Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Did anyone try to fit 8" subs by the rear seats?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 09:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How to fit 8" subs by the rear seats:Write up inside.

Did anyone try to fit 8" subs by the rear seats?

Last edited by iGoRa; 10-01-2005 at 03:20 PM.
Old 09-18-2005, 11:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep I did it.

I went with some cheapo Pyrmids for like $12 with a 2X65 watt amp. It was really straight forward. I just expanded the hole and screwed them in place and wired them up. I went and hooke the amp up in the trunk on the rear section by the tail lights so it was out of the way of the T-top's. It is a definate improvement over the stock speakers but mine always cut on and off. The selection of 8in woofers is rather slim compared to the more popular 10 or 12's. I did it cause i wanted more bass and did't want to give up trunk space. The bass is by no means glass shattering but it is just right in my opinion. Of course the speakers and amp you choose can make a huge difference. I will probably change them out to something better along with a larger amp one day.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

How did you make the hole bigger? What tools did you use?
Old 09-19-2005, 01:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Oh yeah post a pic!
Old 09-19-2005, 09:10 AM
Staging Lane

Did plastic fit back with no problem? Post the model of the subs, so I can look up for the dimensions. Also , pic would be grate.
Thanx!
Old 09-19-2005, 11:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just used the dremel with a cutting wheel. I can't rememeber the exact size the hole has to be you will need to do some mesuring. I just lined the speakers over the old hole the best i could since there are bigger and took a sharpie and outlined it and marked the mounting holes and cut alittle below the mounting holes. It ist perfect because i got alittle carried away but it works just fine. Heres a link to the subs I used. Like i said you will need to do some measuring for the hole or if you go with different subs make sure they are not to deep

What Plastic are you talking about?

If you mean the speaker covers, then yes they still fit it looks just like factory once every think is put back toghter. Its just when you take it apart theres a 8in sub instead of a 6.5. I'll try and take some pics tommorow when i get home for you guys.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Get these beasts! http://cgi.ebay.com/JL-Audio-8W7-8-S...QQcmdZViewItem

I'm sure they'll fit with that metal peice cut out. Amagine being a passenger in the back seat with those things blasting bass in your ear. Could that panel be pushed out some by an object of some kind to keed the cone from hit the back of the speaker cover?
Old 09-20-2005, 09:50 AM
Staging Lane

Yes , that’s what I want to hear. 8” subs would fit , and with plastic speaker covers on top would keep OEM look. Thaks Jon!

Josh : I bet those are grate. But you definitely would have to cut the inner frame, and yes , thets the other reason to be a driver in that car !
Old 09-20-2005, 04:11 PM
TECH Regular

wow I'm glad somebody asked this I was about to try this myself thank's for doing the hard work ;P
Old 09-20-2005, 05:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You would definatly have to do some cutting to get that speaker to fit. There is a support piece behind the speaker that is kinda of to the side. I'm sure you could more/ cut it some. I would like to see someone do a bad *** 8in setup with a small box built in there that would be badass.

I also used a deflex pad behind the subs. Heres a link to them

Alright here's them pics you guys wanted. Never mind the black spots on the speakers it some overspray from some spray on sound deadner.

For the whole setup i only spent about $100 and it made a huge difference. I you go with a quality speaker and amp im sure it will take it to a whole other level. Hope this helps you guys out.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Nice!! Now if you switch to those JL audio's I posted, They'd prolly blow those subs away!
Old 09-20-2005, 07:45 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Josh_101
Nice!! Now if you switch to those JL audio's I posted, They'd prolly blow those subs away!
Those 8s probably can blow speaker cover right away!
I’m not sure if there is enough mounting space behind for those.
I think that 8W3v2 should fit with no problem
Old 09-20-2005, 09:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well really just about any other sub would blow those pyrmids away but for the improvement i got for the little money I spent I can't complain. But like i said if anyone is going to do this do some measuring. I beleive there is only a mounting depth of like 3 3/4 to 4in(If i remember correctly, don't quote me on that) and i don't think that JL audio fits that criteria. So just measure before you order to be sure it will fit.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:53 PM
Staging Lane

Jon, did you have to cut the inner frame for the magnet to be able to fit there?
Old 09-21-2005, 01:29 AM
12 Second Club

Wow.... I never thought of doing that... I may have to do that once I decide to add another amp to my setup. Im sure you can find some low depth 8"ers that would work well. I know theres a couple companies that specialize in shallow depth 8s. People that compete will use them for front bass... cutting holes in floor boards.

Nice work!
Old 09-21-2005, 11:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

What are those plastic peices hanging off the panel around the sub?? My 94 camaro doesn't have those.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Dang I like this! I blew a 6.5 MB Quart mid that's there now so instead of spending $ for a new set, might dump it on some 8" JL 8W1s... 3.75" mounting depth so they possibly fit with little or not problems!!! Also got the amp to push it too!
Old 09-21-2005, 04:55 PM
TECH Regular

hey onb I was going to do a sealed fiberglass inclousre in there when I do mine. I've been looking around a bite andc found a couple 8's that can mount fairly showlow and handle about 350 rms. I'm hoping for a good sounding system with some bass not competion bass so I think I can get what I want. btw I'm upgrading to polk mono in the rear and door's
Old 09-21-2005, 05:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Josh_101
What are those plastic peices hanging off the panel around the sub?? My 94 camaro doesn't have those.
I think your talking about what holds the speaker grill on. Thats all that holds it there it just snaps in place.

No i did not have to cut the frame. All i had to do was enlarge the hole and plug them in. Like i've said please take a look at whats going on behind the speaker and measure before you order the speakers. The frame support is mostly out of the way but if you have some crazy huge speaker it may be in the way.

Like i said I would like to see someone build a box to put behind these subs, It probably would't be the correct size for the application but still probably better than none at all.
Old 09-21-2005, 05:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Thats pretty sweet

Quick Reply: Did anyone try to fit 8" subs by the rear seats?