Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

VIBRATION ON HIGHWAY ?...come inside

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 11:59 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry VIBRATION ON HIGHWAY ?...come inside

alright, im having a vibration problem at highway speeds starts up around 80-85mph. it seems to get a lil worse the faster you go. I have had the wheels and tires balanced, switched wheels and tires....not the problem. I took the driveshaft out and had it balanced. The place that blanced it replaced the rear U joint and said that the shaft was also out of balance. So i put the balanced driveshaft back in...seemed to help, but still same problem exists. I have seen a lot of threads with people having the same problem of vibration at upper highway speeds, so I know im not the only one having this problem. Everyone who has or had this problem, what have you tried to do to fix it or what did you do if you fixed the problem. There has to be something in common that seems to fail on these cars if so many people are having similar problems....so lets figure it out !
Old 01-14-2006, 01:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Same prob here, I couldn't solve it either. Replaced, ujoints, balanced the driveshaft, balanced the wheels 3 times. Still does it from 80-90mph.

Old 01-14-2006, 02:46 PM
Breakfast Fanatic

Axle bearings.
Old 01-14-2006, 04:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by frcefed98
Same prob here, I couldn't solve it either. Replaced, ujoints, balanced the driveshaft, balanced the wheels 3 times. Still does it from 80-90mph.

thats exactly where mines at....and it seems to stay there 90+ too

just curious what gears do you have in your rear end ?

Originally Posted by Pewter02TA
Axle bearings.
is this what fixed your problem ?
Old 01-14-2006, 04:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How much does it cost to balance a driveshaft? I might need to do mine. I have a vibration also. I've replaced my axle bearings, pinion bearings, and carrier bearings. It sure quieted down the noise from the worn out bearings, but I still have the slight vibration.....maybe I installed the driveshaft wrong (not in the same position on the u-joints).....????
Old 01-14-2006, 04:35 PM
On The Tree

it shouldnt matter which way you install the drive shaft. I took mine off the car and just took the driveshaft in it cost about $30 to get it balanced, but it ended up costing me $67 cause they replaced the rear U joint too
Old 01-14-2006, 04:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I know the U-joints are good, I changed them not too long ago trying to figure out what was making a rumbling noise. I had just heard that you should mark which way it came out and make sure it is installed that same way or it might cause a wobble. I dunno. If that's not the case, I probably need to have it balanced.
Old 01-14-2006, 06:12 PM
On The Tree

what does it feel like when your tranny starts to go out....sometimes my car seems like it has problems picking what gear to go into. If you have a tranny on the way out could it cause vibration? Also I looked under the car today and it looks as though my torque arm is bent so i dont know if that could be c ontributing to the vibration im getting or not....any one else have ideas of what it could be
Old 01-15-2006, 11:22 AM
TECH Regular

I have the same problem, no answers for ya. I'm going to try and get an adjustable torque arm and try and set different angles for the pinion to see if that helps. Did you notice the problem when you lowered the car? I think that is when my problems started. I have done the same things you have to fix the problems, even new wheel bearings and axles.
Old 01-15-2006, 01:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Have you guys checked both forward and rear pinion angles?
Old 01-15-2006, 05:49 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Foxxton
Have you guys checked both forward and rear pinion angles?
Good ?
Old 01-15-2006, 05:54 PM
Breakfast Fanatic

I got a new driveshaft, tires rebalenced, realined, and tryed another torque arm......still had the really bad shake on the freeway and it was only getting worse, but when you would hit the brakes hard u could hear a little tick in the rearend....and that was the only thing left to check, and it totally fixed it.

Drives wonderfull now.
Old 01-15-2006, 06:01 PM
On The Tree

Mike, i read through another thread you posted about this problem before. I have been searching this forum for an answer to this problem for months now. to answer your question yes, my problems seemed to start when i lowered the car. Like i said i looked under the car as best i could the other day and it seems like my TA is bent somewhat so i dont know if that could be it or not. I too am going to try and adj TA, especially now that it seems mine is bent

Pewter, what exactly happened to the rear end on your car? What did you do to it that fixed the problem ?
Old 01-15-2006, 06:16 PM
Breakfast Fanatic

My first 10bolt broke and i bought a complete used one not knowing how many miles were on it.....but it was prolly alot ever since i put it in i kinda shook.....i just pulled the axles out and put all new bearings in...and all new fluid. BOOM fixed
Old 01-15-2006, 06:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 5.7LoFuN
to answer your question yes, my problems seemed to start when i lowered the car
Mine did the same thing.... lowered it and now have a vibration at 80+. Havent gotten around to checking the pinion angle yet.
Old 01-15-2006, 08:58 PM
On The Tree

yeah, i know a lot of people are having this problem, but nothing seems to fix it. As far as the 10 bolt goes, i cant imagine that being the problem since the car only has 46k miles on it and it hardly sees the track (even if it does its on street tires), but i guess it wouldnt hurt to check it out. Maybe an adj TA will do the trick. There must be something that gets thrown off when the car is lowered that needs to be corrected.
Old 01-15-2006, 09:10 PM
12 Second Club

If you guys have aftermarket exhaust you might check to make sure its not that I have heard that can cause it. Mine shakes between 65-75 but after 75 it goes away. It didnt start till I had a new flexplate put in.......I thought it might be that but I dont think my car would still runn if it was.....I had noticed the shop had my car on the lift sitting on my side pipes......I guess I will take them off and just do a y pipe with a turndown and see if that fixes it......
Old 01-15-2006, 09:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Pewter02TA
My first 10bolt broke and i bought a complete used one not knowing how many miles were on it.....but it was prolly alot ever since i put it in i kinda shook.....i just pulled the axles out and put all new bearings in...and all new fluid. BOOM fixed

BEARINGS, BEARINGS, BEARINGS! It seems that everyone is checking everything except their bearings, maybe a couple of people. Just becuase you checked something doesn't mean you couldn't have missed something. Someone said they fixed the problem that others had, and no one even flinched. I think it can't hurt! It may not be everyones fix but Save yourself a headache, check it again.

BTW, you are ALWAYS supposed to mark a drivershaft before removing it so that it goes back into the same splines. Just good measure to mark both ends.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I really don't see how worn bearings could cause a wobble. I mean, you would have to have worn the bejesus out of them, I would think. And the noise would've gotten on your nerves so much before that point that you would've replaced them anyways. Just my 2 cents.
And I thought I had heard of marking the driveshaft. Would that cause any problems if it was installed in the wrong way?
Old 01-15-2006, 11:05 PM
On The Tree

yeah, i have never heard of marking it (not saying your wrong) i even asked the guy at the driveshaft place who all they do is custom driveshafts and he said just slide it back in there. I would also like to know what problems could arise from not putting it in the same exact way...dosnt make sense to me how it would make a difference. ( once again not saying your wrong)

Quick Reply: VIBRATION ON HIGHWAY ?...come inside