Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*fix for leaking slicks*

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 04:36 AM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default *fix for leaking slicks*

I got tired of my slicks loosing air. I have 28x10.5x15 ET drags mounted and screwed on convo pro's. They would leak around the bead at the screws and weight's. I got a bottle of that green tire slime. with the tire empty and the bead loose of the rim but still screwed I pushed the tip of the slime bottle inbetween the tire and the rim at the bead and gave it a little squirt. I repeated this all the way around on both sides. I did not squirt it into the tire cavity just on the bead, used maybe 1/4 the bottle on both slicks. It makes a little mess when you air the tire up it pushes some out but it worked like a champ the tires have sat for 5 days with 14# in them with no pressure loss. Used to be I had to add air every couple hours
Old 06-15-2005, 10:44 AM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good tip. Lots of guys also use liquid dish soap and rub it around on the inside of the tire to prevent air leaking thru the tire itself.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Put in some $9 intertubes from your local autoparts store. I have been racing them for years in drag slicks and as long as you do not go under 14 or 15 lbs of air, they work just fine. As a matter of fact, the only tube that I ever pinched was a Goodyear drag tube with 12 psi and a 1.44 60' time. Oh, and you can still bolt your tires to the rim.

Quick Reply: *fix for leaking slicks*