Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

GTO Side Window defrosters

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2004, 11:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GTO Side Window defrosters

Anyone have trouble with the side window defroster? I have the Defrost set on HIGH fan speed & get no air blowing on the side windows at the mirrors.
Old 11-10-2004, 07:26 PM
Teching In

Default Any Air from the side window defrosters?

Does anyone get air out of the side window defrosters on the GTO? I put the defrost on HIGH speed fan & get hardly any if any air out of them. I took the GTO to the dealer & they said their was no problem it is jus tlike the other GTOs. So I just wondered if anybody is getting air out of those things are not.
Old 11-11-2004, 09:32 AM
Teching In

None comes out of mine either.
Old 11-11-2004, 01:09 PM
TECH Resident

Hardly any air comes out of mine either. I noticed a huge difference clearing the side windows off if I hit the A/C button when I turn the defroster on.
Old 11-12-2004, 06:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Haven't noticed any fogging of the side windows - but I suppose I usually have the driver window at least cracked.
The manual recommends, as with most cars, having the AC on w/ the defroster. It really doesn't seem to work on the GTO without it.
Dan
Old 11-12-2004, 07:21 AM
Teching In

on any car, teh a/c must be on for defrost to work properly. a/c does more than just cool air, it also removes moisture. blowing moist humid air onto already fogged up windows wont help. Also, on f-bodies, a/c defualts to on when you select defrost.
Old 11-13-2004, 11:53 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Questor
Anyone have trouble with the side window defroster? I have the Defrost set on HIGH fan speed & get no air blowing on the side windows at the mirrors.
I had the same problem. I had to change the setting from defrost to vent to defrost the side windows.
Old 11-24-2004, 05:05 PM
Teching In

Default Contact Pontiac

I contacted Pontiac about this issue after taking the car to the dealer to find "the side window defroster is working as designed".

I had an email response & talked directly to the Pontiac customer service rep. She indicated that they have no other owner complaints about the defrosters not working and when the dealer investigated the issue all the other cars worked in the same manner. She also said the only way GM will take care of the issue is if more complaints have been filed.

I can not accept the fact that a window vent installed on a car is not supppose to output air in the defrost mode. I've checked mine a couple of times, and when the defrost is engaged air is blowing out the side of the dash toward the connection point on the door (when the door is closed). But the air does not come out the door mounted vent. I think that leads to either a design or manufacturing flaw. Either way, I think it should be fixed.

Having the AC on or off does not change the amount of air coming out of the vents. So that is not an issue with this problem. The defroster system may work better with the AC engaged, that I do not know.

If everyone can join and raise the same complaint to Pontiac, care of

Bree McArthur
Customer Relationship Manager
Pontiac Customer Assistance Center
cac@pontiac.com
866-952-4368 ext. 58954 between the hours of 6 a.m. until 2 p.m. EST. Monday through Friday.

then maybe GM will fix the error.
Old 11-25-2004, 06:01 PM
Banned

This is how you de frost side windows

AC on-mode control on face vents- speed on HI-warm or cool both are just as effective.

Position the face vents towards the side windows, should de fog within a minute.

You need the defrost for the windsheild but doesn't provide enough airflow to the side windows.

Fraser

Quick Reply: GTO Side Window defrosters