Special Edition Vehicles Firehawk | SS | WS6 | Berger | Blackbird | Comp T/A

To Know if SS is Real

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 05:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default To Know if SS is Real

Before y'all start bitching at me telling me to read this , I have already read it. Now that I have that out of the way, commence bitching for any other purpose

I have found a black 1999 Chevrolet Camaro SS with the optional Hurst shifter and only 11K miles. The thread mentioned above says to look in the door jam and look for a WU8 RPO code. Where exactly would I look on the driver's side, and what does "RPO" mean? Were all of the SS edition Camaros built by SLP or was everything built by GM with a few SLP parts that GM slapped on? The car is quite a few hundred miles away from me, but I have had a friend look at it for me along with the owner taking pictures of the door jams and all of that. He test drove it for me and said it ran like a raped ape (that coming from a modified Viper owner). The car is absolutely immaculate...I could eat off of the engine compartment, no one has ever even sat in the back seats, not a scratch on the entire car...you get the idea. I have told the owner that I will purchase it, so he is holding onto it for me for another week or so (when he returns from previously planned things). I am very excited to own this car and it sure looks like an SS, but I just want to make certain. It has all of the SS badges on the exterior, SS hood, SS spoiler, SS wheels. He is the original owner and specially ordered it in '98 and received at the end of that year as a '99 model.
Any help is greatly appreciated,
Tyler

EDIT: Also, is there any type of interior badging or stitching or anything else showing that it is an SS? I have seen a few SS's that have a plaque on the dash stating that it is an SS, while I have also seen others that do not.
Old 02-19-2006, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This should help you out a little...
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...light=RPO+code
Keep in mind that you can buy decals and dash plaques, along with hoods, wheels and just about everything and make a firehawk...it will not be the real thing but you can do it. So make sure it is what the seller says that it is..
Old 02-19-2006, 09:45 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by sleepinghawk
This should help you out a little...
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...light=RPO+code
Keep in mind that you can buy decals and dash plaques, along with hoods, wheels and just about everything and make a firehawk...it will not be the real thing but you can do it. So make sure it is what the seller says that it is..
Yes I know you can just go out and make it look like one. The gentleman that owns this vehicle as of right now is a very straight-forward guy and I feel that I can trust him. I honestly do believe that it is an original SS, I am moreso just curious as to what the options are on it and all of the goodies.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:31 PM
TECH Regular

Contact SLP with the VIN, and they will tell you the options that they added to the car, and the SLP # they gave it along with the production date.
Old 02-20-2006, 04:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by spazzyfry123
I am moreso just curious as to what the options are on it and all of the goodies.
Any SLP options installed will be on the passenger side door sticker. No sticker - no options, yet it will still have the SS hood and rear spoiler.

Ask the seller if he has the shipping manifest usually found in the glove box. It list everything about the car and was required to import it from Canada. It is 'The Build Sheet', and is much more detailed then anything you can get from SLP.
Old 02-20-2006, 06:38 PM

Inside driver side door, a lot of 3 digit codes. there will be a WU8 if it is an SS. On the passenger side door there will be an SLP Options Sticker Only if it had SLP options added to the car.

Options:
Floor mats
Deck Mat
key fob
rims
dash plaque
exhaust
shocks
car cover
Old 02-20-2006, 07:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by spazzyfry123
and what does "RPO" mean?
"RPO" means Regular Prodution Option available from the factory during the production run.

Keep in mind that some RPOs are not well know and could only be had with the help of a knowledgeable GM dealer.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:56 PM
cjh
Staging Lane

To the best of my knowledge, GM in-housed SS models starting in '98 and they all have the rpo code of WU8. But if the car came with any SLP options, it would have a rpo code of Y2Y next to WU8. Those cars where shipped to SLP for the upgraded options.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:38 AM
On The Tree

So I guess mine does not have any slp options on it because I have no sticker on the pass. door. I have the WU8 code but not Y2Y code. Also I bought the car new and I did not get the build sheet with it. And there where not slp sticker either. So I guess i just got the Base SS package huh??? So could I still contact SLP for a build number?
Old 02-23-2006, 09:22 AM
TECH Regular

Get Me The Vin I'll Tell You If It Is Real,i Work At Gm Dealer.
Old 02-23-2006, 12:58 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 02SS#406
Contact SLP with the VIN, and they will tell you the options that they added to the car, and the SLP # they gave it along with the production date.
This is the way I checked mine. They also sent me my build#.
Old 02-23-2006, 06:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by blue-ss-camaro
So I guess mine does not have any slp options on it because I have no sticker on the pass. door. I have the WU8 code but not Y2Y code. Also I bought the car new and I did not get the build sheet with it. And there where not slp sticker either. So I guess i just got the Base SS package huh????
You are correct. Everyone thinks a SS has SLP options and that is flat out WRONG. Actually, your car is more unusal then most because it doesn't have options.

Yes, you can get the SLP build # , but it really means nothing. Instead, record, photograph, etc.. the drivers door RPO sticker showing WUB and preserve all the documents (window sticker, MSO, etc...) since you bought the car new. Go back to the dealer you bought it from and see if they by chance have a copy of the Shipping Manifest. It is the actual 'build sheet'.

Quick Reply: To Know if SS is Real