Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another way to prime oil pump/system?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Default Another way to prime oil pump/system?

I was wondering if their is any type of oil pressure sending unit or kind of oil galley I could gain access to to shoot some oil into the motor?
I dont really want to turn it over dry to prime the pump with the coils off and fuel pump fuse taken out.
Old 01-04-2005, 08:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not familiar with the path thru the oiling system, but I'd almost think oil could be pumped thru the oil pressure sensor. It's the highest point in the system, but unfortunately it's not accessible without taking the intake manifold off.
Old 01-04-2005, 09:31 PM
TECH Addict

I use a pressure tank to prime the system. I have a fitting that threads into the oil pressure sending unit threads. Just fill the tank with 80psi air pressure, and rotate the motor until oil flows from all the pushrods.
Old 01-04-2005, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

I would definately try that but dont feel like taking off the intake. I have worked on the car so much doing the swap, I dont want to do anything extra. Im sick of it.

So...you guys think it would be ok to just turn the car over 2 or 3 times for a couple seconds with the coils off and fuel pump fuse removed?

I think it will be fine...but my grandpa is old fashioned and set in his ways...he doesnt think it will be good for the car...I am trying to humor him by doing this.
Old 01-04-2005, 09:51 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by UltraZLS1
I would definately try that but dont feel like taking off the intake. I have worked on the car so much doing the swap, I dont want to do anything extra. Im sick of it.

So...you guys think it would be ok to just turn the car over 2 or 3 times for a couple seconds with the coils off and fuel pump fuse removed?

I think it will be fine...but my grandpa is old fashioned and set in his ways...he doesnt think it will be good for the car...I am trying to humor him by doing this.
I would also leave the spark plugs out. But yes, you will be fine.
Old 01-04-2005, 09:52 PM
FormerVendor

Just fire it up and make sure you have oil pressure right away
Old 01-04-2005, 11:32 PM
TECH Regular

yeh just leave the fuel pump fuse out crank it over for at least 10 seconds which is what I did and you'll be fine.
Old 01-05-2005, 01:03 AM
Launching!

All you need to do is just unplug the coil packs..I Think theres only 2 plugs(1 on each side), you'll seem em...big white ones. Crank the motor 3-4 times and your good to go. We did this when I fired up the 408 for the 1st time.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:26 AM
TECH Addict

If you just pull the coil wires & turn it over, you are still pumping fuel into each cylinder, and risk washing out a cylinder. The rings might never seal up right & burn oil.

Best to pull the fuel pump fuse, as mentioned, and the coil, then turn over with key, until oil comes out the pushrods. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Another way to prime oil pump/system?