Sponsored by:

Ls motor into 69 Camaro + 6spd

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 12:07 PM
vmc
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls motor into 69 Camaro + 6spd

I've checked in this section and other's and havn't found any sites that show concisely what is involved in this project. There are bits and pieces as to what people have done. Is there a section that takes you from beginning to end yet?
Old 09-30-2005, 01:22 PM
TECH Regular

nope, but you can get enough info here to do it. start at the FAQ post at the top and then search. there is a tranny mount post right now. the FAQ covers the mounts, wiring, and fuel.
Old 09-30-2005, 05:23 PM
TECH Regular

Try Street and performance web page thet do lots of conversions. http://www.hotrodlane.cc/
Old 09-30-2005, 08:06 PM
TECH Resident

Ya if i remember correctly there is actually an article at Street and Performance's site where they talk about putting an LS1 in a 1st gen camaro.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can get the full installation CD from American Touring Specialties
Old 09-30-2005, 11:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here's an article from Car Craft:

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...wap/index.html

Pick and choose the best combination to fit you style and budget.

Pat
Old 10-01-2005, 12:33 AM
Teching In

Yea,
I know what you mean i have installed one and it is hard when you talk to alot of people who claim to know what they are doing.I can probably help.check out the Pic below for an engine that i did that went into a 68 Camaro
Attached Thumbnails Ls motor into 69 Camaro + 6spd-ls2nos.jpg  
Old 10-01-2005, 05:56 PM
Launching!

We know what we are doing. We make the real parts for swapping in the LS1/T56's. None of that street rod chrome crap, just hardcore parts that flat out work and fit exactly like they are supposed to.
Tyler
Old 10-01-2005, 06:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Teetoe_Jones
We know what we are doing. We make the real parts for swapping in the LS1/T56's. None of that street rod chrome crap, just hardcore parts that flat out work and fit exactly like they are supposed to.
Tyler
woah!! im sure you make parts but why do you say "street rod chrome crap"?
Old 10-01-2005, 07:17 PM
Launching!

Well, I guess I went a bit far saying crap. They are good looking pieces. For that I apolgize. I just come from the school of function over form, and most of the swap parts I've seen for a 1st gen F body are all street rod parts. They sure aren't built to go to the track, and they have shiney cool guy chrome all over them. My crew and I decided to make some very hardcore LSX swap parts that sure specific purposes, and filled some rather large voids in the market for those of us that take our cars to the track to beat the snot out of them. (Nineball is a perfect example.)

Tyler
Old 10-02-2005, 12:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Teetoe_Jones
Well, I guess I went a bit far saying crap. They are good looking pieces. For that I apolgize. I just come from the school of function over form, and most of the swap parts I've seen for a 1st gen F body are all street rod parts. They sure aren't built to go to the track, and they have shiney cool guy chrome all over them. My crew and I decided to make some very hardcore LSX swap parts that sure specific purposes, and filled some rather large voids in the market for those of us that take our cars to the track to beat the snot out of them. (Nineball is a perfect example.)

Tyler
OK, You got my interest, I might be one of those street rod guys, but I do like alternatives. Only problem is I went to your site and it says "Not in Production Yet" in a lot of places. I am especially interested in your Serpentine belt opitons. Let us see what you got.

thanks

Pat
Old 10-02-2005, 04:22 AM
Launching!

I'll have a huge update to show you after the 5th of Nov.
The SEMA show gets all our new stuff first, then we'll bring it here.
Those of you attending, be sure to stop by our booth, 52315, and see the stuff first hand.
Tyler
Old 10-02-2005, 06:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Sema

Grrrrrrrr, Damn Nov 5th, I wanna see all the new ****, I want motor mounts the full picture headers, and all the other stuff, I new I should of gone to SEMA!!!!
Old 10-03-2005, 02:36 PM
9 Second Club

what the pricing like for this stuff? since you feel you filled a void in hardcore parts will you be pricing them with in reason or some inflated numbers because you think you are the only one offering this stuff.

i am willing to buy 2 of everything you have , and i dont want to wait . so what the prices like . you may pm me if you like
Old 10-03-2005, 04:03 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by datsbad
what the pricing like for this stuff? since you feel you filled a void in hardcore parts will you be pricing them with in reason or some inflated numbers because you think you are the only one offering this stuff.

i am willing to buy 2 of everything you have , and i dont want to wait . so what the prices like . you may pm me if you like

in the end it all depends on your budget but if you plan to buy all premade custom parts then i would add about $5000 to your budget.
1. headers
2. engine mounts
3. tranny mount
4. fuel tank / system
5. wiring harness and ecm flash

if you try to save $$$$ and have some fab skills then you can have the LS1 combo in your car for less then $1000

1. $300 modified pace setters (new)
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-swaps/329889-ls1-pace-setter-header-67-pics.html

2. Made my own mounts for $5
http://matt.undiagnosed.org/ls1/imag...ount_plate.jpg

3. made my own tranny mount $60
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-swaps/388040-firstgen-transmission-mount-pics.html

4. Still working on the tank but I may go rock valley or build my own. I have the 99 vette set up and a A1000 pump

5. modified my own harness and cost $30 to remove the VATS
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-swaps/312119-ls1-swap-faqs.html

there are some great parts out there but i hate to see people get discouraged because they think they HAVE to buy a $700 tranny mount or $1000 headers. Remember these guys are here to make $$$$$

some more things to consider are
1. oil pan (ATS is making one or modify yours)
2. radiator
3. cold air inlet / filter
4. AC bracket ( I hear ATS has one and i cant wait to see it)

good luck with your build

Last edited by SatisTraction; 10-03-2005 at 04:09 PM.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:35 PM
9 Second Club

i am concerned about the price of ATS's headers, motor mounts, and the t56 kit .
also would like to see the ac braket .

SEMA wont be long , i will be there to see this stuff. the only problem i see is that after SEMA how long will it be till i would actually receive the parts . i placed and order for the new 6 piston baers and we have yet to see them . 2 sets of fronts and rears and nothing .

So ATS , lets say i order at the show or the next day when its all over , when would i get my parts ? i am building 2 cars right now and they will be done by march . can you come through for me ? again my PM box is not full last time i checked...
Old 10-03-2005, 09:10 PM
Staging Lane

Talking

I have been in contact with ATS, Preliminary research, for my '69 Camaro/LS1/Wayne Due Frame project. The prices on the parts I was looking at getting (trans mount, in work of being modified for the Wayne Due frame, clutch adapter plate, adjustable clutch) are reasonable price wise. I plan on doing the harness my self, including the underhood harness(still need to get), to work the fans, A/C, fuel pump, and I may also use it for all front lights/signals. I am going to make my own motor mount adapters (can't really see them), but am going crazy polishing the Corvette aluminum a-arms and hubs (can see them)! I will be using C5 'Vette manifolds but '02 Camaro ones do produce good power. I sat down and figured out what would be cheaper to buy than to fabricate, and what I should do myself to save money. Sit down and make a in order list of everything you need for the project, put prices and/or time it will take to do. This gives you a good game plan and will help qualify/quantify cost vs. time. I am still in the parts gathering stage, but am quickly approaching the rip-n-shread time to tear things apart and get into the cleaning. Also am going to smooth the firewall, car has factory A/C, but will be going with LS1 compressor and vintage air setup. The list goes on and on, just make sure to have a realistic plan of costs and time involved.
Whew, I am sure long winded. Just think, in the time it took to write this I could have been playing hammer-throw with the cat
ATAK
Old 10-04-2005, 12:54 AM
Launching!

Datsbad- I PM'd you @ Lateral-G.net to answer some of the questions you had. All of our stuff will be in the ball park of our competition price wise, but way out of their league fit, finish, and quality wise.
I will say 1 thing and leave it at this:
Our headers are not for most people. They are full custom parts built to each car, for the optimal engine combo. They are bad ***, give wicked power over the entire powerband, and fit PERFECT. They are also really, really expensive.
Don't ask price, because I can't quote you without you filling out an engine spec sheet, and us discussing the project, but know that if you are bitching about the price of a set of Stainless Works headers, you won't even want to look at ours.
Tyler

Last edited by Teetoe_Jones; 10-04-2005 at 01:12 PM.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:38 AM
On The Tree

whats wrong with stainless works headers. mike
Old 10-04-2005, 12:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 69blackwidow
whats wrong with stainless works headers. mike
I said nothing to the effect of 'wrong'. They fit, the material choice is great, and they obviously direct exhaust gases out the back of the car. Nothing wrong with that.

Here is all I need to say:

Stainless works $1100 header:

American Touring Specialties header:

Again- Not a header for everyone, but you will know where the money went after you get them in hand. I'm just trying to make a point that I see threads here all the time that complain about the price of a stainless header. The SW headers are nice, and moderately spendy. The ATS headers are custom built race units, and are very spendy.

Tyler

Last edited by Teetoe_Jones; 10-04-2005 at 01:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Ls motor into 69 Camaro + 6spd