Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Looks like LS7 clutch can hold some power

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 07:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Looks like LS7 clutch can hold some power

http://www.horsepowerengineering.com/media/ZO6NOS.wmv I cant wait to get mine in
Old 01-17-2006, 09:41 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I could be wrong, but id be willing to bet thats not the stock LS7 clutch in there.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:50 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by _HAVOC_
I could be wrong, but id be willing to bet thats not the stock LS7 clutch in there.
It actually is. I already asked that question.

It is still holding, but I don't think you'd be seeing the same thing getting a fat little F-body off the line with that clutch...
Old 01-17-2006, 10:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow!! that things is crazy!!!
Old 01-17-2006, 11:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 880 Posts

Running a car on a chassis dyno and launching one on drag tires are very different. Just because a clutch hold on a dyno doesn't mean it will hold at the track with traction.

Andrew
Old 01-17-2006, 04:34 PM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Running a car on a chassis dyno and launching one on drag tires are very different. Just because a clutch hold on a dyno doesn't mean it will hold at the track with traction.

Andrew
Correct,

I'll give you an example I am aware of. Textralia's testing was done with Robby Bolger's 4 door (crewman) Drift Ute which is on the order of 6000 lbs. It made ~1200RWHP, and did tons of dyno testing.

But, that clutch has been tested at the dragstrip on cars making 700 RWHP, thus you see them rate the clutch at ~700RWHP. The real test of the LS7 clutch will be to see what it does on the track, or see it hook somewhere with some sticky tires. You could realistically probably get away with a Ls6 clutch on the dyno. But when you get on the street it would get ugly. A real test of the LS7 clutch would be if HPE to move it over one bay to the Mustang load dyno they have and see if it'll hold. HPE hold the distinction in Houston for having both a dynojet and a Mustang Dyno which is great for testing and comparison.

I also agree that it will be interesting to see what it does in a heavier F-Body with some tires and suspension.

It is also good to note that clutches are normally rated based on torque capacity not sheer HP. On the sales side, thats how they are sold since most folks relate better to peak HP, and not peak Tq.

I do applaud HPE for the videos, and for making things exciting in the LS7 world. Its good to see shops push the envelope. I'm interested to see what will happen when shops can tune the current PCM like the current Ls1/Ls6 market.

Last edited by J-Rod; 01-17-2006 at 04:42 PM.
Old 01-17-2006, 07:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

wll when you get it with a sudden shock like that and it dosnt slip thats got to be good

Quick Reply: Looks like LS7 clutch can hold some power