Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Hydrolocked STS?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 01:00 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy Hydrolocked STS?

Well guys the rain fell like a mutherfalker yesterday Of course my daily driver was being driven during this massive rain storm. So I was driving as normal with the (filter sock on) and the car started to hesitate when I would give it some gas. Felt like a miss fire! Finally the car stalled out. So I pulled over and waited for the rain to calm down and the streets to drain off. Then I started the car up again and putted (literally) home. Now today when I went to start up the car it threw these engine codes = P0102, P0158, P0172, P0175. I started to drive the car to my g/f house when 1/2 mile from my house when accelerateing lightly it started to jerk again. So I turned around and went back home. When I was in the driveway I tried to clear it out by giving it little revs. It sounds and runs ok (idles fine) until about 3000rpms then starts to "putt". After letting it idle for a while I tried to drive it again and it juss feels like a miss on more than one cylinder So I will pulled the plugs and see if they are a problem. If you have any help please suggest something.

Thanks (hopefully not the 1st hydrolocked STS?)
Old 06-06-2005, 01:09 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm sorry to hear that... Yeah, Florida's been getting its *** kicked...
Old 06-06-2005, 01:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

no theres water in the piping thats all. I did the same thing. I took the piping off and drained out the water and cleaned the maf. I also put a drain plug in my intercooler so it wouldnt happen again. Although I ran mine without the sock and deserved it. I never had issue with the sock on...then again I didnt boost it in the rain.
Old 06-06-2005, 01:15 PM
12 Second Club

No boost in the rain either. Just LOTS of rain!
Old 06-06-2005, 01:33 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,298 Posts

live in FL too....its been sucking...either rain all day or rain in the morning and then 90 in the afternoon
Old 06-06-2005, 01:34 PM
Teching In

Clean your MAF too maybe? It doesn't sound like you have hydro lock.
Brady at STS told me yesterday that the dry charger socks need to be recoated with Scotchgaurd or some type of a water repellant once a year. The drycharger when new will hold water like a plastic bag but after a salty winter the water will run right through it. You can test it by taking it off and seeing if it will hold water like it’s supposed to. Just go out and buy a can of scotch gaurd for $5 and recoat it.
Old 06-06-2005, 01:48 PM
12 Second Club

Good idea I will pick that up today and clean the MAF. I was going to change the plugs but guess what IT IS F'ING RAINING!
Old 06-06-2005, 04:31 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

MAF is the problem. I had this problem on a road trip, sock on but was raining like a ****. New sock might I add and no boost. Luckily I had HP tuners with me. I pulled to the side of the road, forced it to speed density and it ran fine. It had to be a minimal amount of water but it didn't take much to screw the maf readings up. Had to drive another couple hundred miles and stay out of boost. Now I run the speed density software and don't have to worry about it. I'm also going to build a splash guard as the 315's sling water right on the filter which can't help.
Old 06-06-2005, 04:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Drop a line to F8L Z71 ( Justin ). He "locked" up his first STS truck in a major downpour but was at full boost when it happened. He also had to drain out the water from the intake tubing. Compression and leakdown test showed the damage.
I can't remember all the symptoms but he sure will....
Old 06-06-2005, 05:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes, when the water hits the maf it freaks out.
just get everything dried out.

a friend had his alky system drip while driving normal and the drop would hit the maf and the car would buck like a *****.

just get everything dried out and you will be fine.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

if it was hydrolocked you wouldnt be able to even start it.

you prolly injested some water through the maf and it passed through the motor.
Old 06-06-2005, 09:20 PM
12 Second Club

Well that sounds like good news I guess! So in the morning I will take out the MAF dry it out with a blowdryer maybe? and see if there is any more water. See if that fixes the problem before I pull the damn plugs! Thanks again guys!
Old 06-06-2005, 10:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Did you figure what the codes were for? Just curious.
Old 06-07-2005, 07:49 AM
On The Tree

my car always does that in the rain never stalls out though i tend to always be in boost even in the rain but under normal driving conditions it runs ok
Old 06-07-2005, 11:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I haven't had a problem in the rain either, I'm not far from you musicmaker. In all fairness, I try not to drive the car when it's raining, but I did get caught last week. But I wonder if the intercooler would help by catching water before it gets to the MAF?? Have you had a chance to fix it yet?? I think it's gonna start raining again soon!! Welcome to the tropics.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:55 AM
12 Second Club

FIXED THE KNOWLEDGE of LS1TECH STRIKES AGAIN!!!! I took the pipe to the MAF off this morn and it looked like someone just poured water on it! It was dripping wet so I took it off set it in front of the clothes dryer and took 90% of the pipes off and dryed them out. The only problem was the pipe right before the MAF where it has a coupler then the smaller pipe it was filled with water!! It was like a moat around the pipe. I cleaned the pipes up and the car runs GREAT now!!

THANKS AGAIN GUYS
Old 06-07-2005, 12:08 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

It stalled suring the rain most likely cause the sock was wet -- probably went super rich. Reset the codes and make sure the sock / filter are dry, and dry out the MAF and you'll be fine.

I had the same deal (except no stalling and it cleared up after I clear the codes and the sock dried) last summer near hurricane time.
Old 06-07-2005, 12:24 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Yup, gotta be careful with rain

I lost compression and closed the gap on a wrist pin which lead me to a motor rebuild. I had tested compression a week before the water suckage and I was at 180-186 across the board. Then a couple days after the water problem I tested it again and 2 cylinders were at 140 and 163 while the rest were still at 180+. The motor knocked like a sun of a gun too and it eventually got so bad I was skerd to drive it anymore. Funny thing was I ran it with the lost compression and the knocking and still got the times in my sig.

Like they say in the army "Just try to keep your socks dry". Don't boost in the rain if you can help it either.

Don't do lik eme and boost 13psi in a monsoon with no sock to try and prove a point. LOL
Old 06-07-2005, 11:51 PM
Launching!

I moved mine off my flooded street, it stalled, I pushed it up a drive to higher ground, and from there it will not start, it clicks like its engaging but it wont turn over. Any diagnostic help?
Old 06-07-2005, 11:59 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mike s.
I moved mine off my flooded street, it stalled, I pushed it up a drive to higher ground, and from there it will not start, it clicks like its engaging but it wont turn over. Any diagnostic help?

that is hydro lock!!

pull the plugs, unhook the coils and injectors. turn it over for a little bit and pump that water out. cross your fingers but you probably screwed something up

look in the intake piping too and drain it out if there any water sitting in there.

Quick Reply: Hydrolocked STS?