Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Just some info on testing with Nitromethane injection

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 03:56 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Just some info on testing with Nitromethane injection

For some people that have asked about it so far, here is what we have documented. We are running a mix of ~98% methanol and ~2% nitro. Just from early testing, no #'s will be posted until final testing is over.

1. The car will not respond to it unless static compression reaches at least 12.5:1. Optimal is around 14:1, which works out fine since their is no need for it at low boost.

So an 8.5 CR motor needs to run about 9-10 psi before optimal complete combustion of nitro is achieved, not that its needed at that boost level anyhow.

2. We have been able to add tons of timing due to nitro being Extremely slow burning. As much as 10 degs more at same boost level, then just meth.

3. The hp #'s over using just meth alone are ~12% over, but the torque #'s jump up quite impressively. As much as 19%. Keep in mind..this is only a ~2% mix.

4. The fuel system has to be setup seriously, when nitro is sprayed the car goes quite lean...as much as from (11.5 off to 13.5 on) even with meth as a counter.

As we get more data I will post it. Thanks to Jeremy( hopefully he will read this) for trying out my insane ideas...lol. More to come....
Old 07-06-2005, 03:59 PM
9 Second Club

more info please

where do you get nitro?
Old 07-06-2005, 04:15 PM
10 Second Club

ok say so I am gonna pour the bottle of nitro from my RC car into my tank right now and see what happens!
Old 07-06-2005, 04:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

NITRO

Crazy F@$Kers, insanity at its best....when a turbo and meth won't do...add nitromethane....
J
Old 07-06-2005, 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Unfortunatly, the nitro for your R/C car will likely not work. It is premixed, correct?

JZ, how are you coming up with your percentages? You are using a hydrometer, right? Definitely expect nitro to build some serious torque, which will bring the horsepower. You are right about the incredibly slow burn, but be careful once you start increasing the load. I have been helping a local blown alcohol altered in their quest for a decent nitro load, and currently have them at about 12%. They are running a significant amount of timing as compared to our fueler ( about 15 degrees more advance), and we are currently trying to get the rest of their tune in line.

One more question, how do the o2 sensors like it, or are you running EGTs instead?
Old 07-06-2005, 05:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Tiago, if you want nitro, all you gotta do is ask. And shell out the $$$$. Right now we are getting it for about $25-30 per gallon.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm confused, is this testing being done on a motor running on methanol only, or from a add on methanol system to a gas burning motor?
I'm guessing this can't possibly be a add on system since 2% nitro in a add on system is practically nothing.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:45 AM
TECH Resident

I was going to call BS a while ago as well, but I was hoping this thread would die a slow death on its own... there is a LOT of misinformation here.

How exactly is this mix being added and what exactly is the flow rate?
Old 07-07-2005, 06:56 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

snow performance sells nitro to mix into your alky tank. You add 8 oz per 2 quarts of alky and supposedly get 30-50 hp with no changes. Jose hope to see the rest of your testing.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:21 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by S_J_H
I'm confused, is this testing being done on a motor running on methanol only, or from a add on methanol system to a gas burning motor?
I'm guessing this can't possibly be a add on system since 2% nitro in a add on system is practically nothing.
going off the air fuel ratio it is being added to a gasoline burning motor.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

i can tell you Jose is not full of ****. I am sure he'll answer all your questions
Old 07-07-2005, 09:39 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

First to be quick here on some of the answers.

Its on a gasoline burning engine. Hydrometer was used (mix by a race shop)..and it was done at ~68 degrees, though specific G is ~60 for nitro. Temps play alot with Nitro. Also this is a Snow kit stage 2.

RC fuels contain little nitro as well, but contain some oils and other additives that will not burning in a standard combustion motor correctly.

Sand, we are using EGT's and AFR. Since the % is fairly low, the EGT's haven't done anything akward. I would like to talk to you more about this. You seem to have more experience with this, and I would like to run some ideas by you before something gets blown up...lol. Also where are you getting your nitro for 30 a gallon, are you buying by large bulk??

call bs, I like when people say something can't be done... . You guys forget, Nitro is some seriously powerful stuff.

JZ
Old 07-07-2005, 10:03 AM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by JZ 97 SS 1500
You guys forget, Nitro is some seriously powerful stuff.

Mini bombs in each cylinder. What is that fueler hits cyl. pressure wise? Something over 30,000 PSI! That's how you make 8k horsepower

Interesting test, but what about us little guys that can afford to shell out for someone to mix with a hydrometer and wouldn't really need the stuff unless it was for a money race
Old 07-07-2005, 10:08 AM
9 Second Club

snows site says 8oz per 2 quarts....sounds easy enuff to me. I should turn down my boost and run some to see if it shows up in mph at the track.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:14 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Cable, yes the nitrobooster from Snow works as well, its a 96% pure blend.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:20 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Yes, you want to run the car on the rich side for sure. When nitro is added into the combustion, the combustion will be leaner. This is the trick. Whats nice is, if your using FAST, BS3 or DFI, you can build a map specifically for nitro spraying, and if the system fails the car will run rich. Of course we are talking nothing extreme. If you are running 30psi and nitro fails, then chances are being rich still won't save you..lol
Old 07-07-2005, 10:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

The reason nitro 'leans' the mixture is because it carries it's own oxygen. Nitromethane is nearly 50% oxygen by weight. I agree that 2% nitro on a auxilary spraying system is very little, and I would personally like to see it closer to 10-15% i the alky tank.

Jose, I would be happy to answer any questions you might have. I have been playing with blown nitro for almost 10 years now, and I'm currenlty putting together an injected nitro front engine dragster to play with on a local circuit.

And yes, we generally purchase 4-5 barrels of nitro at a time, and we generally do this at least twice a year. I don't even want to talk about how much oil we go through.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:35 AM
Restricted User

How would this respond in a Nitrous application? Say CR of 11.5:, add 200-300shot of nitrous, with Meth/Nitro blend as the fueling? Sounds hellacious to me Keep testing Jose!
Old 07-07-2005, 10:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

One word of caution: Keep a close eye on your boost levels and your nitro mix. Nitro has a tendancy to run away, meaning that you can literally take away ignition, and it can continue to run. That means be careful of coming up near the rev-limiter. It can and will continue to climb unless you take away fuel. We don't even run an ignition cutoff on our car, we simply have to shut off the fuel supply to kill the engine.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:38 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by sb427f-car
Mini bombs in each cylinder. What is that fueler hits cyl. pressure wise? Something over 30,000 PSI! That's how you make 8k horsepower

Interesting test, but what about us little guys that can afford to shell out for someone to mix with a hydrometer and wouldn't really need the stuff unless it was for a money race
You don't need a hydrometer to mix nitro....as JZ said-mixing it by specific gravity has it's dis-advantages (temp plays a BIG role in it). The chemists in the lab mix it by volume-there's little error that way, but you would have to check it with a hydrometer at ~60* F to make sure you have the percentage you want. Once you find out how much volume of each you need, it will be within a few tenths from there on.

It looks like Snow has done the homework already.

Quick Reply: Just some info on testing with Nitromethane injection