Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ATTN: Mustang Guys, Suggestions for hydraulic clutch (fox mustang)

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 01:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ATTN: Mustang Guys, Suggestions for hydraulic clutch (fox mustang)

I am yet another trader to the ford folks. I've got every thing else figured out (I THINK!!). I just need some help with the tranny issues! I would like to keep the stock console, can it be done without the shifter relocation kit? and as far as the clutch M/C, what has worked best for you? I am looking into the Ranger/T-Bird (87-88 Turbo) for the use of their M/C and possibly pedal setup from the bird.

If someone else (which I know have!, Like BRAINS) can help me out with this issue I would be gratefull!

This should be a pretty sick ride when done, 6.0L with heads,cam,intake, T/B and so on. should make an easy 550 at the crank!
Old 03-01-2006, 02:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Mine is an auto, so I kinda took the "easy" way out If I do another, it'll be a stick car.

BUT ... based on where the transmission lines up, the standard shifter location looks like it would be dead nuts in the right location. I can measure it out if someone has a T56 sitting around they can pull measurements from.

I've got plenty of confidence in making the regular LS1 hydraulics work in the Mustang, but no car to work the magic on. I've done something similar on a 1976 Camaro with an SBC and hydraulic clutched T5, I just drilled the hole and built a bracket to mount the hydraulic master to the firewall. Looks factory, works like it should. The guy I built it for is very happy with it. The only real caveat was modifying his long tube headers to clear the slave cylinder -- with an LS1, that would obviously not be an issue.
Old 03-01-2006, 03:40 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Brains
Mine is an auto, so I kinda took the "easy" way out If I do another, it'll be a stick car.

BUT ... based on where the transmission lines up, the standard shifter location looks like it would be dead nuts in the right location. I can measure it out if someone has a T56 sitting around they can pull measurements from.

I've got plenty of confidence in making the regular LS1 hydraulics work in the Mustang, but no car to work the magic on. I've done something similar on a 1976 Camaro with an SBC and hydraulic clutched T5, I just drilled the hole and built a bracket to mount the hydraulic master to the firewall. Looks factory, works like it should. The guy I built it for is very happy with it. The only real caveat was modifying his long tube headers to clear the slave cylinder -- with an LS1, that would obviously not be an issue.
I will ahve a T56 w/bell and slave here in a few days! I could get measurements from it. as far as the hydrollics , i need to get with you on that! I am also now wondering about the use of 351 long tubes with this setup. I wonder if they will clear the slave? I've got the wiring issue covered since I build Harnesses for both stick and auto (4L60 &80E's).

Brains you think it would be possible to get you Ph #, if so PM it to me! I dont live to far from you, I'm in Conroe.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:30 PM
LX1
Staging Lane

Depends on the k-member you use. I used a pa-racing k-member with SBC mounts. And s&p motor mount brackets w/ sbc solid mounts. Puts the shifter axactly in the center of the hole. The 4.6 k-member with modified mounts moves the motor and trans back a couple of inches. This will require you to cut into the trans hump and maybe the counsel.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Keep in mind, the LS1 T56 doesn't use an external slave cylinder - its mounted to the front cover of the transmission, surrounding the input shaft. No header clearance issues, except maybe where the line exits

I don't like giving out my #, too many people actually call it -- and I *hate* phones Just PM or email, its easier on me (seriously).

Quick Reply: ATTN: Mustang Guys, Suggestions for hydraulic clutch (fox mustang)