Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Tim's Valve Spring Tool Now Available

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 09:52 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tim's Valve Spring Tool Now Available $30 shipped

[Administrators: NINEBALL has approved this post]

Valve Spring Compressor Tool - Only $30 Shipped anywhere in the USA.

In 2001, when installing springs on my Son's new 2002 TA, I designed a tool that would reach the back springs where space is too limited for any other tool available at that time. Since it was designed for Tim's car, I have decided to call it Tim's Tool. We have decided to make them and offer the tool at a reasonable price to forum members. This is a very easy to use, QUALITY TOOL and will work on LS1, LS2, LS3, LS6, LS7, and L92 Trans Am, Firebird, Camaro, Corvette, GTO and 4.8, 5.3, 5.7, and 6.0 or 6.2 Liter GMC and Chevy Truck Engines. The tool can also can also be used on heads that are off the engine. Just bolt the head to the bench or buy a large C clamp from Lowes or Home Depot etc. Included is the Tool, Slotted head Stud, 2 washers, Nut, and an instruction sheet. This tool will work with both single or dual spring applications. The tool will be shipped USPS Priorty 3 Day Mail. If you have any questions please feel free to email Tim at Ramair69gto@sbcglobal.net

A tool for LT1 engines is also available. Please specify LSx or LT1 when ordering.

Either Tool is $30 Shipped to your door step anywhere in the US. (Canadian orders add $14 for priority mail)

A complete kit is also available which includes a cylinder air fill adapter, hose, and quick connect as well as the tool for $60 shipped.

PayPal is accepted and your tool will ship the day after payment by PayPal is received. If you want to pay by check or money order, just email for the mailing address and It will be shipped the day after your money order is received. If paying by check, then it will ship when check clears.

There are always plenty in stock for fast shipping.

Both email and PayPal name is Ramair69gto@sbcglobal.net

Last edited by gto69judge; 04-09-2017 at 12:13 AM.
Old 05-06-2005, 11:22 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, undercutting Larry with approval.
Old 05-07-2005, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I was gonna say, hmmm I bought a tool just like that a few years ago, except it was from a guy named Larry

Dope
Old 05-08-2005, 08:07 AM
Launching!

gto69judge was the originator of the tool, so yeah
Old 05-08-2005, 10:43 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

please do not turn this thread into a pissing match, or nobody will be allowed to sell them.
Old 05-17-2005, 08:02 PM
Launching!

Default High Quality Tool

This is the original HIGH QUALITY tool, with heat treated nut,washers, and stud - not to be confused with some of the knock-offs of inferior quality.

Last edited by gto69judge; 01-07-2007 at 02:32 PM.
Old 05-19-2005, 10:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

What is needed for this tool to work on the LT1 head?
Bigger hole for the stud, what else?
Old 05-19-2005, 10:27 AM
Launching!

Default LT1 Tool

Originally Posted by Shon Herron
Tim does offer a slightly longer version of the tool specifically made for the LT1 engine but the LS1 Tool will work if the hole is enlarged. The price of the LT1 version is the same, $35 shipped, just specify which tool you want.

Either tool will also work on most older GM, Ford, and Mopar heads as well. Just use a 3/8 or 1/2 drive socket of proper length as a spacer between the end of the tool and the rocker cover rail.

Last edited by gto69judge; 11-17-2009 at 12:23 AM.
Old 05-31-2005, 03:01 PM
Launching!

Default Paypal Address

I just received another PM requesting Tim's PayPal address.

It is the same as Tim's email address. Ramair69GTO@sbcglobal.net
Thanks for the order.

Last edited by gto69judge; 11-01-2005 at 08:02 PM.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Used this tool this weekend on an LT1 set up. I modified it some and see where more modifications could be made to help it on the LT1 head.

We had another spring compressor that would not hold the spring/retainer compressed enough to get the locks on so this was a life saver!!

One question I have is could it be made out of something more durable? It is slightly bent now after doing 16 single valvesprings. It could be the difference between the heads but heard the same thing from an LS1 spring changer too.
I think the thickness is pretty good but material needs to be stronger I think.

Last edited by Shon Herron; 06-09-2005 at 10:00 AM.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:40 AM
Launching!

Used this tool this weekend on an LT1 set up. I modified it some and see where more modifications could be made to help it on the LT1 head.
Shon, please pm me with any suggestion you have for any way I can improve the tool for LT1 applications.

One question I have is could it be made out of something more durable? It is slightly bent now after doing 16 single valvesprings. It could be the difference between the heads but heard the same thing from an LS1 spring changer too.
I think the thickness is pretty good but material needs to be stronger I think.
You must have forgotten to tap the retainers as described in the instructions before using the tool. That releases the keepers and prevents unnecessary stress on the stud and tool. The tool material was chosen very carefully to not bend under normal use, but I want it to bend when too much pressure is placed on it such as if you continue to compress past coil bind. I chose this specific material to prevent damage to the threads or the rocker pedestal. I have installed the stiffest triple springs without bending the tool. The tool can simply be turned over if you ever manage to bend it.

Last edited by gto69judge; 03-21-2007 at 06:56 PM.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So this bolt will not break while compressing the spring ?
We all heard some stories of head bolts breaking while using the "larry tool"

I just wanna make sure that it's 100% safe before I use it on my heads.....

Thanks
Adam
Old 06-09-2005, 07:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by AdamSS
So this bolt will not break while compressing the spring ?
We all heard some stories of head bolts breaking while using the "larry tool"
I just wanna make sure that it's 100% safe before I use it on my heads.....
Thanks Adam
I have never heard of such a problem with Tim's Tool. This tool doesn't apply any pressure to the head bolts at all. All of the tension is applied to the heat treated stud that is supplied with the tool. I cant think of any possible way to break head bolts with this tool.
Old 06-15-2005, 02:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have never heard of such a problem with Tim's Tool. This tool doesn't apply any pressure to the head bolts at all. All of the tension is applied to the heat treated stud that is supplied with the tool. I cant think of any possible way to break head bolts with this tool
That's not what I meant. Tension from the metal plate is applied to the stud, which is threaded into the head. There is a known history of those "studs" breaking in the heads.

Such case is also mentioned in JmX's ls1howto website:
"The stamped steel "crowbar" shaped spring compressor available from AutoZone/Napa, and is what I show in this document, however it has a history of breaking bolts off in the head! Use this tool at your own risk!"

Now, you specified that "tim's stud' has been heat treated. Are you 100% certan that it will not break while compressing ?
Old 06-15-2005, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think the difference is the angle. that old school tool was meant for a 3/8" or 7/16" stud and the LSx's are much thinner and that tool uses more of an angle to compress the spring. The other tools mention are more centered on the stud to be used and then goes down from there.
I dont see how anyone uses that old school think on these new cars....
I could have this all wrong though....
Old 06-15-2005, 02:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So you would not recommend using this method for two reasons:
1) Thinner stud on LS1
2) Angle, which contributes to the bolt breaking

Right ?
Old 06-15-2005, 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

that is mine, I hope others will chime in before you make a final decision.
I used this tool and really liked it, the old school and the overhead cam tools from HB and AZ or the like would not work on my springs, but this one did.
Old 06-15-2005, 07:40 PM
Launching!

Default My Spring Compressor Tool

Adam, I see where you have a concern here. Look real careful at the picture that you supplied and you will notice that my tool is over three times the thickness of the Napa, ect tool. Also look real close as you will see that they used the stock rocker arm bolt which as I also found out the hard way is a big NO NO.

To answer your question about being 100% sure about the studs that I purchase to be heat treated, YES YES and YES. I too had the same concern about bolts breaking so I went way out of my way talking to many suppliers to make sure I indeed was buying heat treated studs.

I will 100% assure you Adam that you will not bend or break any portion of my tool and once you use it you will be glad you got it. I have sold several of these tool and not one person had any problems with it on an LS1 application. I also have done many cam/spring swaps for people and have used the exact same tool over and over on both single and double springs applications with no problems I am sure GTO69Judge will jump in here as well and assure you that is a great tool and you have nothing to worry about with my tool.

Hopes this helps your out some. If you want to talk about this more I am more then willing to talk to you over the phone if you would like, just PM me and we will take it off line.

Thanks,
Tim
Old 06-15-2005, 09:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That's cool Tim !
I'm satisfied with your response.

Thanks for your help !
Old 06-15-2005, 09:34 PM
10 Second Club

Guys, I've used a tool that larry sold that is very similiar and it has worked FLAWLESS for over 20 spring installs on the same stud. I just rotate the nuts and they get trashed over time. This is THE TOOL to buy for spring swaps! Best of luck with the tool guys!

John

Quick Reply: Tim's Valve Spring Tool Now Available