Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

5th Gen Camaro picture - and feedback

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 08:47 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Lightbulb 5th Gen Camaro picture - and feedback

We have seen that there are some other discussions started by GM going on about the overall impressions of the infamous "leaked" Camaro photo that is circulating the net now. The photo is currently shown on the opening page of www.CamaroZ28.com , so it appears we were not the only site that received the images.

Since we are one of the busiest GM related enthusiast sites on the net, I'm sure our members here also would like to participate in a critique type discussion. Please consider this thread as the forum for discussion on your impressions for the car. We ask that you do so maturely and offer constructive criticisms if you have any. Anyone replying in a less than mature fashion will have their access removed to this forum.

Keep in mind that the images are of a clay model, and may not be completely representative of the actual vehicle that will be unveiled in January.

Thanks,
Tony
Old 12-08-2005, 08:51 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally think the car looks good. The rearview mirrors on the doors and the taillights need some reworking, in my opinion, but overall - I like the car. I also think they should go with the passenger side front fascia of the clay model.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:52 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be the first to say that they're on the right track. As long as it's got at least a 400HP base motor

-Passenger bumper/foglight idea looks better.
-Like the Interior
-love the wheels
-Go to a Solid Axle
-do something with the rear lights
Old 12-08-2005, 09:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by GregWS6&z28
I'll be the first to say that they're on the right track. As long as it's got at least a 400HP base motor

-Passenger bumper/foglight idea looks better.
-Like the Interior
-love the wheels
-Go to a Solid Axle
-do something with the rear lights
Im with you there with the Motor... 400 HP
but i like the drivers side better
and i agree Solid axle.... or we will be doing exactly what the 03-04 Cobra guys had to do....
Not sure about the rear lights yet......

Kyle
Old 12-08-2005, 09:20 AM
Staging Lane

the only thing i can get is a pic of the front, and i think its awesome, if they come out wiht that then i'm in....and you know they are going to put a stout powerplant in it
Old 12-08-2005, 09:22 AM
Staging Lane

ok sorry, got it all to come up now...car still looks great, i could do without those rear lights, but def on right track!!!!
Old 12-08-2005, 09:23 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Personally, I love the clay model design. I probably wouldn't change a thing except for the tail lights and sharp door mirrors. They look almost too Corvette related I suppose. Maybe just some simple horizontal lights similar to the '69 RS style would fit the body better. The grille looks killer to me, and the car just looks aggressive as hell.

The wheel style is sweet, I hope they keep those and offer us at least 18s.

I actually like the flared fenders. Having that design also lets the car sit lower and give the tires more clearance. I've seen other renderings with '69 style wheel flares, but these look equally sweet to me.

GM designers did an excellent job on this proto. Its not too retro like the Mustang, but has definite Camaro heritage. When you look at it, there is no mistaking what it is. I enjoy retro designs, but never would want a full-retro like the new Mustang for our Camaro.

Independent rear suspension will hurt us drag racers initially, but I know several of us hardcore guys will just wait for Moser or Strange to build a solid axle conversion. No big deal, the solid axle in the 4th gen was weak too. It would be sweet to offer a solid axle option, but that would probably be cost prohibitive to developing this car.

Overall, I really love this design. If it were available today I'd probably sell my C6 Vette and buy two of them. One to daily-drive, the other to turn into a 9-second drag car immediately

Tony
Old 12-08-2005, 09:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

I definitely love the car. If GM can manage to not **** up the look between concept and production, I'll be one of the first in line. That photo shows a drop dead sexy car as-is. I wouldn't cry over either side either, the differences are relatively minor in my opinion.

As for powertrain, as long as the motor mounts accept a Gen-III/IV engine, I could give a **** what they put in the engine bay. Make the base model 5.3L with DoD, and the top trim level a 6.4L with DoD. Maybe allow the dealers to get back in the game by offering limited warrantied versions with a 7.0L .. Lets bring back the hayday of the 60's with highly saught after cars like Yenko.. If anyone from GM is reading, please leave just enough room for a turbocharger, preferably a large frame Seriously though, as long as its a Gen3/4 based powerplant, with a strong transmission, and a strong rear end, I'm all about it. IRS will be nice, but I'd like to see a "cheaper" or drag racing option to drop in a solid rear. I'll have to study the pics a little more to see about how versatile the pickup points would be to make it happen. The biggest problem is swing room in the tunnel for the driveshaft, looks like they're trying to keep the tunnel size down for more interior flexibility.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:37 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Personally, I love the clay model design. I probably wouldn't change a thing except for the tail lights and sharp door mirrors. They look almost too Corvette related I suppose. Maybe just some simple horizontal lights similar to the '69 RS style would fit the body better. The grille looks killer to me, and the car just looks aggressive as hell.

The wheel style is sweet, I hope they keep those and offer us at least 18s.

I actually like the flared fenders. Having that design also lets the car sit lower and give the tires more clearance. I've seen other renderings with '69 style wheel flares, but these look equally sweet to me.

GM designers did an excellent job on this proto. Its not too retro like the Mustang, but has definite Camaro heritage. When you look at it, there is no mistaking what it is. I enjoy retro designs, but never would want a full-retro like the new Mustang for our Camaro.

Independent rear suspension will hurt us drag racers initially, but I know several of us hardcore guys will just wait for Moser or Strange to build a solid axle conversion. No big deal, the solid axle in the 4th gen was weak too. It would be sweet to offer a solid axle option, but that would probably be cost prohibitive to developing this car.

Overall, I really love this design. If it were available today I'd probably sell my C6 Vette and buy two of them. One to daily-drive, the other to turn into a 9-second drag car immediately

Tony
Tony for President!!!

I agree totally with you except I would keep the independant rear for the Z/28 model and have the live rear for the base and SS model if the SS model gets the bad boy engine.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:38 AM
Deranged Rat Fink

I would definitely buy this car but the main thing of importance is to keep it as easy to service & mod as possible. The Camaro has always been a car enthusiasts can not leave bone stock in the past, make it easy to access everything! Ford was very smart in the fact they made sure the aftermarket had a good selection of parts in place when the new Mustang came out . It made a great selling point . Who wants to have a cookie cutter car that has virtually nothing available for it?
Old 12-08-2005, 09:39 AM
Staging Lane

i heard it's gonna be like the old days.. Base->SS->Z28.. which is fine by me

as for IRS.. have GTO or C5/6 owners had problems with their IRS? this isnt a ford we are talking about.. i havent heard of any of them switching to live axle
Old 12-08-2005, 09:40 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by badjuju342
I would definitely buy this car but the main thing of importance is to keep it as easy to service & mod as possible. The Camaro has always been a car enthusiasts can not leave bone stock in the past, make it easy to access everything! Ford was very smart in the fact they made sure the aftermarket had a good selection of parts in place when the new Mustang came out . It made a great selling point . Who wants to have a cookie cutter car that has virtually nothing available for it?
totally agreed, if they havent done that they need to spend the next 3 years gearing up
Old 12-08-2005, 09:47 AM
12 Second Club

Well its not that bad but I think it needs to get rid of the body line that stretches from the front fender the the back of the door and just round the thing up a touch camaros have always had a rounded look to them and this one looks a touch squarish to me but im probly nit picking its starting to grow on me already...

Where the hell is the rear bumper? it looks like the *** is sticking up in the rear..

The exhausts looks bad, I think it would look better with oval or round PIPES not just pretty tips but PIPES...

the mirrors are just plane ugly but I think we all know they wont be in a production model anyway not to mention law sutes from kids poking there eyes out as they ride passed on there bikes..

T-tops better have some T-tops that is all...

I do like the front end and the overall design of it just round it up and give it a bumper and a rear wing or lip would look good too..

Last edited by scottyballs; 12-08-2005 at 10:01 AM.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:50 AM
12 Second Club

And for god sake let me get to the #8 spark plug without dislocating fingers to get to it, give me a ring gear bigger then 7.5" and just make the car mod friendly and ill be happy

and what is the deal with the watermark? its hard to get a good look at it with that crap all over it!

Last edited by scottyballs; 12-08-2005 at 10:05 AM.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:01 AM
Staging Lane

i relaly like the way therear is set up.. i like the tips, i like the "*** in the air" look

i'm iffy about those taillights though.. not a huge fan
Old 12-08-2005, 10:11 AM
Teching In

I am not too particular on the taillights also, other then that, the car look awesome.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Those tail light have to go IMO. As long as it has a STOUT solid axle in the rear (no more of this 10-bolt crap), then I think it will do quite well.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:14 AM
Staging Lane

i wouldnt be upset if they kept those taillights, but i think they could do better
Old 12-08-2005, 10:17 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Originally Posted by FireStorm
i heard it's gonna be like the old days.. Base->SS->Z28.. which is fine by me
That would be the right thing to do, but I don't see it happening. Only us true enthusiasts would care to see the Z28 restored to its "badboy" racing heritage. 99% of the rest of the automotive buyers could care less. With all the money GM has spent promoting the "SS" as their top of the line, and slapping "SS" on everything from Cobalts to Silverados, I have to think the "SS" Camaro will still be the premium package too.

as for IRS.. have GTO or C5/6 owners had problems with their IRS? this isnt a ford we are talking about.. i havent heard of any of them switching to live axle
Quite a few of both have snapped those half-shafts on the IRS cars, even in stock form. You also don't see GTOs or Corvettes yanking the front tires at the drag strips and cutting killer 60' times.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:23 AM
12 Second Club

I would have to agree the solid rear would be a nice option 12 bolt ofcourse

Quick Reply: 5th Gen Camaro picture - and feedback