Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Underdrive Pulley for M6 car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 11:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Underdrive Pulley for M6 car?

What pulley is replaced for an M6 car: crank and alternator or just crank? What is the best underdrive pulley? I've heard ASP is best b/c it is lightest. Is it good? I've heard that they sometimes throw belts. What are hp gains? (i've heard 5-10rwhp).
Old 02-18-2006, 11:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the SLP/powerbond, and it won't throw belts.
Old 02-18-2006, 11:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You will just need an underdrive crank pulley unless you have a big stereo system. If you do have a big stereo system then you might want to get an overdrive alternator pulley along with the underdrive crank pulley. I have the Powerbond pulley on my car, and like it a little better than the ASP.
Old 02-18-2006, 11:46 PM
11 Second Club

Stick with crank only.

I am happy with my SLP underdrive pulley, but I don't see a problem with an ASP or even March as many people are using them with no problems.

Gains are typically around 0.1 and 1 mph in the 1/4.
Old 02-18-2006, 11:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Another vote for Powerbond.... SLP is the same pulley as the Powerbond.
Old 02-18-2006, 11:52 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98camaroLS1M6
What pulley is replaced for an M6 car: crank and alternator or just crank? What is the best underdrive pulley? I've heard ASP is best b/c it is lightest. Is it good? I've heard that they sometimes throw belts. What are hp gains? (i've heard 5-10rwhp).
look at this

Originally Posted by BackinBlack02SS
The ATI super damper is probably the best as far as dampening goes, but it is only available up to a 10% underdrive. The March fluid filled damper isn't very far behind in dampening ability and when you consider that the fluid is not rotational weight, is also pretty light. The SLP/Powerbond has tall walls to help prevent thrown belts. The ASP is probably the lightest out of the bunch, but is not known for it dampening ability. It's your decision, but I tend to lean towards the March damper as the best all around underdrive damper IMO.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by prostock_bigblock
look at this

Originally Posted by [b
BackinBlack02SS[/b]]The ATI super damper is probably the best as far as dampening goes, but it is only available up to a 10% underdrive. The March fluid filled damper isn't very far behind in dampening ability and when you consider that the fluid is not rotational weight, is also pretty light. The SLP/Powerbond has tall walls to help prevent thrown belts. The ASP is probably the lightest out of the bunch, but is not known for it dampening ability. It's your decision, but I tend to lean towards the March damper as the best all around underdrive damper IMO.
Just for clarification, the problems with thrown belts has alot less to do with the pulley itself. Usually it's the a worn out belt tensioner that causes those problems.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default Underdrive Pulleys?

I'm happy with my SLP and Katech tensioner setup.
Old 02-19-2006, 01:37 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by WILWAXU
Just for clarification, the problems with thrown belts has alot less to do with the pulley itself. Usually it's the a worn out belt tensioner that causes those problems.
exactly .
Old 02-19-2006, 01:40 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by sunsetta
I'm happy with my SLP and Katech tensioner setup.
How much did that setup run you?

Thanks,
Old 02-19-2006, 02:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm happy with my ASP. Had it on for 8 months now with many WOT runs and have't lost a belt yet.
Old 02-19-2006, 02:19 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

March here, runs good, no belts thrown.
Old 02-19-2006, 02:24 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by WILWAXU

While I agree with you, the taller walls of the SLP/powerbond will keep the belt from walking even if the tensioner isn't doing it's job quite like it should.
Old 02-19-2006, 02:52 PM
12 Second Club

what exactly is the use of an underdrive pulley? And can someone explain the dampening of it?

I always heard they were a waste of time but seeing that noone in here has said anything bad about them, wouldnt mind looking into and learning what they are about.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JonB
I'm happy with my ASP. Had it on for 8 months now with many WOT runs and have't lost a belt yet.
Seconded.
Old 02-20-2006, 04:37 PM
Ric
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FBodyPerformer
what exactly is the use of an underdrive pulley? And can someone explain the dampening of it?

I always heard they were a waste of time but seeing that noone in here has said anything bad about them, wouldnt mind looking into and learning what they are about.
It's basically a "lower gear" for your belt accessories. They won't spin as fast, but they'll still perform fine, and the "lower gear" effect frees up as much as 10 or so hp. Sort of like the difference in nailing the throttle in 1st, and nailing it in 6th, though not that extreme.

Dampening is the action of controlling harmful engine vibrations, usually with a soft or fluid mass that will absorb those harmonic vibrations.

If you have a piece of steel bar sitting around, pick it up and hit it with a hammer. It'll ring like crazy till you grab hold if it. That same ringing will tear an engine apart if left unchecked. Thus, the crank pulley doubles as a harmonic dampener, much like your hand grabbing that ringing piece of steel.
Old 02-22-2006, 10:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Wink

Originally Posted by Redneck Z
While I agree with you, the taller walls of the SLP/powerbond will keep the belt from walking even if the tensioner isn't doing it's job quite like it should.
I've seen different
Old 02-22-2006, 11:31 PM
Launching!

If you have a piece of steel bar sitting around, pick it up and hit it with a hammer. It'll ring like crazy till you grab hold if it. That same ringing will tear an engine apart if left unchecked. Thus, the crank pulley doubles as a harmonic dampener, much like your hand grabbing that ringing piece of steel.[/QUOTE]

good analogy, A+! haha
Old 02-23-2006, 10:58 PM
10 Second Club

ASP Crank and Alternator pulley on my car for the past 4 years. No problems yet!

M6 car!
Old 02-23-2006, 11:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm throwing a March Pulley on my car in a week and a half. Can't wait to see if there's a SOTP gain or not.