LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

valve cover breather

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 01:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok it is supposed to drop into the factory grommet. what grommet? could you post up a couple of install tips or so? it sounds like a great idea, since i was unaware that my engine was shooting oil in my intake. always wondered why it was so oily. lol
Old 04-14-2006, 07:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by buffman
I'm assuming it just allows it to drain back into the valve cover..

My friend ran one of those things you showed in a picture on his fresh air hose, and he (healthy engine too) had filled the thing up in no time
If this was a N/A app then mabey he has other issues. Either way I'd rather know how much is getting trapped then not.
Old 04-14-2006, 07:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Honda Hunter
If it's a seperator where is the oil going or does it just filter it out? If so I dont see that lasting, the filter that is. I like these kits http://www.steeda.com/store/images/e...5-3710-450.jpg so Ill be able to trak how much oil is been caught.
I have a catch can like that run on mine. I installed it inline between the PCV valve and where that line goes into the intake manifold under the TB. I couldn't use the factory line but I just ran it with 3/8 fuel line. I have had it installed for about 10,000 miles and have already removed about 1/2 quart of oil from it. Save yourself some money and just go to Lowes or Sears or somewhere and just pick one up for about $10-20.00 all you need is an inline filter for an air compressor, mine looks exactly like the one in the picture.

I also have the BF412 inline filter on the passenger side valve cover like was mentioned above. It fits in there like it was supposed to be there, you just have to remove the elbow to get it in there. I usually change mine every 2 oil changes or sooner if it looks like it needs it, they are only about $5.00 from autozone.
Old 04-15-2006, 12:28 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by imnotplutonium
ok it is supposed to drop into the factory grommet. what grommet? could you post up a couple of install tips or so? it sounds like a great idea, since i was unaware that my engine was shooting oil in my intake. always wondered why it was so oily. lol

yeah just remove the little plastic elbow in the passenger side valve cover, then the grommet (rubber thing in the valvecover) is the right size to accept the seperator. Detach hose from plastic elbow and and attach to seperator.
Old 04-15-2006, 10:51 AM
TECH Addict

So youre running the Deutsch BF412 Breather Filter with a catch can? If so doesnt it make more sence to have the filter after the catch can rather than before to allow the catch can to catch the oil and the filter to clean the oil vapor? Either way anything is better than stock.
Most people using a seperator from Lowes or Home Depot end up removing the filter inside. It clearly states not for use with synthetic oils. After a miles of driving they notice the catch can only fills up to a certain point then stops. Alot of people say it's the filter and some say it's just the size of the can, filling the catch can effectively shrinks the wide spot in the line. This results in less pressure drop and the performance of the can falls off.
I want something like the lowes/home depot setup but I want a filter for the oil vapors also. Does both our valve covers on LT1's have holes for pcv valves or just the passenger?
If you or anyone could make a part list of what they used that would be great. I really dont feel good about driving around with a K&N breather so I'm exploring all the setups I can. Also there is no home depot, lowes, Vato Zone, or Rice boys here so it's hard to find what I need fast.

Originally Posted by horsekilla 95TA
I have a catch can like that run on mine. I installed it inline between the PCV valve and where that line goes into the intake manifold under the TB. I couldn't use the factory line but I just ran it with 3/8 fuel line. I have had it installed for about 10,000 miles and have already removed about 1/2 quart of oil from it. Save yourself some money and just go to Lowes or Sears or somewhere and just pick one up for about $10-20.00 all you need is an inline filter for an air compressor, mine looks exactly like the one in the picture.

I also have the BF412 inline filter on the passenger side valve cover like was mentioned above. It fits in there like it was supposed to be there, you just have to remove the elbow to get it in there. I usually change mine every 2 oil changes or sooner if it looks like it needs it, they are only about $5.00 from autozone.
Old 04-15-2006, 12:04 PM
12 Second Club

A parts list would be awesome and in install pictorial would be most excellent.
Old 04-15-2006, 12:10 PM
TECH Addict

Also learned after futher searching that most people say you dont need a filter as long as the hose you use is long enough. They say the vapors traveling through a long line and a cold catch can is enough to prevent the vapors from getting to the t/b. I wish there was a cheap small vaccum pump that could be used. I saw a write for this on a mustang board in the 5.0 section some years ago. I may try to dig it up.
Old 04-15-2006, 12:28 PM
TECH Addict

Found this http://www.fastbygast.com/Catagories...n/VacuumII.asp but it looks freegin huge and heavy. Who knows where knock off greddy cans can be had?
Old 04-16-2006, 04:40 PM
On The Tree

The BF412 filter is connected from the valve cover into the original line that goes from the passenger side valve cover to the passenger side of the TB.

The inline catch can is in the line that comes from the PCV valve in the driver side of the intake manifold and goes to a vaccum source in the intake manifold under the TB. I also took the internal filter out of the catch can, it says no synthetic oil on the side of it but that is what I use and it hasn't had any kind of effect on mine.

They are not on the same line. I probably could have just gotten away with the catch can but I already had installed the BF412 filter before I did the catch can. I couldn't find any other LT1 guys running the catch can when I did it so I wasn't sure how effective it would be, but I tried it and it definetly keeps alot of oil from going into the manifold. So far I have stopped about a 1/2 quart from going through the intake manifold.

If you have any more questions I will answer them the best I can. Maybe I can get some pics up sometime.
Old 04-16-2006, 04:48 PM
On The Tree

So youre running the Deutsch BF412 Breather Filter with a catch can? If so doesnt it make more sence to have the filter after the catch can rather than before to allow the catch can to catch the oil and the filter to clean the oil vapor? Either way anything is better than stock.
Most people using a seperator from Lowes or Home Depot end up removing the filter inside. It clearly states not for use with synthetic oils. After a miles of driving they notice the catch can only fills up to a certain point then stops. Alot of people say it's the filter and some say it's just the size of the can, filling the catch can effectively shrinks the wide spot in the line. This results in less pressure drop and the performance of the can falls off.
I want something like the lowes/home depot setup but I want a filter for the oil vapors also. Does both our valve covers on LT1's have holes for pcv valves or just the passenger?
If you or anyone could make a part list of what they used that would be great. I really dont feel good about driving around with a K&N breather so I'm exploring all the setups I can. Also there is no home depot, lowes, Vato Zone, or Rice boys here so it's hard to find what I need fast.
I used:
(1) Mini In-line Catch Can w/ 1/4 pipe thread inlet/outlet
(2) 1/4 inch pipe male pipe thread brass fittings with a nipple for 3/8 fuel line
(4) Small Hose clamps
(1 1/2-2 ft) 3/8 fuel line

That was all I needed for the catch can setup. I will put up a write up of the install later tonight.
Old 04-16-2006, 04:56 PM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

i dunno about nitrous... but you have the either put a check valve into the pcv system or a breather on a car with boost because the boost will go through the hole in the throttle body and pressure up the crank case and that is when you will blow out your dip stick and make a mess with oil...

a check valve in the pcv hose will mkae it so boost cant enter the crankcase
Old 04-16-2006, 05:06 PM
TECH Regular

The BF412 filter is connected from the valve cover into the original line that goes from the passenger side valve cover to the passenger side of the TB.

The inline catch can is in the line that comes from the PCV valve in the driver side of the intake manifold and goes to a vaccum source in the intake manifold under the TB. I also took the internal filter out of the catch can, it says no synthetic oil on the side of it but that is what I use and it hasn't had any kind of effect on mine.

They are not on the same line. I probably could have just gotten away with the catch can but I already had installed the BF412 filter before I did the catch can. I couldn't find any other LT1 guys running the catch can when I did it so I wasn't sure how effective it would be, but I tried it and it definetly keeps alot of oil from going into the manifold. So far I have stopped about a 1/2 quart from going through the intake manifold.

If you have any more questions I will answer them the best I can. Maybe I can get some pics up sometime.

I for one would definatley like to see some pics on this because im lost. PCV valve on the drivers side of the intake manifold?

Havent noticed that one on my car. I just pulled apart the throttle body to put on a bigger size and the only oil I noticed getting inside the intake was from the line comming off of the pcv valve on the passenger side valve cover. As oily as everything was I can see catching a quart of oil from that line.
Old 04-16-2006, 05:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Dragframe
i dunno about nitrous... but you have the either put a check valve into the pcv system or a breather on a car with boost because the boost will go through the hole in the throttle body and pressure up the crank case and that is when you will blow out your dip stick and make a mess with oil...

a check valve in the pcv hose will mkae it so boost cant enter the crankcase
Word on the street for the boosted guys is to use a pcv valve from the Ford 2.3l turbo Mustang or one from a Supra. I look foward to seeing HK's setup. I'm still unclear if there is a hole in the drivers side valve cover. If my car was wasnt getting a new tranny I'd check but I think I'm going to go with a Deutsch BF412 Breather Filter with a Campbell Hausfeld or equivelent while retaining the filter (wont go synthetic for a while). That should be more than enough if not overkill. I also want to try different lengths of hose. Like I wrote before, it is said the length of hose can make a big diff regarding the vapors. I may be nuking this but I want to retain vaccum one way or the other. I'm also doing some research on more electric vacuum setups. Cant seem to find anything thats not huge or price effective.
Old 04-16-2006, 05:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Lethal Z
I for one would definatley like to see some pics on this because im lost. PCV valve on the drivers side of the intake manifold?

Havent noticed that one on my car. I just pulled apart the throttle body to put on a bigger size and the only oil I noticed getting inside the intake was from the line comming off of the pcv valve on the passenger side valve cover. As oily as everything was I can see catching a quart of oil from that line.
Odd enough most of the SVT boosted guys noticed it always came from one side while the other would be dry.
Old 04-16-2006, 08:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Lethal Z

http://shbox.com/1/pcv.jpg

That is where my PCV valve is this is on the driver side of the intake manifold. The vaccume line that leaves the PCV valve runs down the drivers lide of the intake manifold and connects to a nipple coming out of the intake manifold right under the Throttle body. Most of the line is metal and about 5/16 in diameter exept the ends which are plastic. This line runs along the intake manifold under the fuel rail. This is the line that I removed and made up a new line from 3/8 fuel line with the catch can setup inline. You would not notice the oil that comes through this line because it would not come in through the throttle body it comes in through the PCV valve I believe and it is being pulled through the line from the nipple at the base of the intake. The PCV valve stands for Positive Crankcase Ventilation Valve so this nipple must be open to the lifter valley on the bottom of the intake this is where the PCV valve is pulling from.

The line on my car that comes from the passenger side valve cover is not the pcv valve that is just another vaccume line that goes to the TB. There is an elbow on the end of this line that could be confused with a PCV valve but it is not. I will try to get some pics this week maybe my car is just setup completely different but all of the other LT1's I have looked at looked just like mine.

Last edited by horsekilla 95TA; 04-16-2006 at 08:24 PM.
Old 04-16-2006, 08:35 PM
TECH Addict

Where can the Deutsch BF412 Breather Filter be purchased?
Old 04-16-2006, 11:03 PM
On The Tree

Where can the Deutsch BF412 Breather Filter be purchased?
Autozone should have them.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:34 PM
TECH Addict

http://shbox.com/1/pcv.jpg

The line on my car that comes from the passenger side valve cover is not the pcv valve that is just another vaccume line that goes to the TB. There is an elbow on the end of this line that could be confused with a PCV valve but it is not. I will try to get some pics this week maybe my car is just setup completely different but all of the other LT1's I have looked at looked just like mine.

Yeah that's the fresh air hose. Based on description and diagrams in the FSM it sucks air out of the valve cover and also sucks air into it, aka recirculating like I said according to the FSM. driver's side VC has no openings. Passenger side has the hole for fresh air hose and for filler cap.

I removed my 10 month old Deutsch BF412 Breather Filter (replaced with new one) and sprayed a big hefty amount of brake cleaner inside of it and to my surprise what came out wasn't very brown at all. I didn't have time to take it apart, but I'll will take this one apart in a few months to see how much oil is trapped inside of it. The vent hose leading to the TB was dry..
Old 05-23-2006, 12:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by buffman
Yeah that's the fresh air hose. Based on description and diagrams in the FSM it sucks air out of the valve cover and also sucks air into it, aka recirculating like I said according to the FSM. driver's side VC has no openings. Passenger side has the hole for fresh air hose and for filler cap.

I removed my 10 month old Deutsch BF412 Breather Filter (replaced with new one) and sprayed a big hefty amount of brake cleaner inside of it and to my surprise what came out wasn't very brown at all. I didn't have time to take it apart, but I'll will take this one apart in a few months to see how much oil is trapped inside of it. The vent hose leading to the TB was dry..
That is not in the Valve cover that is the PCV valve that is in the drivers side of the INTAKE manifold, about halfway down. You are right there is nothing in the drivers side valve cover.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:34 PM
Staging Lane

when using the Deutsch BF412 did anyone, trim the bottom of the grommet on the valve cover. I did, cause I noticed that the grommet blocked off most of the entry ways in to the Deutsch BF412. the only entry that the grommet did not block off was the small cut at the botttom of the Deutsch BF412

Quick Reply: valve cover breather