Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Efficiency of the OBX FMIC?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 11:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Efficiency of the OBX FMIC?

That question came up while talking to a friend of mine... vs other FMICs how does it rate? I know it works well, from what we've all seen, and I know the old saying goes.. "Ya get what ya pay for".

Either way Im still getting one but was curious about this.... cause it seems the next in line FMICs are at least double, if not tripple, the price of the OBX. Is there ANY advantage to the more expensive ones?
Old 12-15-2004, 03:35 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Keep in mind that the retail price of the OBX is actually $599. Cost was $275-$300. Someone got the bright idea to sell them on eBay instead of to dealers only and that's wherre the price precident came from.
Old 12-15-2004, 04:28 PM
12 Second Club

Ahhhh... makes sense.
Old 01-20-2005, 02:58 PM
TECH Resident

Hey, Avengeance...

Did you get the OBX? If so, what tips do you have on the install?

Thanks,

Rich
Old 01-20-2005, 04:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if your interested in a full bolt in solution for the obx give the sponser Synergy Motorsports a call. They now have a bolt in solution for either the STS or ATI.

510-Synergy
Old 01-20-2005, 04:17 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Who is OBX did a search for a website but nothing.
Ricky
Old 01-21-2005, 01:48 AM
Launching!

One of the many things bad about the OBX stuff is they paint there cores. I've seen and built many FMIC and OBX is the worst stuff out there. To hide there blemishes, they paint there cores silver. If anyone looks at there cores closely, you can see what I'm saying. Maybe they changed there ways recently, but I doubt it. My IC source bought 20 or so OBX IC and now can't sell them because of how crappy they are. I think he also mentioned poor performance but I can't confirm that, he just threw me a bunch of numbers that went in one ear and out the other He pulled an OBX off the the shelf and showed me the paint. Now I know why OBX is so cheap, hehe
Old 01-21-2005, 01:52 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Paint or not the OBX FMIC dropped my IATs from low 200s to low low 100s on the same PSI with only a 10deg diff. in ambient temp.

Cruising IATs went from 120deg to only 10-15deg or so above ambient. IE in 78deg weatrher my IATs were 120deg. In 65deg weather my IATs were 80deg, sitting still idling.
Old 01-21-2005, 01:59 AM
12 Second Club

^ I personally witnessed the results in F8Ls OBX FMIC.. was there to lend a hand when it was installed. The results are REAL with the OBX.. plain and simple it works well. It is honestly a true bargain for what results you get.

LT1-7... I understand your position, especially since youre trying to promote a more expensive alternative to the OBX FMIC, very nice one at that, I did see the pics... not a slam but just an observation.
Old 01-21-2005, 03:51 AM
On The Tree

Of course the OBX is great compared to nothing. That's not saying much. Dynoing OBX vs. Spearco shows just what a joke OBX is. In back to back dynos, nothing else changed we've gained 10% power across the board going to a big bar+plate spearco.
Old 01-21-2005, 04:17 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Z1500
Of course the OBX is great compared to nothing. That's not saying much. Dynoing OBX vs. Spearco shows just what a joke OBX is. In back to back dynos, nothing else changed we've gained 10% power across the board going to a big bar+plate spearco.
Exactly, any intercooler is going to do its job. How efficient it does it is another story. Just compare the fins on an OBX core to a griffin, spearco, apexi, bell. You can just see how much more efficient the higher dollar cores are. Hell, just the fact that OBX is made in China should be a big giveaway.

Don't know if there are any real back to back testing on the OBX cores but if there isn't, we'd be happy to test one of those out next time we're on the dyno.
Old 01-21-2005, 04:26 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Avengeance
LT1-7... I understand your position, especially since youre trying to promote a more expensive alternative to the OBX FMIC, very nice one at that, I did see the pics... not a slam but just an observation.
Please don't think I'm bashing on the OBX stuff just because I don't sell them. Fact is my supplier offered to sell me his OBX stuff for less than half the price of what I'm paying for high quality cores. So I had my chance to sell OBX but gladly passed it up.

So if anyone wants OBX stuff, we'll sell them (probably cheaper than you'll ever find). But this is a product we'll never stand behind
Old 01-21-2005, 05:06 AM
Turbo Addict

From the results, it looks like it cools really well.... I am just wondering about the pressure drop across it for 600rwhp+ set-ups.... I think the redline car is using the same intercooler and it made good power.
Old 01-21-2005, 06:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LT1-7
Exactly, any intercooler is going to do its job. How efficient it does it is another story. Just compare the fins on an OBX core to a griffin, spearco, apexi, bell. You can just see how much more efficient the higher dollar cores are. Hell, just the fact that OBX is made in China should be a big giveaway.
Don't know if there are any real back to back testing on the OBX cores but if there isn't, we'd be happy to test one of those out next time we're on the dyno.
all us what to know what the results of yours is maybe you could even compare it to the obx if you have them

or you could send me a free sample and i will compare it heads up to my griffin
Old 01-21-2005, 06:33 AM
single digit dreamer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

were these 2 units similur core size?
Old 01-21-2005, 07:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

10% difference between OBX & Spearco in performance, But the OBX is 25% the cost so what you are saying is that you get more for your money with OBX??

Maybe I didnt understand your post correctly??
Old 01-21-2005, 10:04 AM
TECH Addict

local guy to me is making 670rwhp with the OBX.

so I think it's good enough if your on a budget, looks like phamspeed may have a nice midrange product, and if your made of money you go spearco or griffen or some other big name.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:34 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

All the STS guys with OBX intercoolers better be prepared for a whole lotta hate!

I don't think back to back pulls on a dyno are anywhere near as good to real world testing. Airflow on the dyno can't compare to the street. For the STS guys this is probably one of the best solutions. Not having an intercooler really stinks.

I live in las vegas, an intercooler is mandatory on any boosted car.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:47 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Anybody.

Ricky

Originally Posted by NXRICKY
Who is OBX did a search for a website but nothing.
Ricky
Old 01-21-2005, 10:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Ebay is your freind
http://search.ebay.com/obx_W0QQfkrZ1QQfromZR8

Quick Reply: Efficiency of the OBX FMIC?