Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing Gasket from block....there must be a better way.

Old 11-06-2004, 11:02 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Gasket from block....there must be a better way.

Yes I have searched.....
I am trying the WD-40 & "extra soft" scotch pad method and it is not really going anywhere. Anybody got anything ?? I am going with Cometics so I want the block perfect...or close.
I do not know what a regular scotch bright pad is (I'm sure my wife does) but how the hell are you guys scraping up your block with them.....granted the one I am using is a blue "soft" one but is the regular pad that much rougher ? Is there anything that can break up this gasket ?
This sucks it.
Old 11-06-2004, 11:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the Green Scotch-Brite pads. They have them at Kroger, Walmart, K-Mart, Autozone, Advance Auto Parts, Home Depot, Lowes, etc.
Old 11-06-2004, 11:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Man, I am getting a lot of mileage out of this pick....

I used WD40 and the green Scotch Brite pad.... The WD40 softened the old gasket and I was able to use the pad to remove the rest with out leaning on it too hard.... I removed the residue with hot water and a clean towel....

20 minutes each side....

Old 11-06-2004, 11:19 AM
On The Tree

i build motors everyday and the best way i have found is too use some stuff called gasket remover...you can get it at napa and it comes in like a spray paint can. then use a scraper to remove the nastiness and then take a purple scotch pad and go over it with that. never use a sis wheel on decks.
Old 11-06-2004, 11:21 AM
TECH Regular

10-4 man. The green ones I know what those are....I was going through the threads and a couple of guys said they were concerned that they f-ed up there block by being too rough on it with those. How in the hell is that possible ??
Imma go try and carefully work the ice scraper. I have too much gasket here to mess around with a razor. Then Imma get me one of those fancy green pads !

Goddammit MSU just got scored on again.
Old 11-06-2004, 11:25 AM
TECH Regular

"i build motors everyday and the best way i have found is too use some stuff called gasket remover" Hehe....classic.

Side-Step I recognize that pic ! Thing of Beauty.
Old 11-07-2004, 03:32 PM
TECH Junkie

I started with a sheet rock compound spreader to get the majority of the gaskets off, then I used Simple Green and 3 Green Scotch Brite's. Took about an hour.

Sounds like the gasket remover and a little elbow grease would work better.
Old 11-08-2004, 05:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

I just use a bronze gasket scraper and then go over it with a razorblade. I just go easy withthe razor blade and it comes out perfect every time. about an hour gets the whole thing.
Old 11-08-2004, 07:11 PM
TECH Regular

3m makes a green plastic wheel that goes on your diegrinder in place of the scotchbrite pads on it. it is about a half inch thick and has a bunch of plastic nipples on it. its used for removing gaskets and its what we use at the dealership. i'm pretty sureu can get it at a autoparts store.
Old 11-09-2004, 12:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by fast98
3m makes a green plastic wheel that goes on your diegrinder in place of the scotchbrite pads on it. it is about a half inch thick and has a bunch of plastic nipples on it. its used for removing gaskets and its what we use at the dealership. i'm pretty sureu can get it at a autoparts store.
BEWARE: The green is for iron and, it will eat away at the aluminum decks. I would not recomend using a grinder on the deck of a block anyway. But if you insist the yellow is for aluminum.
Old 11-09-2004, 01:50 PM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Green sponge pads with the tougher scuff side and some brake cleaner. Works very well.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:49 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TD's z
BEWARE: The green is for iron and, it will eat away at the aluminum decks. I would not recomend using a grinder on the deck of a block anyway. But if you insist the yellow is for aluminum.

nice catch i fogot to mention theres different colors for different materials

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Removing Gasket from block....there must be a better way.