Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My PCM has a short term memory

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 09:48 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My PCM has a short term memory

After the car sits for a few hours and I start it up, all the gauges on the dash flash to there max reading, then back to a 0 rating, then go to the correct setting. For example. Tach with go to 7K, then down to 0, then up to 900 rpm. The trip meter also resets to 0. Also seems the car has to relearn how to idle. If I go on a trip and shut the car off for a short period, say to get gas or run into the store it will retain it's memory... any idea what would cause this?

Dan
99 T/A MTI programming.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like a short or improper contact. I know for a fact that when my car would do that, it was due to the battery being low. I have noticed some vehicles had either a bad contact behind the dash for the gauge cluster or the battery terminals were loose.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:19 AM
10 Second Club

You either have a battery or alternator on it's way out, or a bad connection.

And since you have a 99 you will get the trip reset ...... Mine does the same when my lightweight battery gets low.

Old 08-01-2005, 10:37 AM
Staging Lane

Hmmm funny I have the same problem. I thought it was because I moved the battery to the back but I checked all my connections 100 times and used 0 gauge wire to try to fix it and it still did it. It didn't seem to have any other effect on my car other than it reseting the OD so I just ignored it. This is saying it's the gauge cluster itself? So I will have to replace the gauge cluster to correct this problem?
Old 08-01-2005, 10:48 AM
10 Second Club

UltraZ,

As far as function I don't see the gauge replacement being a must. It will just reset the trip.....

It might not like the battery relocation but as long as it starts fine and you can live with the trip reset....I wouldn't bother. Mine works fine with a regular battery but it resets sometimes with the lightweight one. I've gotten used to it during "race season". After that the stocker goes back in.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:57 AM
Launching!

I'm running a lightweight battery in the stock battery location as well. Maybe this is the source. The alternator did just go out, but I replaced it and I have the same problem. The car doesn't have any problems starting and it has been doing this for about a year.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:39 AM
TECH Veteran

I have seen this in my 99 camaro....usually when the battery is low.... chck all the ground wires again...
Old 08-01-2005, 12:49 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jay_99z
UltraZ,

As far as function I don't see the gauge replacement being a must. It will just reset the trip.....

It might not like the battery relocation but as long as it starts fine and you can live with the trip reset....I wouldn't bother. Mine works fine with a regular battery but it resets sometimes with the lightweight one. I've gotten used to it during "race season". After that the stocker goes back in.
Yeah honestly it never really bothered me much. After instaling my th400 I haven't hooked up the speedo yet and the car starts fine so hell with it.
Old 10-27-2005, 03:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have a '99 Z28 as well.

If I'm showing good voltage when the car is running could it still be my alternator or battery? There is no hesitation on startups at all and even when it resets there is no issue with idling(although its a little low at 500rpm)
Old 10-27-2005, 04:00 PM
10 Second Club

You might want to double check that your battery terminals are tight.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Question on this, Would this mess up a tune????
Old 10-29-2005, 09:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TAGOES11S
After the car sits for a few hours and I start it up, all the gauges on the dash flash to there max reading, then back to a 0 rating, then go to the correct setting. For example. Tach with go to 7K, then down to 0, then up to 900 rpm. The trip meter also resets to 0. Also seems the car has to relearn how to idle. If I go on a trip and shut the car off for a short period, say to get gas or run into the store it will retain it's memory... any idea what would cause this?

Dan
99 T/A MTI programming.
Low voltage will cause this... but the early 99 pcm software had a fault that caused it to reset some of the memory values and act exactly as you describe. You can have the software updated at a dealer or find someone that can reflash the computer with a newer version.
Hope this helps,

Maggie
Old 03-08-2006, 10:03 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TAGOES11S
I'm running a lightweight battery in the stock battery location as well.
What lightweight battery are u guys using??
Old 03-08-2006, 10:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by MAXIMO
Question on this, Would this mess up a tune????
no... the trip meter is part of the gauge cluster, not stored in the PCM so this issue won't mess up a tune

Once a car is tuned, it's stored in the PCMs flash memory, so simply losing power won't cause it to be lost (the tune) ... even losing power momentarily isn't enough to clear the learned info in the PCM (such as fuel trims)
Old 06-30-2008, 02:16 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Maggie
Low voltage will cause this... but the early 99 pcm software had a fault that caused it to reset some of the memory values and act exactly as you describe. You can have the software updated at a dealer or find someone that can reflash the computer with a newer version.
Hope this helps,

Maggie
What new software is there? So I can tell my tuner. I am having this problem and mine is a 99. Thanks Art
Old 07-01-2008, 11:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 4U2NV-SS
What new software is there? So I can tell my tuner. I am having this problem and mine is a 99. Thanks Art
Most dealerships usually charge $75 to $100 or so for an update.

Your tuner will probably have the latest stock version.

PM me if he doesn't.

Quick Reply: My PCM has a short term memory