Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Immediate help needed, air filter placement, on my turbo bird

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 06:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Immediate help needed, air filter placement, on my turbo bird

Well I'm trying to move the air filter from the original place of right in front of in between the radiator and crossover pipe. I've come up with this.

This puts the air filter quite a bit higher above the crossover pipe, and right at the front of the block. The filter sits nicely in the space my a/c compressor use to reside in, but about 1/4 inch away from the frame rail on the passenger side.

I think it'll pick up some cooler air here, but not that much......being that my GT42 turbo has a 5 inch opening makes it tough to route the air filter anywhere. It won't go in the fog light box as my 3.0 inch turbo inlet pipe is already there as well as the crossover pipe. And it can't be routed up to the top of the bay because there is simply no room for the air filter in the available space.

So do you think moving my airfilter to this spot is better than having it infront of the radiator and the crossover pipe????

HELP PLEASE
Old 07-22-2005, 07:09 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the radiator was between the block and the raditator and the fans are blowing the hot water air into the filter, then yes, this placement will help somewhat. Its not ideal but it will work better then the first. Also I see its close to the headers as well, using the top picture as a reference. Maybe the picture is hard to judge distance though.
Old 07-22-2005, 08:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Jer I have a plan for this. I am going to leave the filter where it is, but if you noticed there's little threaded holes in the filter side of the turbo. My plan is to get a sheet of metal of some sort maybe aluminum and kind wrap it around the filter starting at the top and working my way down making it so it picks up cold air( like a scoop of some sort) from the bottom of the car and blocking and heat from the motor. Kinda hard to really tell what I mean but I hope you can picture it.
Old 07-22-2005, 08:12 PM
TECH Resident

Get some mandrel bend aluminum some silicone couplers and move it out of the engine bay to infront of an inner fender or something...
Old 07-22-2005, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes he could do that but theres not much room with his setup and he would even need 5" mandrel bends or a reducer coupling 5" to 4". But like I said theres really not much room I have the same setup. He he moves the battery to the back them maybe you could route the filter there.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

DSM, 5 inches TAKES UP A WHOLE LOT OF SPACE THAT THIS TURBO-LS1 ENGINE BAY DOESN'T PROVIDE damn these LS1 Fbody engine bays.

Hellraiser said it, relocate the battery and *maybe* you can swing it. I bought 1 ft of straight aluminum tube, and two of these 90 deg rubber elbows, I couldn't get the other elbow to the top of the engine bay, it was hitting the radiator shroud that has been hacked up(previous IC set up for my ATI kit) and the tensioner pulley.
Even if it did fit, the filter had absolutely no where to go, as small as this filter is, it has a 5 inch opening on the bottom and is 6.5 inches in diameter at its widest point...no good.

I could have gone all out and ordered reducers, and more aluminum bends, but I wanted to see exactly how much room I had before I threw too much money away on it.

Pat ol buddy, I don't remember seeing any holes, but I don't doubt they are there. I know exactly what you mean, shrouding the airfilter, nice. I saw some nice heat shielding that goes around pipes at home depot racer supply and one was exactly what I needed, but I only brought cash for two 5 inch clamps That would be perfect to put around the top part of the filter. I'll be getting that if this doesn't work too well.

JZ, thanks Jose for taking a look and giving me your opinion, I value that greatly. It was a compromise as I couldn't make it to the fog light box or to the top of the engine...but man that big ol' space was staring right at me and it all fit in there with good clearance all the way around. The header tube is pretty far away from it and the tube itself slants away from the filter. I can get me fist inbetween em...well almost

Lets hope my inlet side of my intercooler cools down some with this lil "fix" I'll know tomorrow on the way home from work.

I'm thinking even though the filter sits under the header somewhat and about 6 inches away from the block...that the airflow will be a lot greater and a lot cooler than right behind the radiator where there was limited, but very hot airflow.

*EDIT*

Here its from the top completed, not a good pic but the best I could take with the sun going down.
J

Last edited by frcefed98; 07-22-2005 at 09:23 PM.
Old 07-22-2005, 10:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

relocate that battery!

lots of options then
Old 07-22-2005, 10:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

meh i'll try it there for awhile, I'll know tomorrow if it worked or not.
I'm tired of relocating stuff....relocating money from the wallet to the parts places mostly I think I'll end up just getting that small dyna batt battery so there will be room for the filter AND the battery.....wiring stuff for a colorblind person sucks so I tend to shy away from relocating elec. stuff.
J
Old 07-22-2005, 10:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

You get you fuel system done yet?
Old 07-22-2005, 10:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

nope, waiting for the next pay check to arrive for that money relocation mod.
Then hopefully its track/dyno time.
Old 07-24-2005, 04:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jer,

Like we were saying...... cut the rad. support brace do the griffin rad. and move the Batt. tot he back and youll have plenty of room. Ill get ya the part # on Mon.
Kyle
Old 07-24-2005, 04:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

So whats the results? car running better/cooler? Better throttle response?
Old 07-24-2005, 04:47 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,298 Posts

maybe theres a reason no ones done this(room, piping,etc) but couldnt you run piping from the Filter inlet off the turbo to where a stock lid would be to get cool air/ram air effect?Someone not too long ago did it and had pics,i think it was either a TT or s/c 'd though.
Old 07-24-2005, 11:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

DD. I think ram air effect would be useless on a FORCED INDUCTION CAR as air is already being force into the engine by the turbo/sc. It doesn't matter if its cold air either as once the air gets to the turbo or supercharger it'll be COMPRESSED, COMPRESSION ADDS A LOT OF HEAT....hence the INTERCOOLER on a FI set up, too cool the COMPRESSED air back down. You can't force anymore air than the FI headunit can suck in on its own anyway. How fast do you think you'd have to go to force 1400cfm into the engine with ram air. Just my take on Ram Air and forced induction.

I was thinking that if I can get the airfilter up top somewhere it'll still be sucking a lot of hot air from the now monumental amount of hot air trapped under the hood
Best place is in the fog light box, but that isn't happening unless I really reduce the 5inch piping to 3inches to maybe get it in there(and I don't want to reduce it that much)...it'll be tight if I do go that way. So I think where I have the filter now is the best compromise, its sitting away from the radiator and exhaust pipes, is now in the air stream..kinda.. which is good since air will be passing by it and the only source of heat it'll be seeing is road temps, but then again i'll be driving along so hopefully it'll only be sucking in air thats a lil hotter than ambient....and put a stock lid back on my car....NO WAY...that thing is UGLY

Hellraiser, haven't had a chance to run the car yet, still trying to find my prefilter before I take her out. Its monsoon season here now and its raining in the afternoon so I don't want to be without it. Better safe than sorry. I'll go buy one tomorrow after work as I think my brand new prefilter got thrown in the garbage when I was cleaning up after the turbo install
Old 07-25-2005, 07:50 AM
10 Second Club

but if you the air is compressed so much to add so much heat,why care about sucking in hot air in the first place?...cause every bit might help?Then itd make sense to run it up to a lid(NOT STOCK!!!) to get cool air.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Lets try it, come on over and we'll see how a 5 inch pipe goes into a aftermarket lid, I'd hate to see the tight bend the pipe is gonna have to make I'd never reduce the inlet from 5 inches to 3 inches, the less restriction the better in my book...especially on FI.

Well drove her to work today. The trip home is always the kicker as the outside temps are upper 90's now. With the air filter in its new location I definately can feel a BIG difference to the touch. Before you couldn't touch the core on the inlet as it was that stinkin hot, tank on that side was the same but worse (scientific here)
Now the tank on the inlet side while hot is now cooler to the touch. The inlet side of the core is now warm not hot at all, while the outlet side is nice and cool.

Best bet would be getting that filter into the foglight box and a blanket for the turbo on both sides....the compressor housing is still getting baked by the radiator/fans blasting heat into it
I'm happy again, just need my fuel lines now.
J
Old 07-25-2005, 08:11 PM
10 Second Club

actually they make larger opening lids,or you could fab it,its been done and works well...it was just a suggestion.At least its working better now for you,now just get your fuel setup and get some number!
Old 07-25-2005, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why not put it in front of the passenger side wheel, like the Incon setup. You can fit a huge filter in there, it cold air, and its fairly protected from water ingestion, unless you try to drive through a pond. Of course that neans a piece of tube/silcon hose to the front.

Gary
Old 07-25-2005, 08:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Show me where its been done, I'd like to see a GT42 on a f body with a 5 inch opening with an 5 inch intake tube going straight up and bending 90 degs into a lid....show me.
If you believe there is that kind of room between the radiator and the TB to accomodate a 5 inch tube with a 90 deg bend..show me. My TB elbow (4.0 to 3.5 elbow) is where this supposed room would be and I have less that 1/8 of an inch clearance between the radiator support and the elbow.

If it could be done, I just don't feel using a lid with a panel air filter will flow anywhere near the conical filters out there. With this new set up I have room for a longer air filter now

I've seen 618hawks set up
J
Old 07-25-2005, 08:36 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by NA$TY-TA
Jer,

Like we were saying...... cut the rad. support brace do the griffin rad. and move the Batt. tot he back and youll have plenty of room. Ill get ya the part # on Mon.
Kyle

Yeah, I'm quickly seeing that this is the best way to fit things into the enginebay and provide better cooling too.

To bad you can't run a series of pipes and put the filter up there behind the ram air on a firebird, that's what I'd try to do if you could.

Quick Reply: Immediate help needed, air filter placement, on my turbo bird