Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Oil in the downpipe, turbo freaks I need your help

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2005, 09:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oil in the downpipe, turbo freaks I need your help

I pulled my DP today because my car has been smoking like an ol ford since about 2-3 days ago. Funny thing is I put about 100mi on this turbo with no smoke....then it started smoking on the way home from work and got worse and worse.

I replaced the oil drain hose with another one, NO LUCK. I replaced that hose with a hose, check valve combo...EVEN MORE SMOKE AND NO LUCK.

NOW I fashioned a hardline from thin wall steel tubing and two pieces of silicone at the ends(for flex). This line is definately going down hill into the pan. I have the car on four ramps so everything I see is level. IT STILL IS PUKING OIL INTO THE DP!!!!!!! I even went as far to remove the DP and "S" pipe and cleaned em out with TB cleaner to remove the residule oil...car didn't smoke for about 7 minutes, then here it came oil smoke out the tail pipes.

I took that off, replaced it with clear plastic tubing from home depot racer supply, you can see the oil go right into the pan but once the clear line fills with oil its hard to see whats going on, but its going into the pan.

Can the turbo be bad? Maybe a seal took a **** and its gushing oil out the exhaust housing into the DP?

I have 5.5 quarts of oil in it.
My oil pan fitting is pointing straight ahead, maybe I should clock it so its facing upwards a little?

My airfilter is clean and is as new as the turbo...
PLEAZE HELP!!!! I WANT TO TAKE THIS THING TO THE TRACK!!!! and dyno

On a side note, I was able to weld in my WBO2 sensor bung since I had the exhaust off

J
Old 06-19-2005, 09:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where is your pan tapped?
Old 06-19-2005, 09:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

On the pan J/K its up high about 1 inch above the low oil sender.
Kp thinks I cracked a seal in the turbo. I'd have to agree since this lil issue just popped up a few days ago and not from the beginning.
J
Old 06-19-2005, 10:01 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah that is what I was going to say, that it sounds like a seal in your turbo is bad.

That really sucks, you just got that turbo, already time for some repair.

Just doesnt end for you does it
ed
Old 06-19-2005, 10:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Nope doesn't end for me at all, if it isn't one thing its another. Pham put the voodoo on my kit
100mi's on it and I'm a turbo killer. This turbo bit the dust before my lowly powerdyne...crappy.
J
Old 06-19-2005, 10:05 PM
chronic masturbator

could the cause for the bad turbo seal be oil pooling in the turbo? Is your drain in between the ribbed part of the pan? I might want to start looking in to a spacer for the turbo to get it up higher just in case.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

I think the drain is between the ribs, can't remember now, its above oil level.
A cracked seal from what KP told me is from shutting down the car down right away. But i've been awesome about letting her idle for a minute while I save my log file, shut the laptop down and then shut it down.

Ive never shut it down right away after WOT blasts, I am sure to let the car idle for an about 2-3 minutes after some WOT blasts.
J
Old 06-19-2005, 10:32 PM
TECH Addict

will the turbo fit in there if you put a spacer on it?
Old 06-19-2005, 10:50 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It could have just been bad from the start, never know. Maybe Jose will chime in tomorrow, its been a long time since I was into turbos and mine were always mounted plenty high so I never had a drain issue. A lot of blowby (positive crankcase pressure) will make it leak as well.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Ed, the turbo will fit with a spacer, but I think its with the turbo not with the drain back.

kp, might be. I was running a dual breather set up, but with the alternator mounted over the where my pass. side valvecover breather use to be I had to go back to just the oil cap on the valve cover.

About blow by, what causes blow by...this engine is relatively new. Pistons and rings are from diamond. I'd say it has just under 10000mi on it.
J
Old 06-20-2005, 04:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

T T T please...Anymore help?
Old 06-20-2005, 05:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Smoke the same at idle and when you get on it, would assume its much worse when you get on it? Since it just started, probably cooked a dynamic seal in the turbo. If you did cook a seal you need to figure out why or it will happen again. First thing that comes to mind is your pressure/volume from the feed line is too high. If you have a ported oil pump you can supply to much pressure/volume to the turbo and cause the oil to push through the seals. This will mess them up quickly. Hard to say unless you know the quantity of oil required and your oil pressure. A lot of times you need a restrictor in the line, but of course to much of a resrictor will also destroy the turbo as well.

Gary
Old 06-20-2005, 09:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Hoping its a seal in the turbo. I do have a ported high volume pump on it. It smokes a lot worse when I get on it, puffs at idle. As for a restrictor, we were thinking of that, but what to go with is the kicker. I now know my oil drain back line is bullet proof and i'm getting good flow back to the pan. When I ran the clear drain line, it was amazing to see the line fill entirely with oil so quickly. I thought it would be a steady stream that took maybe half the line. After about 5 seconds of running it was full from the turbo to the drain...and foamy at the very top of the line. Line size is equal to -10 on all my test lines.

Feed line is a -4an line FWIW. Would stepping down to a -3an feedline "restrict it" some?
J
Old 06-20-2005, 09:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why do you have 5.5 quarts of oil?
if your drain is above the oil level, and the turbo is up high enough that leave the turbo seals to be bad.

id just check the car with 5 quarts like its suppose to get right.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

I use to run 6 qts. I run the longer oil filter and added an extra quart, ive ran the car with 6 qts forever. I'll drop the .5 quart to see what happens, thanks smokin.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:45 PM
9 Second Club

take the check valve out, tthat is a bad idea because they has a crack open pressure required I.E. A pressure requried for it to actually alow oil to flow, that could cause a seal to break in the turbo and leak out as you described.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Hi Tiago, the check valve is in the trash, that was on the car for about 3 minutes and removed due to the smoke show gettting A LOT WORSE. I now have a nice 5/8 hardline/silicone hose combo on there now.

Any rec's on restricting the oil to the turbo....atp has some restrictors..
J
Old 06-20-2005, 09:54 PM
9 Second Club

you can try running a restrictor like ATP has, Ive used a few in my time, but have never HAD to have them
Old 06-20-2005, 09:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well, guess i'll call em up tomorrow and see what they rec for the GT42. Still have to send the turbo out to be rebuilt

Oh well, wanted to have some track time this weekend as well as some dyno time...guess it'll have to wait.
J
Old 06-20-2005, 10:15 PM
TECH Resident

its unlikely that you need to rebuild your turbo. I've been through and not yet completely resolved my oil issues either. But you may be building crank case pressure under boost. How is your PVC setup? Are you boosting into your valve cover ?

Quick Reply: Oil in the downpipe, turbo freaks I need your help