Canadian Members We never leave because we have The Beer Store

Importing an F-Body?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 06:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Importing an F-Body?

Hi all,

I'm new to the site, but have been a long time lurker.

I'm in Calgary, and it seems to me that F-Body prices are quite a bit more here then they are in the southern states. I am contemplating importing an F-Body, probably from Texas.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I am not sure what kind of duties there would be on a car, but I ammsume that because of NAFTA, all I would have to pay is GST. Is that correct?

If anyone has any info on the subject, or knows of some places where I can find some that would be great!

Thanks a lot!

Adam
Old 02-24-2006, 06:56 PM
12 Second Club

I think that it costs the GST and maybe some brokerage to get it cleared across the border. I looked into this and for an enclosed trailer to truck it to my door step was 2800USD. That was from Austin.

Hope this helps a little.
Old 02-24-2006, 07:58 PM
Teching In

I had to search to find this thread again. It says it's in the Canadian Members topic, but I can't find it in there. Any ideas?

And thanks for the reply 98nosz28, I am looking into driving it back myself, but the more info the better.
Old 02-24-2006, 11:42 PM
12 Second Club

I imported my car from Dallas, Texas

What would you like to know?
Old 02-24-2006, 11:51 PM
12 Second Club

Here are some useful references you should look into before considering it,

RIV

Recall Contacts

MTO
Old 02-26-2006, 10:23 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

When I bought my SS a year ago, I was at a local Ottawa dealer and he told me his big order of the day was to try and import a new GTO for a customer. From the list of inadmissable cars it seems that GTOs are off limits. I wonder why. I was thinking of getting one myself.
Old 02-26-2006, 11:53 PM
12 Second Club

It has to do with their bumper crash ratings... they dont comply with Canadian standards.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:19 AM
Teching In

something like it failed the 5km bumper crash test?
Old 02-28-2006, 10:26 PM
Teching In

Default hey dude

Hey man im VERY interested in importing an Firebird/Trans am as well. Fort Mcmurray here BTW. Ive done a bit of research and all i can find there being a problem with is the GST and some sort of import fees at the border (209 bucks or something). You must also contact the US and canadian border people as well 72 hours (more would be ideal i would assume) before your crossing and deliver all paper work in advance (like bill of sale, proof of ownership **** like that). Seems like alot of work, but up here and where i go for days off, Calgary and Edmonton primarily(especially up here), these are quite a rare breed indeed and look pretty sweet.

PS I was planning on buying it, flying down, and driving it up as well, if i have to kill some vacation time might as well have a pretty good time doing it, however apperantly a "one way" plane ticket to the states looks kind of fishy to them so this must be clarified with customs or something to my knowledge. Just what ive found out in a couple hours of phone calls.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:38 PM
Staging Lane

I don't know much about the importing, but that certainly sounds like a cool way to kill some vacation time. Make sure you have some CAA coverage or something, I had the alternator on my Camaro die on the New Jersey turnpike and they love bending over the tourists. lol
Old 03-03-2006, 09:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd look in the autotrader around early spring/late summer to find good deals on f-bodies. I spent 3 years looking for my ls1 camaro (I had my 88 so I wasn't rushing myself).

I found the deal of a lifetime, stock, 74K, ls1/6speed, garage stored hardtop for blue book value! Everything was what I wanted save for color (which has grown on me since buying it). I wanted blue, silver or black.. got Mystic Teal Metallic which pictures do not do justice...
Old 03-03-2006, 10:39 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by bigpetez28
something like it failed the 5km bumper crash test?
Yeah... something along those lines.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:41 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by canuckLS1
Hey man im VERY interested in importing an Firebird/Trans am as well. Fort Mcmurray here BTW. Ive done a bit of research and all i can find there being a problem with is the GST and some sort of import fees at the border (209 bucks or something). You must also contact the US and canadian border people as well 72 hours (more would be ideal i would assume) before your crossing and deliver all paper work in advance (like bill of sale, proof of ownership **** like that). Seems like alot of work, but up here and where i go for days off, Calgary and Edmonton primarily(especially up here), these are quite a rare breed indeed and look pretty sweet.

PS I was planning on buying it, flying down, and driving it up as well, if i have to kill some vacation time might as well have a pretty good time doing it, however apperantly a "one way" plane ticket to the states looks kind of fishy to them so this must be clarified with customs or something to my knowledge. Just what ive found out in a couple hours of phone calls.

Not a lot of work per say... just a lot of red tape... if you do your research, fill out your forms, and know what to expect... its no problem at all.

As for driving it up here, that would make for an awsome vacation... just be sure your insurance covers it. Most companies wont.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:44 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SladeX
I'd look in the autotrader around early spring/late summer to find good deals on f-bodies. I spent 3 years looking for my ls1 camaro (I had my 88 so I wasn't rushing myself).

I found the deal of a lifetime, stock, 74K, ls1/6speed, garage stored hardtop for blue book value! Everything was what I wanted save for color (which has grown on me since buying it). I wanted blue, silver or black.. got Mystic Teal Metallic which pictures do not do justice...
Thats Awsome man.

I was looking for a new car for 2 1/2yrs myself... had my eyes set on a 1999 GSX Eclipse, 5spd, AWD, Metallic Grey... found a few, but they always had problem. About 1 1/2yrs ago the T/A caught my eye... had to be 99+, T-tops, Leather, 6spd, Black or Red... I found her in Texas.

Everytime I look at her I thank GOD I didnt buy a DSM... damn... what was I thinking
Old 03-05-2006, 11:01 PM
Teching In

Wow, this is some great info guys! Thanks a lot. Sorry it took me so long to reply, had some exams last week. But the sites look good jinxedz, thanks.

What did you have to do to the car once you got it into canada to pass inspection? DRL's and kPh speedo? Is that it, or is there more?

Thanks,

Adam
Old 03-06-2006, 11:50 AM
12 Second Club

Neither.

When you go to CrappyTire for the inspection, and it has to be done at CrappyTire, theyll just make you buy a $10 bolt for a child seat restrain to put in the back... you dont even have to put it on. Theyll stamp your forms and youre good to go.

The speedo is already in KPH (right underneath MPH)
Youll already have DRL's
Old 03-08-2006, 08:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

What are the total costs involved?

Say you see a F-body for 15K USD what will it end up costing you when you get it in Canada? (not including shipping costs)

Cheers,
Chris
Old 03-08-2006, 08:56 AM
12 Second Club

3 Main costs are,

Conversion Rate

15,000.00 USD = 17,318.45 CAD
1 USD = 1.15456 CAD
1 CAD = 0.866128 USD

Taxes (GST at the border, PST when you register)

17,318.45 x 1.15 (Ontario) = 19,916.22

Form Fees

$180 Form at customs
$100 A/C Tax
Safety and E-test ($100 or so)
Registration at ministry of transport including plates

So, around 20-21K
Old 03-08-2006, 09:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

cool thanks!!

Can you download the forms off the Internet?
Old 03-10-2006, 07:28 PM
12 Second Club

No problem.

They give you the forms and stamp them in person.

Quick Reply: Importing an F-Body?