Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tech Tips for header and exhaust install

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 02:57 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tech Tips for header and exhaust install

Here are just some problems i ran into i did not see other posts with info about. Maybe ill save some people some trouble.

1)Pacesetter Lt's installed on a 2002 trans am-Your Air Pipes on both sides are not going to fit back down flat on the gasket and on the header. Stretching the rubber hose will not help. Be prepared with block off plates because you might have to disable your AIR.

2)It is advised to not put new spark plugs if you have them in until after your new headers are on because you dont want to risk maybe getting a hairline crack or damaging the plug in anyway. The only one I would put in before the headers if i had to do the proj again is the pass side 3rd back because on some headers the egr part that runs off the header is in the way making it very annoying to get that particular plug in..(it might of been just for me though)

3)When trying to get in and out of those small places to get bolts off just dont get frusterated and try every single position and place possible...there will always be a sweet spot where you can get a ratchet or tool in there from the top or bottom.

4)For trans ams in particular have a deep well and normal 10mm, and 11mm socket ready along with the 10mm and 11mm wrenchs to. Certain Bolts will take different tools its just trial and error for some of them. Also have anti sieze type stuff, a spark plug socket 15mm i believe, a rubber hammer for getting the exhaust in place, ratchets of all sizes and extensions to get the bolts on them..this helps for getting into tight spots, a bright *** flashlight and allllllot of patients.

5)When trying to break tight bolts loose you need leverage. Make sure though you do not focus all your strenght on the very end of the ratchet because thats how your going to strip bolts. I held the actualy ratchet socket down and had my hand more in the middle of the ratcher when i did it just to make sure it didnt like slip and strip a bolt. This is just personal preference because i slipped a few times and cut my hand up and almost stripped the bolt.

6)If at all possible have a buddy help you with getting the first few header bolts on and in place so they stay up and also with getting the exhaust on. If your doing the exhaust part alone though i would reccomend while putting the exhaust on the headers you rest the center part of the exhaust on a stool and some wood blocks so it will stay up there until you get it secured on the headers and put the hangers up.

7)For pacestter installation with lanes true duals on a trans am it feels like the
exhaust wont go on the headers. The trick is get the driver side on about 1/4 inch and then push on the exhaust and pull on the headers in order to slide the pass side exhaust tube on the header.

8)READ THE POST IN THIS FORUM ABOUT GETTING THE STOCK EXHAUST OFF BY GOING THREW THE REAR PASS SIDE WHEEL...IT WORKS AWESOME AND DIDNT TAKE LONG AT ALL.

9)read up on the fuel line flip install document because you might need to do that.

remember just do alot of searching on here and you will find alot of instructions for stuff and guides to help you threw everything..
www.ls1howto.com www.installuniversity.com

GOOD LUCK hope i could help some people out
Old 04-10-2005, 08:20 AM
TECH Junkie

good info. and FWIW, Lanes TD's feel like they dont want to go on hooker headers either. lol
Old 04-10-2005, 12:31 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

nice job
Old 04-10-2005, 05:07 PM
On The Tree

ya i seriously had to use all of my strength to get the pass side header connected to the exhaust but it def can be done so anyone new reading this dont feel like its impossible
Old 04-10-2005, 05:11 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i'll add it to the exhaust guide.
Old 04-10-2005, 05:17 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i like to use a jack to support the header from the bottom while i'm wobbling it into place, you can adjust the height easily, plus roll it all around

and for the 20,000th time, a 1/4" drive air ratchet will fit anywhere (every single header-engine bolt) with enough attatchments and 1/4" drive sockets
Old 04-10-2005, 05:21 PM
That's what she said...

hey you sent me an instant message the other day kevin, did i respond to you? i never put my away message on, and i never look over at AOhelL to see if anybody has sent me an IM. were you going to ask me about header install?

i get a load of IM's every day asking me about this kinda stuff for some reason lol
Old 04-10-2005, 08:52 PM
9 Second Club

Good job Kevin!
Old 04-11-2005, 12:33 AM
On The Tree

man i wish i could have seen that air ratchet post like 2 days ago haha and ya blur i im'd you i had a quick question on something with spark plugs but i figured it out thank you though