the car about 22miles in POORING down rain. And i wasnt going 25mph either...i was going the speed limit which is 45-55. Couple of times i ha to slow down because i started to hydro but other then that looking good
Old 10-04-2004, 11:45 AM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

FL afternoon thunderstorms (bad ones) can drop more rain than that in 30 minutes and out efficient drainage means there might be puddles that are 10+ inches deep. Those are the ones to watch for.
Old 10-04-2004, 06:35 PM
Tenured Member

KennyD,
Both our project cars were tester protos for both LT1 and LS1 STS kits. The LT1 has had the system for a year now, but now decided on rebuild for more boost. If you are intereted in taking a look/ride in our LS1 check our site out and give a call. I was also thinking of a shield for the filter, but been through all kinds of rain/hurricanes down here and no problems.

Lucas
Old 10-17-2004, 09:45 PM
12 Second Club

Does anyone have pics of the shields that they made for the turbo? Also live in FL and will have a STS kit ASAP. Please send me pics and pm thanks

Thanks jesse!
Old 10-17-2004, 11:33 PM
On The Tree

Just wonderin.... What kind of times are yall seeing with the sts kit, and at what boost?..
Thanks
Bryan
Old 10-18-2004, 01:36 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by 98Z28MrO
Just wonderin.... What kind of times are yall seeing with the sts kit, and at what boost?..
Thanks
Bryan

Not many people have taken them to the track yet. I think one or 2 guys have but they seem like they are either young and weird or internet challenged so their posts didn't make much sense and there wasn't any good info

So far it's manily trucks with 1/4mile times. Although if everything goes right at least 1 STS equipt F-body will be hitting the track this Sat. He is running 8-10psi with a FMIC and meth injction.
Old 10-18-2004, 11:39 AM
Banned

Kenny, I've had the STS on my 01 Z28 for about 3 weeks now, during which we've had about 14 days of rain. So far, the system has performed flawlessly. My car is also high mileage (90K miles) and the 5 lbs of boost seems to be fine. I'm planning to go to the track this Wednesday if the weather holds out....

Angie

Quick Reply: STS Turbo questions/comments