Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Everyone seems to hate us.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 03:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Everyone seems to hate us.

Not sure why, but there is alot of anti-GTO feelings on this board. Especially from the F-Body guys.

In the kills section they have this LT1 beats LS2 GTO nonesense in there. They are treating us like SRT-4 guys treat everyone else.

Your thoughts?
Old 01-05-2006, 04:27 PM
Staging Lane

Not so sure I would use strong words like hate, but it certainly not love either. I can also understand because it is not clear how GM Plans to market its pony cars to the consternation of buyers and loyal customers out there.
Old 01-05-2006, 04:41 PM

The GTO is an import! Therefore all GTO drivers are ricers!
Old 01-05-2006, 04:47 PM
Teching In

I agree, i've also noticed that everybody with an 05 seems to think the 04 won't get out of its own way. But a lot of guys such as myself chose to save about 10k
Old 01-05-2006, 04:49 PM
On The Tree

this is completely false. In the kills section its not about hate, its about believing that a lt1 beat a GTO.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:33 PM
Banned

The hardcore Fbody guys don't like anything but Fbodies. Either way everyone that has taken a spin in my car loves it. Yes it's an improt so what? It's a better built car, with nicer interior IMO. Yes it weighs 400 or so pounds more than the Fbodies, but I would rather have a steel car than a plastic/fiberglass car anyways. The best part is when I shut my door my windows don't rattle! Not saying I don't like Fbodies, I just don't see myself going back to one after having this car.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:50 PM
TECH Resident

I agree abiet I own a ws6 I do see alot of gto bashing, as for the it being an import my f-body came from Canada so go figure.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:28 PM
8 Second Club

True f-bodys were built in canada so no one has the right to call a GTO an Import unless they want to consider an F-body an Improt as well. It kinda reminds me of the shelby cobra, british design with a detroit engine.

I also dont like the look of GTOs.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:36 PM
Launching!

two completely different cars so the owners are gonna be very different..
GTO is an understated refined australian grand tourer and the Camarobirds are old school,scooped,spoilered,creaking,long beaked ,etc.
If the GTO had extra scoops,vents,bulging hoods with a big screaming chicken decal on it Im sure they would love the GTO.
Let them enjoy their bs stories and out of production cars.
PS: In case you cant tell ,. I dont like the look of camarobirds ..
Old 01-05-2006, 08:55 PM
Teching In

this coming from a ford guy (former GM guy) may be insignificant, but perhaps it can shed a different point of view.

when i was younger, i dreamed of owning a trans am. period. that was all. after many frustrating attempts at getting a Z28 (yes my tastes changed, but not much ) i got so aggravated i simply gave up, and looked to the blue oval. i cant lie, its nice on the blue oval side. while not as big or fast, there is definitely a heritage there. anyways, back to topic...

i also said, that if, IF, in my lifetime GM EVER brought the GTO back, i would be one of the first in line with a deposit (the movie my science project sold me on the GTO)...and when i heard that it was actually gonna happen my heart skipped a beat, cause i was already driving an 11 second daily driven 01 mustang GT.

but then my fears subsided, because what my mind pictures when i hear "GTO" and what GM gave us just do not mix. i dont think the GTO is ugly....it just doesnt make my pulse rise. it doesnt look mean...and yes, honestly the first 3-4 i saw i thought they were Grand Prix's until i got a closer look.

the GTO (like the deceased F twins) has a world class powerplant and drivetrain in a great car...it just needs something else. ive had many people say "id love to get a GTO...i just wouldnt want to be seen driving it. It looks too much like a Grand Am or Grand Prix." Different strokes for different strokes, but for someone like me who respects both the GM and Ford side of the house i just cant justify spending the $$ on the car when i know i wont be 100% happy (the looks).

in my new 05 GT mustang i get thumbs up, i have kids poking their heads out the window staring...i have people come up and ask me about my car in parking lots...total strangers. and not car guys. just normal people that the car really captures their eye and imagination. thats the kind of response the GTO SHOULD illicit, but doesnt. and thats really sad, because i know its a great car, its just missing that ONE thing.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:05 PM
Launching!

dunno,,when I picked up my car in NJ on drive back to Fla I had people asking about it everytime I filled up and even had an big rig driver STOP traffic to ask me about the car.. hasnt stopped since,,in fact its a lot more than I expected.
Some people go for class , some go for the "show off" style looks..
I choose class.
I agree it should NEVER have been called a GTO,,that bring back memories of breadbox shaped cars which this definately is not. They should have kept the Holden name and the Holden front bumper and not stuck all the silly pontiac crap on it.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Firehawk0220
In the kills section they have this LT1 beats LS2 GTO nonesense in there. They are treating us like SRT-4 guys treat everyone else.
I found that funny. I guess anything can happen on the street

Originally Posted by KungFuHamster
in my new 05 GT mustang i get thumbs up, i have kids poking their heads out the window staring...i have people come up and ask me about my car in parking lots...total strangers. and not car guys. just normal people that the car really captures their eye and imagination.
I actually get that all the time in the GTO. The stock exhaust note and "6.0" badge plays a big role in why the car gets attention tho. Mustangs are a dime a dozen around here...they sure sell like hotcakes.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:18 PM
8 Second Club

well said KungFuHamster, it doesn't have the image of a muscle car, its more of a sophisticated euro car. Kinda like an M3 and for me that doesn't cut it. Oh and HTRDLNCN, Nive 60' time
Old 01-05-2006, 09:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS1SpeedAddict
I also dont like the look of GTOs.
no offense taken after looking at those rims in your sig
Old 01-05-2006, 09:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS1SpeedAddict
it doesn't have the image of a muscle car, its more of a sophisticated euro car.
Oh and HTRDLNCN, Nive 60' time
your right on the image, thats why i dont think they should have named it GTO.
thanks on the 60ft but the car did all the hard work
Old 01-05-2006, 09:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by silver/red
I agree, i've also noticed that everybody with an 05 seems to think the 04 won't get out of its own way. But a lot of guys such as myself chose to save about 10k
I haven't really seen that at all - in fact I see it the other way around (or I DID, now that they can fix their f-ed up tune it'll change a little)
Old 01-05-2006, 10:12 PM
11 Second Club

Are you serving tea and crumpets later htrdlncn?Laugh now cause there will be a camaro in 09 and guess what,there will be no redesign of the GTO because....... newsflash.....they don't sell.Guess their to "refined" and "classy".
Old 01-05-2006, 10:19 PM
Launching!

there will be honda civics in 09 too, so what?

They dont sell?
Just like the rest of the uninformed masses I guess you dont realize
that because of the capacity of the Holden plant they COULD NOT build any more GTOs. Before they started selling to Pontiac they were only making 4-5000 Monaros a year. Its a very limited production car over there.
The low numbers have NOTHING to do with sales. the Holden plant was physically INCAPABLE of building anymore. The current model was ALWAYS planned as a small 3 year run because Holden had ALREADY been building the car for 4 years thus they were ALREADY planning to discontinue the current model BEFORE pontiac stepped in and slapped their crap on it to resell it in the US. In fact the car (monaro) has already been discontinued there this year to get ready for the new Holden models in a year or two.

But to know that you would actually have to find out about facts before you repeat what other people have told you.

Last edited by HTRDLNCN; 01-05-2006 at 10:27 PM.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by glennster
Are you serving tea and crumpets later htrdlncn?Laugh now cause there will be a camaro in 09 and guess what,there will be no redesign of the GTO because....... newsflash.....they don't sell.Guess their to "refined" and "classy".
Can you remind us why they stopped building fbodies?

EDIT: btw, I don't consider GTO's classy - pretty weird imo to consider them classy. A very built solid car with a great drivetrain - yes, classy - No.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:28 PM
Launching!

Compared to an Fbody I do consider them classy.
Just my opinion on that though..

Quick Reply: Everyone seems to hate us.