Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Finished up my truck manifold turbo set up..

Old 12-14-2005, 07:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Finished up my truck manifold turbo set up..

Well today me and the Pops got things all welded up on my spare block and heads today. Came out pretty good, we reused(cut out) all the bends from my crossover from my "other" kit. This helped out on my wallet.....can't be spending too much on the car around Christmas

We ran out of light but we will get it all mounted up tomorrow.
Things left to do:
Figure out what to do about the powersteering hoses....
Wrap the crossover with header wrap
Re route DP, looks like it will have to move over 1inch and be lengthed about 2.5 inches.
Bend the oil dipstick to fit the truck manifolds.

LOOOOOOOKIE AT THAT PLUG ACCESS ITS FRIGGEN AWESOME!!!!IT OWNZ!!!!!

These were 4.8L truck manifolds that I found here on the board.

J
Old 12-14-2005, 07:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dude that is friggin sweet... =) How long did it take to weld those up?? I'm curious to how much power you're going to make out of that thing...
Old 12-14-2005, 07:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get two of these. If you go to stenods galleries or NA$TY's thread here.. https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...=420923&page=1

You will see that inbetween the manifold or header and the y pipe they use a flex section...

I would use one on the downpipe as well... It allows for differences in movement between the parts without stressing the welds or tubing.

Last edited by V8_DSM_V8again; 12-14-2005 at 07:53 PM.
Old 12-14-2005, 07:47 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

looks good.very simple and i bet itll flow very well!
Old 12-14-2005, 07:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by V8_DSM_V8again
Get two of these. If you go to stenods galleries or NA$TY's thread here.. You will see that inbetwen the manifold or header and the y pipe they use a flex section...

I would use one on the downpipe as well... It allows for differences in movement between the parts without stressing the welds or tubing.

Thanks.....got one...

Don't feel the need for flex sections with the CAST manifolds. They are tons stronger than the tubular headers that I had on the car/my old turbo set up.

This is my second turbo set up.

If the truck manifolds ever crack...no biggie they are cheap and plentiful, if my pipes crack no biggie I got my trusty mig right here. The crossover is short and plenty strong, its all stainless too.

-----------

98turbLS1, Sup, you new to the FI section? If so welcome...I haven't seen that screen name..but i've been off the board a lot.
I only want 550-600hp...just enough to get me my 10 second pass up here in Albuquerque. It'll be capable of more and the engine is built for more, but thats all I want.

J

Last edited by frcefed98; 12-14-2005 at 08:23 PM.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:01 PM
01z
TECH Regular

that is bad ***
Old 12-14-2005, 08:06 PM
TECH Resident

OK...

You got one on the DP that is smart...

I'll probaly need a few on the truck.. Has to have exhaust tucked up high in the frame and twin tips that protrude thru each fiberglass box side.. The tips have to stay stationary with the box etc..

The way that thing will get wailed on its a completely different ball game..
Old 12-14-2005, 08:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

DD, Thanks man, its a better replacement to what I had previously on the car. No more problems with the low crossover pipe, oil drain back or plug access/plug wires frying etc etc... We all know the truck manifolds will put down the power so I'm not worried about that at all. Hopefully it'll spool a lil faster now too Hey I got a question for you...what do you think about this cam for a turbo set up?230/228 595/585 114 LSA I can get it for free so i'm thinkin about it.

01Z Thanks Hopefully it'll be the end to my turbo woes.
J
Old 12-14-2005, 08:10 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thumbs up

Looks cool!! Having an extra engine floating around sure makes custom fabrication work a hell of a lot easier doesn't it? Can't wait for that ride, i'll bring a extra change of underwear just in case...
Old 12-14-2005, 08:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

V8 DSM, you def got post pics of your truck project it sounds like its going to be killer. Can't wait to see some teaser pics. I was going to do flex sections on my old kits crossover, but I just decided to axe it and go with the truck manifolds and be done with it.
J

Last edited by frcefed98; 12-14-2005 at 08:23 PM.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:14 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by frcefed98
DD, Thanks man, its a better replacement to what I had previously on the car. No more problems with the low crossover pipe, oil drain back or plug access/plug wires frying etc etc... We all know the truck manifolds will put down the power so I'm not worried about that at all. Hopefully it'll spool a lil faster now too Hey I got a question for you...what do you think about this cam for a turbo set up?230/228 595/585 114 LSA I can get it for free so i'm thinkin about it.

J
I'll crunch some numbers..

The data in your sig is the block specs right?

What is the A/R on the turbine housing?
Old 12-14-2005, 08:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Tall Guy
Looks cool!! Having an extra engine floating around sure makes custom fabrication work a hell of a lot easier doesn't it? Can't wait for that ride, i'll bring a extra change of underwear just in case...
Glad you posted up Brian, you freaked me out that night I was fogging up the garage with paint.....turned around and see a 7ft tall person right behind me
LOL I'm glad I kept the ol 98 block, I was going to sell it but running boost and all...its just safer to have a spare lying around...just in case
It made this lil project A TON easier, plus my Dad helping me out..my bro was MIA...ERIC WHERE ARE YOU

I drive like a grandma so no worries bout messing yourself on the test drive
Old 12-14-2005, 08:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

1.10 A/R I think...i'll have to check on that and yep all the info in my sig is current
Old 12-14-2005, 08:34 PM
12 Second Club

Hey man, im interested to see what your doing with your radiator/fans. Did you cut up the radiator support like others?
Old 12-14-2005, 08:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Stock location for the radiator, I've been running a set of FAL dual 12 pushers for about 5 years if not longer.....they've been through 4 FI set ups and still are going strong I will be cutting up the radiator support this spring. I'll be running the same radiator as Kyle. But the turbo fits inbetween the radiator and front of the engine just fine...barely.
J
Old 12-14-2005, 08:41 PM
TECH Resident

1.10 A/R I think...i'll have to check on that and yep all the info in my sig is current
I'll do a little PC sim for ya..

As for insulation

Turbo Wrap
http://www.designengineering.com/pro...sp?m=sp&pid=31

Heat screen
http://www.designengineering.com/pro...asp?m=sc&cid=7

Basic Wrap
http://www.designengineering.com/pro...asp?m=sc&cid=3

They have plug wire sleeves. Hose sleeves.. All sorts of stuff..

Last edited by V8_DSM_V8again; 12-14-2005 at 08:47 PM.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:55 PM
10 Second Club

J
Hey Jer....ill let V8Dsm do the sims but just looking at the numbers you have 1 degree of overlap which is good.the LSA is where you want it and the lift might or might not be a lil too high depending on what your heads flow.What do they flow btw if you know.If its free id get it but what cam do you have now?The duration might be a bit higher than what you need but ull just peak higher...and its a reverse split which is good with those manifolds.i think its good.im gonna need your help when my stuff goes on like how to shim the alternator cause ive got the same bracket as u do from the same person
Old 12-14-2005, 09:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

My old monster stage 3 blower grind 233/244 .578/.602 on a 115 LSA. I think i'll go for it, its free so it can't hurt.

The heads flowed pretty well but i've forgotten what the numbers were...been a long time since I had em done....i'm old

V8 DSM, I have tons of heat wrap from my old set up that i'll be reusing...its still good so thats some money save. I also have a heat shield for the exhaust housing on the the GT42, it works decently. My PS lines I had wrapped but it looks like i'll have to go custom with those. Thanks for the links tho, i'll be needing some plug wire shields and more sheathing for other odds and ends.
J
Old 12-14-2005, 09:05 PM
10 Second Club

yeah id swap it out for the other 1.hey i think itd be sweet to dyno now and then dyno again with the other cam to see the difference in peak and area under the curve!
Old 12-14-2005, 09:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah that is a good idea. I'm not really in a rush to do a cam now that its cold. I'll get the smaller cam and swap it in this spring and get it dyno'ed with that one. I really want to get it dyno'ed now. Rick@Synergy is helping me do a 2 bar tune for my car so it'll be soon for some dyno time.
J

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Finished up my truck manifold turbo set up..