LS1TECH Sponsor Feedback Tell us about your sponsor transactions

Slp

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 06:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs down Slp

A HUGE thumbs down.

This really isn't about the money so much as the principal. It is concerning a $175 oil pump.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/390099-oil-pump-issue.html

I ordered the pump from Young (Byunspeed) months back. Received the pump without a hitch. That transaction was great as usual from Young.

I finally recently got around to installing the timing set and oil pump. Got the timing set on, bolted the oil pump to the block, and handthreaded the oil pick-up bolt into the oil pump. Got the torque wrench on it, 106 in/pounds (believe me, I made sure it wasn't more than that), and tried to tighten the bolt. It never torqued down. It just spun. So I backed it out. I got the bolt with what looked like a helicoil on it. SLP says there are not helicoils in these pumps. I am not familar with the helicoils, but that is what it appeared to be. The bolt had the threads/helicoil on it.
Remember, there was never more than 106 in/pounds on these threads. And they were started by hand.

So....I call Young. He tells me he will call SLP. Next day Young tells me to send the pump back to SLP. I do....rushed it a little bit.
Young calls me Monday, and lets me know that SLP refuses to do anything for me. At this point, I am fairly frustrated. SLP is saying it HAS to be my fault. I had to have stripped the hole out. I am 100% I did not. No way. There was never ANY resistance on the bolt.
Anyways....I call SLP myself. Not exactly the happiest person in the world at the time. I was supposed to have a running motor in my car very soon. I understand things happen, and this is no exception. Although I would have expected a better response from a company I have mistakenly spent $1500+ with.

NOW....I hear that SLP won't do anything to the pump for me, and wants to charge me to ship it back to me.

This wouldn't be such a big deal IF I caused this oil pump damage. If I even felt there was a 2% I damaged it, this thread wouldn't be here. I just can't stand how SLP seems think that their products will always be 100% perfect. **** happens, I understand that. That is why it was no big deal to ship the pump off.

Also, it seems it is no big deal that SLP loses me as a customer.

Thanks to Young for fixing me up and trying to help!!! Two thumbs up for him, as always.
Old 10-06-2005, 02:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My question is how did their pump strip out the bolt hole on the block???? Those threads ar junk, I had one come out where the cam retainer plate bolts up. So I dont see how its their fault.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:29 PM
11 Second Club

The threads are in the oil pump, not the block.
There is a single bolt that holds the oil pick-up to the oil pump. That hole is what is in question.
Old 10-06-2005, 06:30 PM
TECH Veteran

SLP
Old 10-06-2005, 06:38 PM
11 Second Club

Yeah...I know.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:21 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Oops I guess I misread. Thepick up tube bolt hole is the stripped one. Well good luck!
Old 10-07-2005, 05:44 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks.

I ordered a new pump from VRE. Through Young.
I am going to get the old one shipped back to me and have it fixed and sell it. Gotta pay to have it shipped back as well.
Old 10-09-2005, 08:24 PM
11 Second Club

Just found out that SLP added a HANDLING fee to ship this back to me. On top of the fact that I already had to pay to have this shipped back to me.

Ridiculous.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sucks! What crummy service! I only had to deal with them once, and they were not very friendly. I order elsewhere now. Part of the reason some of the sponsors are doing so well is because they have great customer service, and treat their customers well. Take TSP for example.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:28 PM
11 Second Club

Surprise surprise....The new VRE pump went on without a problem. I did the exact same thing.

Quick Reply: Slp