Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

O2 placement on LTs

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2004, 03:31 AM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default O2 placement on LTs

I'm doing a LS1 swap into a thirdgen. Basically , I'm going to have to fab up some longtubes for the swap. I plan on buying Hooker LTs for a thirdgen, buying LS1 flanges from GMPP , cutting the Hooker flanges off , repositioning the tubes to fit the LS1 flanges and welding bungs in for the front O2s ( I'm deleting the back 2 with HP Tuners). My question is where to put the O2 bungs? Is the collector too far down? On the stock manifolds this would be halfway down one tube and I don't think getting a reading off one cylinder is a very good idea. What do you think? The engine is a '99 if that makes any difference.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,424 Likes on 898 Posts

Mounting the O2 sensors in the collectors should be fine since they are heated.

Andrew
Old 12-22-2004, 02:09 PM
Deranged Rat Fink

Great! I'll get started on that after Christmas.
Old 12-22-2004, 04:43 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are some guys having problems with the stock F-Body front O2's not reading right after an install of LT's. Reason is that the exhaust gases get cooler the further down the system they go, thus not heating the O2's properly to read right, in a LT O2 sensor placement versus stock placement. I've heard the best thing to do is get some Vette rear O2's to replace the F-body ones and the problems go away. I know they are not cheap, but it will get rid of some tuning gremlins that you might run into.

Take some pics of the LT's if you can, I'd like to see how they turn out. Good luck.
Old 12-23-2004, 03:18 AM
Deranged Rat Fink

If I do encounter probs , I'll do just that. I'm not too worried about money on this project.
Old 12-31-2004, 01:00 PM
Launching!

badjuju342 so you are going the Hooker route?
What did the hawk gang say about the LT they have?
I guess they had the Lts on their setup done on a costum order and they are waiting for a bigger market ....like all ls1 stuff you can do lots of money if you wait till people are thirsty enough....LOL!
There are a bunch of guys with 3rd gen swaps , should be someday be a market!
Funny how both of us ***** around on infos for a better swap...LOL!
Well keep in mind when you hack up the hookers that the ls1 is way lower in the enginebay!!!!!!!
We had the same idea cause we did 3 sets for members way back then for 1gen small blocks with our coil over / kmember swap>>> the hookers would scrap on the floor so we did our on stuff!
The position of the O2 bung was already a topic on here and from reading the position is still a topic !Some say the getto fab wires are not correct , some say get the header coated, some say they had problems with cheap O2 s and so on!
Well look into the GM flange and start from scratch...problem is that we do not have any adapters for a powerglide or 350th cause the prices for a hipo 4l60e are out of sight....at the time!
Old 01-04-2005, 05:39 AM
Launching!

http://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/show...01#post2141401

LT Hooker longtubes done!
Old 01-04-2005, 12:44 PM
Deranged Rat Fink

That particular thread was what I'm doing. I talked to Bruce at Hawk's but the LTs he will be selling are still quite a way off in the horizon before they are available. I have a T56 to go in my car. I figure that if you're gonna go to the trouble to do this swap , might as well put the transmission in that you want ,too.I've got the LS1 flanges on the way and I'll be picking up the Hooker LTs later this week.
Old 03-22-2005, 12:15 PM
9 Second Club

Any updates on this?? I'm performing a H/C LS1 & T56 swap into my GTA and I really need some 1.75" primary/3" collector full length headers for it. Are yours done yet? Would you be willing to make a set for me? Let me know.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: O2 placement on LTs