Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

W2w

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2005, 05:08 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default W2w

Wheel 2 wheel has a rotex supercharger. Anyone know anything about them ?
Old 10-29-2005, 05:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no, I am kind of wondering about they too, if you look at the pics on their site they look "strage" in that they dont look like the other superchargers that you see.

I would assume that they perform better or at least as well as the current superchargers systems that are out there, or W2W wouldnt be carrying them.

THe other thing that kind of has em confused is that they really only seem to be marketing the headunits, are there kits available??

Im sure we will hear from Kurt on monday if not sooner
ed
Old 10-29-2005, 09:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We are releasing a GM truck unit at SEMA. They are very quiet, nearly silent drive. They will make about 550hp at the flywheel. They should be perfect for someone who wants more power without additional noise. We had 5 cars on Power Tour this year, 4 had Rotrex blowers on them.
Also will have my twin Rotrex gen3 on display at SEMA. It has a 800rpm idle hyd roller cam for street use. It makes 950hp at the flywheel in preliminary testing. We will have a car on Power Tour with the twin blowers next year.

Kurt
Old 10-29-2005, 09:14 PM
TECH Addict

Kurt,
Are all the brackets custom made units? or are you going to be making kits as time permits?

I see that you said a truck kit is forthcomming, just wondering if you are going to be making/marketing kits for other applications.

where did these blowers come from, are they a new company or is it foregin?
Old 10-29-2005, 09:34 PM
Staging Lane

The Rotrex is a really nice concept in which compressor wheel speed runs 1.5-2X faster then ATI, Paxton or Vortech. This means compressor is in sweet spot (turbo-machinery likes to run fast/or 1200 ft/sec or faster). Form efficiency standpoint faster you can run wheel the happier it is and blade loading is reduced (a good think because pressure rise is better with lower loading).

The traction/friction is key to design! How is traction drive holding up?

Mike
Old 10-29-2005, 09:34 PM
TECH Junkie

The bracket is a casting for the gen3. We will be adding kits as time goes on. The next kit we are working on is the 5cyl H3/Colorado/Canyon.

The blowers are made in Denmark. They are used in Europe mostly. The smallest units are 5lbs with 150 total hp output for small 4 cyl engines.

Kurt
Old 10-29-2005, 09:42 PM
TECH Junkie

The traction drive is holding up well. The stepper ratio in the larger units is 7.5-1 and the shaft speed on my twin is 90,000rpm.

There is another new gearbox design we are testing now that will be interesting for the sc. It is a transmission built into the front of the head unit that steps up the drive speed an additional 1.4-1 at low speeds, then automaticly switches to 1-1 as rpm increases so as to not overspeed the blower. Gives a more linear boost curve to increase low end torque production.

Kurt
Originally Posted by Skunkworks
The Rotrex is a really nice concept in which compressor wheel speed runs 1.5-2X faster then ATI, Paxton or Vortech. This means compressor is in sweet spot (turbo-machinery likes to run fast/or 1200 ft/sec or faster). Form efficiency standpoint faster you can run wheel the happier it is and blade loading is reduced (a good think because pressure rise is better with lower loading).

The traction/friction is key to design! How is traction drive holding up?

Mike
Old 10-29-2005, 09:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 427
The traction drive is holding up well. The stepper ratio in the larger units is 7.5-1 and the shaft speed on my twin is 90,000rpm.

There is another new gearbox design we are testing now that will be interesting for the sc. It is a transmission built into the front of the head unit that steps up the drive speed an additional 1.4-1 at low speeds, then automaticly switches to 1-1 as rpm increases so as to not overspeed the blower. Gives a more linear boost curve to increase low end torque production.

Kurt
Damn, I had the 2 speed supercharger concept 3 years ago! I just don’t know without some sort of external pressure regulation you are not going to notice pressure drop. I know they have a built in pump by input shaft and can conceivably clamp onto different rollers to create 2-speed transmission, but understanding centrifugal compressors you will see a pressure dip when changing step-up ratios.

Mike
Old 10-30-2005, 07:35 AM
TECH Junkie

What blower did you have the trans on? As long as the shaft does not drop below 1-1 the pressure will just return to non transmission psi. That step is why the ratio is kept down to 1.4-1, now if we could package a 3 speed!!

Kurt
Originally Posted by Skunkworks
Damn, I had the 2 speed supercharger concept 3 years ago! I just don’t know without some sort of external pressure regulation you are not going to notice pressure drop. I know they have a built in pump by input shaft and can conceivably clamp onto different rollers to create 2-speed transmission, but understanding centrifugal compressors you will see a pressure dip when changing step-up ratios.

Mike
Old 10-30-2005, 09:36 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 427
What blower did you have the trans on? As long as the shaft does not drop below 1-1 the pressure will just return to non transmission psi. That step is why the ratio is kept down to 1.4-1, now if we could package a 3 speed!!

Kurt
I used turbo compressor wheel (T88)/scroll and built drive gearbox and had 3 PSI drop when switching from high to low speed. Also my ratio differential was smaller. I had no way at looking at transmission losses also but I know parasitic loading was higher.

Mike
Old 10-31-2005, 07:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

got any pics of the twin Rotex set up yet 427????

these things where used on the fastest prodution car ever (unitl the veryon came out) that was the Koenigsegg CCR at 242+mph!again they used a twin rotex setup to make over 800bhp on a Ford 4.6!

thanks Chris.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:36 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Here is a front view of the twins at our sema booth.
I should be able to get some better pictures once the motor returns.

Old 10-31-2005, 01:44 PM
Staging Lane

any idea if this would work on the 4.2L I6.....
Old 10-31-2005, 02:11 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by icen
any idea if this would work on the 4.2L I6.....
That would depend on your horsepower goals. The goal with the twin project is 1000 horsepower.

With a single C-38 you can make 550

The bracket shown will only work on the Gen3 engine platform.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:24 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Kev@WheeltoWheel
That would depend on your horsepower goals. The goal with the twin project is 1000 horsepower.

With a single C-38 you can make 550

The bracket shown will only work on the Gen3 engine platform.
so to make this work basicaly I would have to machine a new bracket for the L6 platform? Myself, and couple other quadruplet owners need some type of help in the FI field as there is nothing right now. If there was anway you could set up a package for our platform I dont see why you couldnt sell to us as the first pioneer for FI for the L6 platform and make some money in the process.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

I cant wiat to see waht the top of that engine looks like. Seems odd that they had to make a seperate pulley to apply pressure to teh belt so taht it makes contact with the waterpump. I would imagine that a electic pump woudl be the better choice. GL

John
Old 10-31-2005, 03:14 PM
SSU Moderator

I was thinking after looking at that picture that 1/2" of contact on the WP pulley is crazy. We probably can't see if from the angle used, but what we are seeing is likely forward of the standard accessory drive and any factory belts can still be used with some slight adjustments. But then I look again and I don't know where you'd put the alt, PS, and A/C belts...???
Old 10-31-2005, 03:24 PM
TECH Junkie

The blower belt only turns the blowers. The picture is from a angle that makes it look closer then it is. The std belt line is still there. The AC runs off the standard pulley behind the standard beltline. In the picture, the accy belt is not on. It is a display engine.

Kurt
Originally Posted by RyanJ
I was thinking after looking at that picture that 1/2" of contact on the WP pulley is crazy. We probably can't see if from the angle used, but what we are seeing is likely forward of the standard accessory drive and any factory belts can still be used with some slight adjustments. But then I look again and I don't know where you'd put the alt, PS, and A/C belts...???
Old 10-31-2005, 03:33 PM
SSU Moderator

HA...knew it. Thanks Kurt. With the big plate and the pulleys I could imagine where the PS pump and res. would fit. Make sure to post tons of SEMA pics!
Old 10-31-2005, 09:52 PM
TECH Resident

That's one sturdy looking bracket.

Does this thing offer any advantage for trucks still used for towing, or does it still require the RPMs like other centrifugal blowers?

Quick Reply: W2w