My LS1 V8 Miata Project Pix

Old 06-30-2005, 10:59 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow sick just sick, i want to hear it run
Old 06-30-2005, 11:02 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That thing is going to be nuts!!! I love it!
Old 06-30-2005, 03:03 PM
On The Tree

Default Great Cars!!!

That 35' is really a great "Troller", not that I condone street racing of any kind either, afterall I've got 4 Grandkids.

I've always wanted to build an V8 S-10. I never really was too impressed with the LT-1 motor. I bought a Blazer ZR2 new in 1998 and the idea of LS1in'
my 4 wheel drive didn't really do it for me either but, I always thought it'd be great to build a short wheel base, plain jane S-10 with a LS V8 motor, six speed and a 9" Ford so I could just hammer it.

Drag racing little short wheel based cars, turning the ETs you guys do takes a special kind of SICKNESS!!

Have a great one!!
Old 06-30-2005, 04:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Troller".....I guess it is, went to dinner last night with my 3 year old grandson bolted into his car-seat in the back....loves to ride in Grandpa's hot rod!!
Old 06-30-2005, 08:47 PM
On The Tree

Default Disrespect

That's one of the greatest reasons to do a LS V8 Miata is disrespect. You think the normal Honda and Mitsubishi bonzai meatheads are bad, looking for easy prey, Subaru WRX and Mitsu EVO and S2000 drivers won't even look down their noses at you at a stoplight when you're in a Miata.

The Miata is the Ultimate disrespected "chick" car both on the Track or the Street. In a NASA HPDE4 Track day at Laguna seca, I was the only Miata in a 28 car group, the next slowest car after me was a Camaro SS. Man were they bent when they found out my Miata could acctually handle a competitive pace. It's a dream senario to return LS V8ed up!

I've had a 240Z with a 289 and T-10 and a Porsche 911 Carrera with an all aluminum 327 and I distinctly remember the looks on astonished drivers faces right before I accelerated to Warp Factor 5, PRICELESS !!

No disrespect here Grandpa, your 35 is GREAT!
Old 06-30-2005, 09:30 PM
Launching!

Yes, a miata is a car that is looked upon by others as a chick mobile or a old man's car. I wanted a sleeper and something that no one expected. I wanted something that I could autoX, roadrace, and be a good street car. Yes it will take time to drive this thing and getting it to work. I am glad to see others having similiar ideas and goals as mine. I just went a little further with mine. I still enjoy hearing the oh my god factor.....that thing is going to be insane....part of the reason of building it. Man, I can not wait to get there. Good luck on your build and if you need any ?'s answered or want to share ideas....shoot me an e-mail at BirdofPrey97@yahoo.com I look forward to hearing and seeing how others are going aboutthis conversion. On the miata board it has gotten alittle overboard with the Ford/chevy/Rover-Buick V8 conversions. They are all killer projects and have advantages and disadvantages of each there own......but love projects that are out side the box......An it will be great to mess with everyone. Hey your driving rice......oh yea listen to this.....Vrooom Vroom.....no fart can's here!!!!!!
Old 07-02-2005, 02:32 AM
Launching!

how much heavier is the ls1 compared to the 1.8 that you pulled out?....and how does the balance of the car compare now with the v8?
Old 07-02-2005, 07:53 AM
On The Tree

Default LS1 is lighter

The aluminum LS1 is LIGHTER than the cast iron 1.8 including manifolds and accessories in each combo. The Miata's 50/50 weight balance will be retained.
Old 07-03-2005, 08:33 PM
12 Second Truck Club

ok don't flame me too bad but can you do this to a civic. a honda with torque emagine that.
Old 07-04-2005, 08:59 AM
On The Tree

Default LS Engine / Civic cramming

I've noticed that when you're looking at smaller underhood spaces of transverse mounted front wheel drive cars, guys put inter-coolers under front bumpers and have to gennerally stuff any add-ons into very cramped quarters. I've seen a current popular upgrade to the old, original Mini Cooper cars of installing Jap import, Honda 4 cyclinder motors and they fly.

But the direct answer to your LS1 in there question seems to be the only way I could see it happen would be to start from the ground up remake the Civic into a complete, tube chassis car with rear wheel drive (see the LS V8 Mini-cooper project post) example. Here in Arizona we have guys with 1200 HP, 4 cylinder Civics with Garrett Turbos the size of their engine blocks. The problems they always encounter is grenading trans and twisting axles and cvs.

Anything's possible, no flaming intended.
Old 07-04-2005, 02:00 PM
12 Second Truck Club

yeah i was thinking maybe a front and rear subframe maybe. it would probably be a pita to do but it would be fun to drive.
Old 07-04-2005, 02:54 PM
On The Tree

Default That's how we do it

Yeah the best way to fit an LS V8 in a Miata is too completly replace the K-member with a new chromoly tubular one.

My son-in-law besides being the best LS V8s guy I know is also a Duramax performance upfitter for one of the largest GM dealerships in the Southwest.

His Chevy Duramax trucks are rocketships.

Have a good 4th!!
Old 07-06-2005, 11:54 PM
Launching!

Here a picture of my modded stock miata K-member that will fir the ls1 into the car.
http://www.ls1miata.net/gallery/miata?page=5
http://www.ls1miata.net/gallery/miata?page=6

Look on page 5 at the bottom. It took a few days to cut and weld it up.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:09 AM
On The Tree

Default Inspired

Yeah, even though we've been doin' the tublular k-member development thing, two factors keep us looking back at modifications of the stock k-member and your work and pictures are diffinately a major one. Thanks again for sharing information it really helps everyone in the LS V8 Miata community keep moving forward.

My friend Bill has close to 400 HP at the rear wheels in his 5.0 Monster Miata and he has thrashed it for over 60,000 miles, mainly on roadracing courses with a cut and modified stock k-member and no problems

Bill keeps telling me that I'm over thinking and over designing on this k-member challege and after seeing your efforts, I think you're probably both right!

I've got a complete spare Miata front K-member sub asembly out to the rotors, I'm going out to the shop this morning and getting started on it.

Thanks for the redirection, inspiration.
- Lee
Old 07-07-2005, 11:12 AM
Launching!

No problems Lee:

I will agree with you that a tube style k-member will give you more room and allow you to remove weight off of the front end like the ones for the f-body and mustang. I did not have this option of one getting made at the time. I did alot of the cutting of my k-member last year around july and august. That is when I said if I have to cut and weld this much I may as well put the engine as far back as I could. This is one of the reasons it is taking longer for me to get the car together. I also wanted the radiator in the stock location and the engine fits better under the hood with a small amount of hood webbing removed. I am really against trying to shim that k-member, which has made it harder to fit up the stock exhaust manifolds like Sam's. I also didn't want to go through the wheel wells like Karl. I wante the exhaust tucked up, and not hanging down like the 5.o setup either. Side pipes on this car doesn't cut it for me either.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:39 AM
TECH Regular

hey turbotacoma nice of you to share those pics, its lookin' good man!

Old 07-08-2005, 09:50 PM
Launching!

I finally got my tires and wheels mounted today. I just need to get them balanced. I have the rears on the car to see how they look. I wish I had more meat on them and rim width. But that costs alot more money then I have for special offset rims etc. I also posted a few pics. to show the shifter handle offset.

look on page 6

www.ls1miata.net/gallery
Old 07-11-2005, 10:50 AM
Teching In

what exhaust manifolds/headers are you using on the miata project ?

scot
Old 07-11-2005, 11:13 AM
On The Tree

Default Hey Scot, sent you a PM

We're fabbing the headers ourselves. Jeff sells beautiful headers for alot of applications like the Diablo Headers for Sandrails but I haven't seen anything I liked for my Miata. We're using the GM flanges, 1-5/8" primaries with 4 into 1 X 2-1/2" collectors (may use McCabe's collectors) continued duals running back to a cross-over out through dual Borlas. We may Jet-coat the rest of the exhaust also to help with undercar heat reduction. I will also external heat-shield the exhaust in the immediate area over/around my CVs.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My LS1 V8 Miata Project Pix