Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

SLP and the SS Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 07:06 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default SLP and the SS Camaro

EDIT 3/7/2009 - There is GREAT information in this thread and in the linked thread on CamaroZ28, just keep in mind that it was started over 3 years ago and I had a stick in my butt against SLP (and I'm not sure why). So, read up and become a SLP knowledge master

Would you even want SLP touching the 5th gen? I wouldn't, and I'll tell you why. So, here is an interesting link I have been posting in on Camaroz28.com. Scott Settlemire is posting and replying to many questions. I am drilling them pretty hard though to get some answers and to open minds. Check it out!

New link (post IB): http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/2010...vement-414655/

Old link (dead) http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=414655

It's mostly gone back to the "purpose" of the 4th gen SS. It's a very good read and good thread to watch.

Last edited by demonspeed; 06-13-2012 at 08:48 AM. Reason: updated link
Old 12-14-2005, 12:18 PM
DSG
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Isnt the cart being put in front of the horse??

GM has to decide to make the Camaro first.
Old 12-14-2005, 01:00 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

I don't see why people dislike SLP for the SS. Chevrolet told them what to build, they were just subcontractors. I've had no problems with the SLP add-on gear on both of the SS's I've owned.

By the way......little known fact that we never were allowed to talk about. A 1999 Camaro SS with 1LE suspension was marginally faster on a road course than a 1999 C5 Corvette with Z51 suspension. Our own engineers would prove it at Milford and in Nevada.
That cracks me up, I've also heard that "little known fact" before
(my 99 SS with the Bilstein package handles quiet nicely)
Old 12-14-2005, 01:05 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

I don't really know where my disdain came from with SLP. I guess I just didn't understand why GM couldn't do it themselves. Honestly though, I guess that really doesn't matter. As my opinions were posted, I don't really feel anymore that it was SLP's fault for the way the SS was made - especially after reading Scott's comments. I now don't have annimosity towards SLP Engineering, rather SLP Performance

But we've all heard the problems with the horrible chrome on their wheels, the over priced parts, the headers than hang horribly low, the message board, etc... I also hate that "Keep your SLP car all SLP". Ugh... I don't know what's worse though - SLP for saying that, or people for actually falling for it. All in all though, I'm going to try and have a better attitude because they support our hobby

As I mentioned, I'm not really arguing about SLP's involvement of the 4th gen SS, just trying to see why they did it the way they did and where they can go in the future to make it more "elite" so to speak - hence my constant comparison to SVT and SVTOA.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:31 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
I don't see why people dislike SLP for the SS. Chevrolet told them what to build, they were just subcontractors.
Agreed. GM cars are full of parts produced at non-GM plants. That's really not much different than having parts installed by a non-GM "assembly line".
Old 12-15-2005, 10:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have never had a problem with SLP. The "SS" parts have all been fine, and the exhaust, lid, and CAGS bypass all worked very well. They were even very helpful over the phone. I wish I had kept my SLP lid honestly. It was built out of much better material than most of the other aftermarket lids.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to say something on this.I read alot of hate posts on SLP.Jeez, I dont get it.A company that takes SS's and Firebirds and makes them perform & handle better and even approved by GM???? I really dont get it.I have had lots of personal dealings with SLP.I own a Firehawk and my dad owns a Firehawk.Their products work and they are reasonably priced.Maybe I have had good luck,I dont know.I just dont understand everybodys hate for SLP.Am I missing something?
Old 12-15-2005, 01:13 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

I can honestly say my attitude about SLP has changed since that thread. I learned a lot. Some stuff bothers me, but I'm not going to go bash SLP like I might have once been inclined to do.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

youve just got to see it they way they do. its a company thats asked be gm to handle the SS package. now gm says..... no lower gears, no headers, no this and no that as gm has to think about many things like. is the car using to much gas? is it dependable? is it dangerous to people etc.... this was the resault. its not like GM said to SLP, "hey you handle the SS package and just go wild!"

IMO the camaro sub names shuld stand a bitt diferent like so

Camaro Base V6
Camaro base looking V8
Camaro Z/28 - what the SS is today
Camaro SS wild thing like the GT-500 mustang. something that GM has made realy special
Old 12-15-2005, 03:39 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Well, I'm going to refute most of my dislike against SLP. Now that I know the facts, I respect what Ed and his crew did. Sucks that some of the stuff happened that did (ie: the message board), and that their Performance Parts are sometimes not up to par (long tubes, chrome wheels).

I'm usually the one that pulls out the "Ignorance is the worst for of stupidity", but I think I got the best of myself
Old 12-15-2005, 08:10 PM
TECH Resident

A lot of good info in that thread. Thanks.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Camaro Base V6
Camaro base looking V8
Camaro Z/28 - what the SS is today
Camaro SS wild thing like the GT-500 mustang. something that GM has made realy special
I agree with that 100%..... the SS needs to stand for what it did in the 1960's
Old 12-16-2005, 08:30 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I have zero problems with SLP. I've been buying parts from them for many years now, always a satisfied customer, always happy with the parts. On two occasions (out of probably 20+ orders), there have been shipping errors on their part, but these were resolved quickly at no cost to me.

Personally, I like SLP.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:19 PM
11 Second Club

Wow, I thought demonspeed would be the last person in the world to ever say something good about SLP
Old 12-17-2005, 02:26 AM
TECH Addict

I've had my Firehawk wheels for a few years now and the chrome is perfect.

No problems with customer service except that they seem to drag their feet in getting orders out the door. Patience helps. FWIW.
Old 12-17-2005, 09:15 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by 02 Camaro SS
Wow, I thought demonspeed would be the last person in the world to ever say something good about SLP
Old 03-06-2009, 08:18 PM
TECH Addict

I think it was great what Ed did with the 4th gen cars. I do think SLP should address some quality issues with some of their products and I also think at time some of their products are a little over rated but overall I think they make good stuff and have good customer service.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:23 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

No problems with SLP here. SLP in my opinion should have gone even further and been like the AMG of Benz.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:34 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

I hope everyone realizes this thread is over 3 years old
Old 03-06-2009, 08:51 PM
TECH Junkie

"I hope everyone realizes this thread is over 3 years old"

Noticed that...but good info anyway.

W

Quick Reply: SLP and the SS Camaro